Optimizing plotting on an AMD Ryzen 5950x (or any other 16c/32t CPU)

512 buckets, 20 threads, to Seagate USB externals
One plot at a time (hence “serial”)

Not predicted, and madMAx does not pause plotting during transfers so it doesn’t affect the numbers unless there is an IO constraint (there isn’t with mine).

Good tips, even at stock it can get to 85° C with a cheap Arctic Freezer air cooler, so I don’t want to use PBO right now but I may buy a better cooler at some point.

Nice but i wonder if it’s the 4 drives or what. I’m using 3 drives in raid0 and I get about 66 plots. Any other meaningful changes? Are you overclocking? How many threads? I’m getting the same times as some people that are using a ramdisk for tmp2, so really curious what’s the difference with you.

I have a Arctic Liquid Freezer 360 rev.4 with offset mouting and Thermal Grizzly kryonaut, cinebench R20 temps arround 80C
On 16 parallel ploting arround 62C

You make 66 plots a day with madmax or what?

Yes about that much. Why are you still parallel plotting?

I’m going to switch to btrfs raid0 and see if that makes a difference.

Wow, that’s some very interesting info over there. Correct me if I’m wrong, so you are saying that moving files to destination hard disk while plotting doesn’t cause any downtime with the plotter? Your CPU isn’t on I/O waits while moving file and plotting are happening at the same time? And you have run the plotter 24hr non stop while plotting and moving files are constantly happening?

If that’s the case, then I must say this is very impressive indeed!

I can’t speak for everyone but the reads necessary to copy the plots are insignificant to my raid read speed.

very interesting indeed. Guess I’ll need to try more with raids then. Thanks for the info

It did, but for the worse. For me mdadm raid0 is faster.

To be clear, in MadMax, set the destination folder to your -t folder and there is no pause. If you set the -d to another drive it will stop and copy the completed file to its destination. If you have -t (on by default so ignore -d) as the destination folder it will finish and start on the next plot right away.

I learned this first hand on my 2nd run.

Dear all, I have got an old Threadripper 2950X ,ALSO 16-Core*, 32-Thread
By madmax in Windows 10 version, even with 128 G memory disk as temp 2 drive,
I still make the time from 50-55 minutes, which is quite depressing from what I saw here…
Maybe the old Gen 2 with lower close 4GHZ CPU is not suitable for plotting anyway…
Anyone have similar situation ?

System spec:
Threadripper 2950X
128G 2800MHZ DDR4 as temp2
2G NVME as temp1

with madman for around 3000 s every time~~

Did anyone try plotting with Madmax with 110GB Ramdisk for tmpdir2? I’m wondering if the results are better for ramdisk or nvmes on raid0

I’m curious about this setup as well, 81 plots per day without ramdisk is insane! What OS are you using? Are you overclocking the CPU? Did you use all 32 threads to make this plot?

I am plotting with MadMax. I got around 57 plots/day without parallel and without having to optimize anything.

I use DDR4-2666 RAM as my -2. I am using 30 threads as I found it faster than using the whole 32 threads and a lot faster than using 28 threads.

I am not using RAID0 with my Corsair MP600 *2. I use only one of them as I don’t see it necessary to plot any faster with my current HDD space. In fact, in the future, I will plot only on RAM to eliminate SSD cost entirely. I will save another one for games :joy:

EDIT: I am plotting on Ubuntu 21.04.

Nice, 57-60 plots a day sounds achievable and good enough metrics. But how are you going to plot only on RAM in the future? Is there an AM4 mobo with 8 RAM slots? I’ve been searching but couldn’t find one of those.

To plot on RAM for both -t and -2, you need at least 256 GB of RAM. That’s achievable by having 64GB *4 RAM. But I would go with 256 *4 if I could so I can parallel plotting.

In Linux, you can mount RAM space and bind to a folder with only one single command:

sudo mount -t tmpfs -o size=110G tmpfs /home/user/ram/

Therefore you can use RAM to whatever you want provided you got enough RAM. The above example I bind RAM space to my ram folder in my home directory. And size=110G is the recommended size for -2. But you can add more than 110G if you want.

I have 3 machines:

5950x with 110G ramdisk + 3x 970 Evo Plus 2TB in Raid
512 buckets, 20 threads
Between 1265 and 1301 seconds

5900x with 64GB ram + 970 Pro 1TB as Temp1 and 980 Pro 1TB as Temp2
512 Buckets + 12 Threads
Around 1600 Seconds

9900k clocked at 5Ghz all cores + 16GB ram + 970 Evo Plus 2TB as Temp 1 and SN750 2TB as Temp 2
Around 43 minutes.

how many mhz are your memories? and why dont you use 30-32 threads on the 5950x and 22-24 threads on the 5900x?