Noob needs help

Hi all,

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I am new to Chia, and would like some second opinion on my decisions and have some queries.

I will be assembling the following rig in a few days

• PSU Gigabyte 750W
  • Motherboard Asrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard
  • CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (16 cores, 32 threads)
  • DRAM Cucial Ballistix 64 GB DDR4 3600
  • 1 SSD 2,5" 240 GB for WIndows 10 (i know ubuntu is better but windows for now)
  • 2 x Sabrent 2TB NVMe PCIe 4 for plotting
  • 4 x 16TB Seaget EXOS 16 HDD for farming

WIth the following formula, i have come up with some (rounded)numbers

• CPU is limited by this formula: (Cores + Threads)/2 - (16+32)/2 = 24
  • RAM is limited by this formula: (Total System RAM)/3400 - 64000/3400= 18
  • Temp Space is limited by this formula: (Total Temp Space)GB/256GB - (2+2)GB/256GB = 15

My main cause of concerns area as follows -

sticking with plot size of k=32 239 GiB

Is it ok to run the 2 x NVMe in RAID 0 so i could have 15 plots running in parallel with 40 minute delay ?
also
the farming drives 4 x 16tb HDD to be in RAID 0 to act like 1 x 64tb drive ?

Thanks for reading, would really appreciate your input.

1 Like

No definitely don’t put your storage drive in RAID0, just keep them as JBOD. Otherwise if any of the drives has a problem you could lose all your plots.
Also, there is no advantage to this, just make sure not all your plots are going to the same hdd at the same time.

Possible at least, but no guarantees on the speed it ill get. Some people have great results with raid, others not so much.

Thanks a bunch for your help, really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome, may I ask how did you get the 40 minutes stagger number? thanks

Thank you :slight_smile:

I read in a few posts to have 30 to 60 minute delay, so i just thought maybe 40 would be a good number hence no science behind it really lol

1 Like

The optimal stagger is, IMO, ~57% of the total process time – when P2 completes.

If you have plenty of cores available you don’t need to stagger too much, just delay to allow time for the plots to copy without stepping on each other and slowing down the total copy time.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply

so for example, if a plot takes 100 minues i should stagger the next plotby 57 minutes ?