Recovering wallet and NFT plot

Hello, first time poster here looking for support in restoring my chia and getting my plotting and harvesting going again. My setup is 1.2.7 running Windows 10. I was running a few remote harvesters (using harry plotter to plot), which also harvest by connecting to the main machine.

I was harvesting for a few months and earned 2 chia in early September. Shortly after, a major Windows update crashed my main computer. I recovered by refreshing windows, (but kept the data, so my ~chia folder was still there). When I recovered, my 2 XHC was gone from the wallet, and my NFT is also gone. I saw some people said in other posts to create a new NFT, and to delete the wallet db.

Instead, I tried completely downloading and resynching on a different computer - I wanted to move to a faster machine anyway. (First I tried copying over the relevant files, but then when it didn’t restore the NFT or my balance, I downloaded the entire blockchain again). It still didn’t recover my NFT or the missing 2 XHC.

I would really appreciate some advice on how I can track where the missing chia is, and how I can recover the NFT, and start harvesting again. I think the receive address is different than my wallet address, but am not sure why. Could it be a different receive address tied to this wallet that will come back when the NFT is restored? If it is gone, maybe I need to start all over with a new wallet and plot everything again?

First of all, your NFT cannot be gone, quite impossible.

The only thing that could be possible is that you have more than one Chia key and are importing the wrong seed phrase.
Assuming this is not the case, the NFT, wallet and XCH are tied to the private key and cannot be removed without it.

First a few questions:

• have you tried the “create a new NFT” option? this worked fine for me
  • are you sure you also re-synced the wallet database? I ask because you first copied the files and the wallet db is a separate folder from the main blockchain db.
  • Before your pc crashed did it show 2 XCH in the wallet or just in the “total XCH farmed”
  • I gather that you are not with a pool, but solo-farming with NFT plots, right? Did you claim the rewards from the NFT after winning the block?

Do you still have your old receive address written down somewhere or the block height that you won? Then you could check the explorer to see the transaction from that receive address.

In general, assuming you have just one private key:
You can have a near infinite number of receive addresses but they are all tied in to the same private key, so whatever address was used, it should all be visible in the balance of that wallet.

The only way the XCH could be gone is if someone hacked you or if you somehow set a wrong receive address. This has happened to some people who where farming with Core-pool before and they switched to solo but forgot to update their receive address back so their rewards still went to Core-pool.

1 Like

Thank you Voodoo for responding!

Have you tried the “create a new NFT” option? this worked fine for me? I can’t because it says I need mojo, and I can’t get more because I already have some (even though my balance is empty)

Are you sure you also re-synced the wallet database? I ask because you first copied the files and the wallet db is a separate folder from the main blockchain db I am not sure, should I just delete it now to try?

Before your pc crashed did it show 2 XCH in the wallet or just in the “total XCH farmed": Probably only in farmed

I gather that you are not with a pool, but solo-farming with NFT plots, right? Did you claim the rewards from the NFT after winning the block? I switched to NFT way too late (was about a month late in getting that update as I was still learning at the time, but yes that is correct). I don’t believe I claimed them from the NFT after winning the block.

Do you still have your old receive address written down somewhere or the block height that you won? Then you could check the explorer to see the transaction from that receive address.Yes, I still have the old receive address on what I have harry plotter set to, I am pretty sure I copied it over from the GUI, but now sure why it is different than the receive address currently showing.

I have a total of three private keys, but two were sort of using to learning, although I am plotting on a machine that had one of those private keys. I am pretty sure I stopped using the first two and restarted everything with the third key (which I have).

Ok so this would mean there is some wallet sync problem going on still. otherwise you could just go to https://faucet.chia.net/ and get some Mojo in your wallet.
you can try this in any case. Just input your current receive address there and get some free mojo. (transaction can take a little time, like a day) If this doesn’t show up in your wallet after a while, there is a sync problem going on for sure.

So in the top right corner of the wallet tab of the GUI it should show the wallet sync status, does it say it’s synced?

to re-sync the wallet, close the Chia app, delete the files in: /users/username/.chia/mainnet/wallet/db/
then restart the app. now it should start to re-sync the wallet db from scratch.

It is fully synched. I noticed in the /db/ folder there are two sets of files with different numbers. Do you think this means I could have been using a different wallet key before?

I have tried to get more mojo from the faucet (a few days ago and again today) to the receive address, and it says “already sent”. But nothing seems to come. I will try to delete the wallet/db/ files and post what happens.

Is there anyway I can see if there is a link to the receive wallet ID I was using when plotting to this wallet to see if it is the same?

Thank you again!

When I click on Target wallet, it shows a different address and says “no private key for target address”. Maybe this means I have restored the wrong wallet? Is it possible it will correct itself if the NFT recovers? The computer didn’t erase when I reinstalled Windows. Can I get the other wallet anyway from the ~chia/ folder? Comedy of errors I know…

Ok first thing to do is make sure the plots match the private key.

You can run chia plots check.
It will show the farmer public key of the plots.
Compare that to the farmer public key you see in the GUI.
On the keys tab click on the eye icon to see the keys.

The farmer public key should match, otherwise you have the wrong keys imported.

If the farmer puplic key is the same, then you have the correct keys and i would advise to do a complete fresh install.

Make sure you have the correct seed phrase written down and import it on a clean system.

Bite the bullet and let is sync from scratch.

To make sure you dont delete anything you might regret later maybe use a dual boot a VM or another computer.

First see the 2xch back in your wallet before deleting stuff

:grin:

Thank you for helping with this! Unfortunately, the keys did not match. I have looked for all of the key phrases I could find, and none of them restore the NFT or match the public key when the wallet synchs. I still have access to the hard drive of the computer that the wallet used to be installed on. Is there a way of recovering any additional key phrases it from ~chia folder? The application folder was wiped, but I could still restore it possibly.

I guess I will need to replot everything and start again if I cannot recover the mystery key phrase.

How many NFT wallets have you created?

You can find out and identify them (including the Chia they hold) by running, chia wallet show.

You can identify the correct wallet with 2 XCH in it and get the key attached to it installed.

Let us know the results of chia wallet show (not your keys of course) and we’ll help you figure out the next step.

Im not sure but it might be possible that the keys are still stored in that pc because they are not stored in the app folder.
Maybe just reinstall Chia and see if it finds the keys.

But before doing that i would ask on keybase or github, to be sure that doing that doesnt erase old keys.
There might be a way to recover the keys from that machine