NetSpace vs TimeToWin

Something I’ve noticed over the past couple of months - when the NetSpace goes up, my TimeToWin goes down (as shown in Chia GUI or via CLI). This seems counter intuitive, with the reverse being what you might expect.

Anyone else noticed this, or know why this is so ? :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Silly question, are you still plotting? Or is your plot space staying the same?

1 Like

Plotted space is static. I do plot in fits and starts, when I have new media to fill, but 80-90% of the time it is static number of plots.

1 Like

My ETW has been 8 days pretty consistently. But I don’t look at it very often.

1 Like

Specifically, no, but I can make a couple of guesses. With other coins I’ve toyed with, the difficulty and hashrate (netspace in our case) aren’t completely married - there is a window that averages out and rolls along with time. I’m not sure what the window is for Chia but basically I assume the time to win is actually based on “old news.”

Another possibility is that difficulty itself is calculated by a lagging window - although I’m not sure how far back it would go (hours, minutes, etc).

1 Like

So NetSpace and TTW are effectively out of phase with each other by an (undertermined) amount - that sounds very plausible, thanks for feedback. :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Absolutely! And that’s why pool hopping and algo switching were popular - one could game the system and always mine the most profitable way. Chia has less of an issue with that of course (plotting time and switching pool NFTs).

1 Like

Diff adjusts every 4608 blocks.

Seems just wrong, i cant really comment though, as i rarely look at gui and track it with farmr, my days have been constant for ages, my expected daily income always rises as netspace drops and vice versa.

1 Like