Plotting questions; GPU. Which program?

Hi,

I haven’t been involved with CHIA for a long time.
5015 normal pool plots.

I would now like to re-plot these. Compressed.

My plotter. I have a server mainboard.

• SuperMicro X9DRi-F
  • 2 x Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12C,24T; 2,70Ghz)
  • 2x Seagate Firecuda 520 512GB
  • 256GB (8x32GB) Samsung PC3-L-12800L 4Rx4 ECC
  • 1 x Nvidia Tesla M40 (24GB, GDDR5)

So far I didn’t need the Tesla GPU. Now I would like to install it.
I would have 3 x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots.
I could buy another 256GB RAM, if needed.

Basically, the setup should be enough (?) K32

Now I have already read some things today.
MadMaxx with fees
or
Bladebit (does he have fees?)

The following questions I have:

• Which is recommended? (Madmaxx or Bladebit)

• Plotting I would on Linux (which Distri? ubuntu 20.04 I still have from back then at the run)

• Client: Windows 10
    How does this run? Normal Chia client? + Bladebit/Madmaxx parallel?
    Here I still need a 2nd graphics card. I guess that the Tesla M40 won’t do much. I would like to take the 4060TI with 16GB.
    For C7.
    Any objections? Comments? Suggestions for improvement?

Thanks

1 Like

Your setup is ok for plotting. Farming happens like usual but requires decompression, GPU is more efficient (usually people use 3060ti)

MM is already out and available. BB is still in alpha testing and experimental, you can do C7 maximum (which is equivalent to C6 on MM) and gpu farming is starting to be available on this alpha channel.

MM has fees, BB won’t.

Things you have to look for :

• proper C value for your GPU and current/future amount of plots
  • proper sizing for plot filter reduction (first from 512 to 256 soon) which doubles compute cost
  • proper networking for transfering plots since GPU plotting is a lot faster than CPU plotting

For you at this point in time, it’s basically a choice of going over MMC6 (BBC7) or not, using proprietary software or sticking with Chia software.

And I want to add that uncompressed is uncompetitive anymore, since lower compression levels give 10-15% extra space with basically no compute.

2 Likes
proper C value for your GPU and current/future amount of plots

BB with C7 for 5015 uncompressed plots (approx. 6820 GPU plots)

proper sizing for plot filter reduction (first from 512 to 256 soon) which doubles compute cost

This is given by CHIA-Client and not by me (?)

proper networking for transfering plots since GPU plotting is a lot faster than CPU plotting

Uninteresting. I take e.g. 3-5 HDD out of the productive system. These go to the plotter. When they are full they go back to the productive system.

For you at this point in time, it’s basically a choice of going over MMC6 (BBC7) or not, using proprietary software or sticking with Chia software.
And THAT is the question now. I did not understand it until now. I would like to stay with the original CHIA software. Is that possible with BB?
What is the procedure here? The original CHIA software will not finish plotting the plots. Surely something must run in parallel(?)

Bladebit is from Chia Network, so no fees there.

which is recommend?..personal choice. Gigahorse (madmax) is much further along and fully released but with fees.
That said, with your setup, you should be able to plot just fine with Bladebit alpha as well. But it is alpha and can have issues.

I have been plotting with bladebit on very similar system,:

• SuperMicro X9DRi-F
  • 2 x Xeon 2630L v2
  • 256GB ddr3-12800
  • GTX 1070 ti
    that gives me just under 5 minute per plot K32

Client:
For Gigahorse I believe you run the Gigahorse software together with the Chia client, but not too familiar with that.
Bladebit farmer is built into the Chia alpha builds (plotter is separate download for now)

For 5000 plots, a 4060ti is overkill (one thing is for farming you don’t need a lot of Vram). Something like a tesla p4 would be fine, maybe even the M40 dunno about that
Both Gigahorse and Bladebit have google sheets with farm simulator results (and you can simulate yourself )

Gigahorse

Bladebit
Note: Bladebit should be getting better in future releases, these results are much too low now

2 Likes

ahhh… Thanks Voodoo.

Then I take “Bladebit is from Chia Network”.

Others have also somehow got BB-C7 to work. Let’s see how far I get with it.

Then I’ll have a look at the spreadsheets and read up on Bladebit.

For 5000 plots, a 4060ti is overkill

well… my goal is already around 1,5… if not 2PB.
So around 15.000-20.000 plots. Should be suitable for the future.

Final question:
Graphics card. 8GB or rather one with 12GB RAM?
Or does that not matter here?

For plotting 8GB is perfect, more ram than 8 doesn’t help.

And for farming you need much less still (IIRC farming BB C7 requires 600MB of Vram)

1 Like

It helped my wallet… :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

Plot filter is at the protocl level. Your compute will double when plot filter is reduced. If you size inappropriately, you will have to replot again soon, or buy another GPU to do the extra compute.

Hi there:

A lot of answers for some comments in this post are available in the official site:

PLOTTER:
chia-gigahorse/cuda-plotter at master · madMAx43v3r/chia-gigahorse · GitHub

FARMER:
GitHub - madMAx43v3r/chia-gigahorse

1. By the way, over there you can see a note that clarifies that you can start de Gigahorse farmer, and after that you can open the official CHIA GUI in parallel (I can testify that it works properly that way).

2. Another topic is mentioned in this CHIA Forum and reffers when you want to farm and plot at the same time, you will need a GPU with at least 12 GB of RAM (I have done that and it works with 12. If you use only 8GB, the plotter will crash or will take hours to create 1 single plot).

3. Last but not least, you are considering C7 compression level, but I have decided to go for the C8’s and at the moment with a 3060 with 12 GB, I am plotting and farming at the same time with no problems (I tried the C9’s but It crashed. Mad Max mentioned that for C9’s you require more computing power, like 24GB or more).

I hope this information can be useful.

Regards from Puebla, Mexico.

2 Likes

I have a similar server setup. I use bladebit and a gtx1070.

@ Voodoo

Can you take a look in here?
You have the same system.
Only you have a bad card… but you can do it in 5min
I but need but over 30min

https://chiaforum.com/t/30min-gpu-plotting-bladebit/20286/

Yours GPU
https://technical.city/en/video/GeForce-GTX-1070-Ti
Memory bandwidth 256.3 GB/s

My
https://technical.city/en/video/Tesla-M40-24-GB
Memory bandwidth 288.4 GB/s

Would you have to change anything on the mainboard ?
I yes => FAQ Entry | Online Support | Support - Super Micro Computer, Inc.

I just replied there, yeah m40 should be faster than 30 minutes for sure.

Still, not sure if it will be faster than 1070ti in the end though. Much higher clocks & newer architecture vs more cores…