Question regarding Compression

I think I’m about to start replotting over 5000 k32’s with compressed plots. I’ve run into some money and am not bothered about the overhead to do this, just want to ask simple question really…

Is an RTX3080 enough to run C7 plots on the fly?

1 Like

I’m using a Nvidia RTX 3060-12gb card and works for me.

2 Likes

I’m using the same card as drhicom, and have 4224 plots, 3080 is overkill for 5000 plots, even after the filter change, but it’s a very good card for creating plots with.

1 Like

I have been using a 1070 for 6500 c7 plots and it will still be ok on the filter change.

1 Like

you can always undervolt, and that card will be purring like a cat :wink: of course, price is a different story.

RTX 3060Ti should manage 1.2PiB according to bladebit simulation.

if you have no PCIe 4 16x in your rig, anything over 3060Ti is overkill for plotting :wink:

1 Like

Yes, easily, but at this state, if I were you, I wouldn’t put ANY more money into Chia. I’m on hold myself. Fuck buying anything for this. I’ve farmed for years, since mainnet launch and I’m still down probably 10 grand on my initial investment, not to mention the GPUs that I bought. Chia is not the way. Save your cash. You’ll need it for what’s to come.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply. What’s to come?

Cha-Cha is coming, brand new blockchain :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just bad economy in general in the US anyways. Assuming you’re US based.

Nah, I’m in the UAE and fortunately, not paying for electricity. HODL I reckon. :upside_down_face:

why do you worry with free energy? Farm like crazy :smiley:

I have one haverster 1PB, 90% full C5 plot. 10% C0. CPU is E5-2690V4. CPU is <30% load. I will replace the 10% with C7 see what happens.

Bladebit compressed plot. Looks like don’t really need GPU.

1 Like

my E3-1275 v3 handles only C4. Also check out proof times, 30% load doesn’t mean anything. You wanna keep <8s…my preference is <2s proofs.

I tested Ryzen 9 3950X 16c CPU, and it cannot handle C5 properly.

2 Likes

Add about 3% C7 plot.

CPU usage went up significantly.

I stay with C5. CPU energy is money too.

What does <8s mean? >8s the work is useless?

here is CPU compare yours and mine.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/1979vs2780/Intel-Xeon-E3-1275-v3-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5-2690-v4

<8s means less than 8 seconds, he thinks you need to submit proofs in less than 8 seconds, it’s actually less than 29 seconds, but that’s total time from start to finish, including network time, so you really want to be submitting proofs quite a bit quicker than that ideally.

and that is your CPU against Ryzen 9 3950X. It makes me wonder how your CPU manages to do proofs in less than 8s

if I understood correctly, Chia simulation/reference…8s is max for signage points or whatever they call it, and 30s is for full proof.

The bottom line is always the fastest guy wins. If 5 guys fight for the same block, the fastest response wins.

Occasionally it does more than 8s. I will deal with that. No more buying hardware except buying big HDD if there is a deal.

I am at space pool now. I may lose 0.25 reward.

if I understood correctly, Chia simulation/reference…8s is max for signage points or whatever they call it, and 30s is for full proof.

More or less. 9.375 seconds is the average time between signage points, and 32.8125 seconds on average to the infusion point (where the full proof is needed). You don’t want to be getting close to those limits though, as those are the averages with there being quite a bit of variance in times. Signage points can vary from ~7-12 seconds and the infusion point is at the following 3-4 signage points, so can vary from 28.125 - 37.5 seconds. To not lose any rewards, you would want to stay well below these minimum values to account for any other network latency.

The bottom line is always the fastest guy wins. If 5 guys fight for the same block, the fastest response wins.

Incorrect. Multiple farmers can win a block, or even nobody can. Difficulty for the network adjusts to maintain 32 wins per 10 minutes (ie, 1 sub-slot or 64 signage points).

1 Like

I am running happily BB C4 with ~0.7s, max. 2.5s on old HW. No increase in wattage.

Pick your poison. I still see no advantages in increased costs, compared to very little gains. With “free” energy, that is a different story. I care about cashflow.