RECIEVE ADRESS changed after upgrading to 1.2.1!

I’m unsure of the official guidance.
And addresses are fine to use for multiple incoming transactions.
But use any address for an outgoing transaction, then consider it weakened cryptographically , and best to use another then.

1 Like

The receive addresses changed themselves long before that, least I feel sure so.
Why farmr has started detecting it as an issue is another matter entirely to my mind.

They touch on my main concern here

But only to say…

"According to the logic of those who hoard coins on a single address, as long as they don’t spend any inputs associated with it, no one can reverse engineer the signature and get the private keys. This is true.

As long as there are no transactions signed from an address, the private keys are safe – provided that you abide by private key security protocols that allow you to keep them away from malicious actors. But hoarding on a single address becomes a vulnerability in itself."

I’m pretty sure most think addresses can’t be reverse engineered. But it was proven long ago.

1 Like

ok, its simple.
Go to gui, go to wallet, copy your address or select new address.
Shut down chia gui and processes.
then go to your config.yaml look up using find where the “bad address is” change it to new address address in the 2 locations where the old one is. save the file.
re start chia and voila. done!
bye

this is a normal feature to help manage your farm. do this.
Go to gui, go to wallet, copy your address or select new address.
Shut down chia gui and processes.
then go to your config.yaml look up using find where the “bad address is” change it to new address address in the 2 locations where the old one is. save the file.
re start chia and voila. done!

But the thing is that all the coins I won were with the address in both the ssl and pool xch_target_adresses, which are different than the Received address in the GUI.

that would be correct, the receiving address can and could be change. as long as it is created by tour private keys. the problem is “did your keys create that new address?”. you cant be sure if someone broke in and hack your address. better safe than sorry.

check this out -

Thank you for that link!

I read that article, but after reading it, I am not sure whether there are any cryptographic related consequences by reusing those addresses (easier to crack your keys, …). I am also not sure, how outgoing transactions when using the same address can compromise your keys, or what is a difference between in- and out-going transactions for the same reason (from cryptographic point of view).

To me, the only points that that article covered are how to avoid “google” working on your data (not sure how they would pair it with “you,” though but the minute they do, I guess one is screwed), same with IRS (or any respective tax authority) but I would assume that one needs to provide all the addresses if an audit is requested (so this is a moot point to some extent), and criminal activities similar to “google” followed by a personal threats (but again, not sure how to get to the user).

1 Like

Basically, whenever you sign a transaction, you push that sig to the network.
Now if enough of these sigs are collected, they can be used to help crack the pvt key that is used to sign them.
( I’m not sure if that’s relevant to chia, I just assume so, it is certainly relevant to btc, you would really need to re write the rule book on how a transaction is classed as valid to avoid it).

It’s not relevant to incoming tx, because the receiving address doesn’t sign anything to receive, only the sending address that has the coins needs to sign the tx.

The article was pretty shit, I did say it only touched on my main concern , that being wallet security.

1 Like

Can’t say for sure but many months ago I may have clicked the new button.

If your coin is still sat there that would be a poor thief, waiting to stealthily steel your change as opposed to just taking the pot.

1 Like

i am working on a video of 3 ways to create and use a cold wallet.

1 Like