Optimizing plotting on an AMD Ryzen 5950x (or any other 16c/32t CPU)

Hi, chia farmers!

Today I hit 55. I’ll share my settings.

• CPU: 5950x PBO enabled. (running 4.7Ghz most of time)
  • RAM: 32Gb x 4 3200Mhz cl18
  • SSD: Samsung 980 pro 2TB x 4 with Asus Hyper M.2 (raid 0 using mdadm, filesystem: ext4)

plotman.yaml

tmpdir_max_jobs: 20
scheduling:
        # Run a job on a particular temp dir only if the number of existing jobs
        # before tmpdir_stagger_phase_major tmpdir_stagger_phase_minor
        # is less than tmpdir_stagger_phase_limit.
        # Phase major corresponds to the plot phase, phase minor corresponds to
        # the table or table pair in sequence, phase limit corresponds to
        # the number of plots allowed before [phase major, phase minor]
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_major: 2
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_minor: 1
        # Optional: default is 1
        tmpdir_stagger_phase_limit: 5

# Don't run more than this many jobs at a time on a single temp dir.
        tmpdir_max_jobs: 20

# Don't run more than this many jobs at a time in total.
        global_max_jobs: 21

# Don't run any jobs (across all temp dirs) more often than this, in minutes.
        global_stagger_m: 20

# How often the daemon wakes to consider starting a new plot job, in seconds.
        polling_time_s: 20

plotting:
        k: 32
        e: False             # Use -e plotting option
        n_threads: 4         # Threads per job
        n_buckets: 128       # Number of buckets to split data into
        job_buffer: 6144
9 Likes

Even though the number of maximum temp job is limited by 20, jobs never exceed 15 because it finishes within 6hr±5min.

2 Likes

Well done! :clap: thanks for sharing this!

Very impressive thanks for sharing! Is there any significance of 6144 memory? And does the 5950x seem to be the bottleneck with this setup?

In fact, I just want to utilize my huge memory that’s all.
I don’t think there’s bottleneck since CPU I/O wait time is under 10 sec. 4x 980 pro raid 0 rocks!

2 Likes

I have a 5950x, 64gb with a single Force MP600 2TB, due to limited SSD availability.

So I am running 8 plots in parallel, staggered, through plotman. Allocating 4 threads each.

I can confirm 20-22k seconds per plot.
What amazes me is that I easily get 28 plots per day, with just one NVME drive.

I am expecting to receive two more drives tomorrow. But I believe this shows that plotting is less bottlenecked by the nvme drives than I originally thought.

I’ve seen recommendations for xfs on the temp drive, over ext4

I tried xfs for temp but I thought it has stability issue. Basically I solved the issue with RAM spot cooling & changing file system from xfs to ext4. problem solved. I did those actions simultaneously, so I can’t tell what the real problem was.

Do we know why it is faster? Where does Windows bottleneck that Linux does not?

That’s quite surprising. I’ve seen so many people having trouble plotting 8 on a 2TB disk

Would be really interesting to know what happens if you have two of those drives and plot 4 on each instead of 8 on one.

I’m currently on the thinking that both CPU and Nvme can be bottleneck at the same time.
Some parts of the process seem to go faster with a better CPU, regardless of the drive
Some parts of the process seem to go faster with a better Nvme, regardless of CPU

I dunno the more times and setups I see coming by the more difficult it becomes to figure out what affects plotting speed and to what degree. But in general, yes it seems that CPU speed and overall system balance are key and that nvme is a smaller part than you would think based on many articles out there

Crazy. Its a journal based system. extra writes for nothing as every write requires a journal write. ext4 is king with some tweaks

The SSD can be a huge bottleneck for high throughput sustained plotting though if you got the wrong model. TLDR, get a Samsung Pro

IMO asynchronous discard is more beneficial than tweaking ext4 journaling and this is only possible with XFS and Btrfs.

Yes I know the video, but that’s why it’s so surprising to see someone with rather good times on a MP600 with 8 plots on 1x2TB, that has a pretty low sustained write speed.

I think nonoptimal software configuration is why there is often vastly different results reported with similar hardware.

1 Like

See Is Linux really 10% faster at plotting than Windows?

I see, the lack of 128 bit long double support in Microsoft’s C++ compliler is what is hampering us. Maybe someone could do an adaptation of the code for the Intel C++ compiler for Windows that does support it? My C++ is way to rusty to attempt this myself.

1 Like

Any idea how can I do this in Powershell in Windows. I can’t install Plotman because I dont have Linux.
Thanks,

That’s not possible apparently. But there’s a project porting plotman into Windows environment.

GitHub - wolfrage76/windows-plotman: Attempt at a Windows version of the plotman Chia Plot Manager system

2 Likes

there are also other plottools for windows, SWAR’s plotmanager also works quite well

1 Like