Optimizing plotting on an AMD Ryzen 5950x (or any other 16c/32t CPU)

Oh yeah AMD is a godsend for Chia. You want lots of cores, and fast cores, and AMD is kicking butt at both of those things at the moment.

Intel is busy protecting their lucrative Xeon server business, so they don’t want average joes like me and you to have “too many” cores… AMD is the reason we have higher core counts. Look how long it took to go to dual core (that was AMD, remember, in 2006), and how long it took before more than 4 cores was kinda standard and mainstream… heck I would argue more than 4 cores still isn’t mainstream because Intel is holding back to protect their server Xeon business.

4 Likes

So for some background info here I’m running a 5900x with 3 2tb nvme and felt like I was failing pretty hard. It is refreshing to hear that 50 plots a day is the target people are aiming for! I had been comparing myself to the 86.5 a user claimed on a spreadsheet I had come across for a 5900x setup. Maybe I am just misunderstanding the document, are any of you familiar with the context of it?

2 Likes

So much for 50 a day. My machine keeps rebooting in middle of the night. I know these AMD 5950x can be sensitive to BIOS/EFI settings. Set everything to default and see if it helps.

1 Like

I will tell you setting high ram speeds resulted in EXTREME wackiness on my 5950x. If I had it on auto (2400mhz) with the “teamgroup” RAM it was OK, any other setting and it was crashtown USA. I tested this using Prime95 and the “large memory” test. That’s great for sussing out RAM problems quickly.

It’s now on 3000mhz with the Crucial RAM and doing fine. I honestly don’t think RAM speed is a big issue, so I wouldn’t fret over it.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get one of these for weeks! May I ask how you got your hands on one?

I think monolith results (5900x with 18plots 4,8h per plot) are a mistake in editing or something else…

1 Like

Have you got PBO/CO enabled?

1 Like

Yeah I had mine on 3200mhz (its ECC ram too). Going to try run 2400 and see if it makes it through the night :joy:. I remember reading forums about what a big deal higher mhz ram was on ryzen, but maybe thats a bigger deal on 1st gen and 2nd gen Ryzen.

Don’t think so, but I’ll double check. I didn’t turn on overclocking. There’s quite a lot of options in there… most of which I have no clue about hehe.

Anyone please help me
I am having
Amd5950x
2x2tb WD black
64gb ram

Please tell me the ram usage and threads I have to put each plot files for parallel plotting
My stagger time is 8300 sec in 6 GB ram and 5 threads

See How Many Plots Can I Make a Day? – The Chia Farmer

2 ques of 8 plots, 40min ish stagger between plots, 3t/4000mb per plot, see how that runs.

Best way to do it, have a play, trial and error, see what works best for your setup.

Love this discussion. My B550 MB is great for what it is, same for the X570 I likely should have bought, didn’t know chia then. However, I see plotting potential hamstrung by PCI-E slot restrictions on B550, less so on X570. Result- Threadripper (16C/32T) about to arrive may solve them. Lot’s of PCI-E 4.0 x16 and x8 slots, useable no limits! Maybe I can >50 plots/day. We’ll see.

1 Like

My doubt is ihave to give plot in parallel with ram 4000 and no of threads to 3 t or 24 t

I strongly recommend 4 threads per plot, because it speeds up phase 1 quite a bit. That’s the only multi-threaded phase but it is also the longest phase.

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

4t, any more than that is pretty much wasted. Thread count is per plot, not the whole que.

1 Like

I’m running 5900x with 64GB ram and 2 Intel 4510 TB SSDs for temp. Can anyone recommend optimal plotman settings to get me started. Do I leave it at 2 threads and balance the stagger to get it to say 12 plots in parallel?

Personally I would choose 4 threads, since it only matters during phase 1 – that’s the only multithreaded phase – and going from 2 to 4 threads is a solid ~15% perf time improvement in the data I’ve seen, and in my own tests.

1 Like