Plotting halts whenever 1.6.2 client is disconnected from Internet

Does anybody else have this problem where it halts whenever it loses the internet? I am using the mad Max CPU plotter in GUI. It usually resumes when connections are restored but sometimes I have to restart.

When I plotted initially a bit over a year ago with version earlier than 1.5 it would not care if it lost internet. Such a strange problem. Ideally I would leave it disconnected 99% of the time because I don’t care if it syncs or not they are just plotterboxes right now.

2 Likes

I think mine was working with MM on GUI on 1.6.2 as long as I let the plot start writing data first before turning it off like you had on your 1.5 setup. On my laptop I could flip it to airplane mode and it would finish the plot (Windows 10), on the desktop same thing, 1.6.2, GUI and Ubuntu I could turn the wifi adapter off. Your procedure sounds fine, that should be working…

One thing I have noticed is that the little slider bar halts but it was still plotting… it’s a little buggy. Sometimes I had an essentially finished plot hanging out in the temp folder and it just needed a rename to plot and I could move the file myself. Sometimes it would stick at 20% or 85% or whatever but it was still producing that plot. Does your CPU still show load? Or check the temp directory to see if files are still crunching? I haven’t had a plot go internet dependent after starting the process so this sounds really funky!

No it halts, process not using CPU cycles, no IO. I don’t look at the GUI progress bar it is not reliable when looking thru Chrome remote desktop.
Edit all 6 or so boxes, same behavior windows 10

1 Like

Wild! Sorry friend, I have no insight. If you can dig up a copy of 1.6.0 or other version it might be worth rolling back in this case. We’re talking plotting rigs so up-to-date may not be critical.

Another option to try is to flag the database file as “read only” on the properties. It might fool it into hanging out without wasting bandwidth, but I can’t guarantee it.

So when u disconnected the Internet, yours would continue the current plot, then halt or would it continue 2 the next?
Anybody else can u test?

Never stopped plotting, but the progress bar stops a lot for me. Annoying but usually not critical issue.

Oh, I see what you are saying. Yeah, if it doesn’t clear that last plot it won’t start another. That does happen then.

Have you tried simply running mm from the command line?

Afaik its then irrelevant if chia is open or closed. Connected or dissconnected.

2 Likes

I have been plotting via the command line, since version 1.1.6 (back then, only with the legacy plotter.
But later, with madmax).

At times, on both Windows and Linux OS’s.
Two of the boxes (one Windows and one Linux) have no internet access.

The above plotting was always via the command line. Once you have a script set up (and it can be a simple, one line script), it makes plotting a breeze.

This does not solve @danwat1234’s GUI plotting issue. But if @danwat1234 gives the command line a shot, it will get him plotting, again, and he will probably prefer the command line.

Sometimes using a different tool is preferable to fixing a problematic tool.

1 Like

I really think thats highly dependant on if they need the gui open and im not guessing / assuming.

If they dont need the gui running IMO it certainly does solve the issue, but to each their own.

Even if he needs the GUI open, the command line plotting will act independently.
Command line plotting should work with or without the GUI.

2 Likes