Robocopy "hides" destination directory (on Windows)

Robocopy “hides” destination directory (on Windows)…
Setting the final destination on an SSD and make the robocopy take over to “cut-paste” the plot to the final HDD sounds like a real helping hand. Well, it turns out that (at least on Windows), it makes the task more difficult than it already is.
Once the robocopy takes over the task, it hides the destination folder. No problem, you might say, just click on the “show hidden files” option. The problem continues. Even when the “show hidden files” is checked, the final destination folder is still invisible.
OK, you might say again, use the command “attrib” to show the folder. Yes, it works to make finally the folder visible, but, only for a minute or two. Then it sets itself “back to invisible”. You do this a million times, it sets it back to invisible as many times as you type those command “attribs”. Against this automated computing task, it’s you who gives up.
So, does anyone use it on Windows, and if you do, did you find a solution to it?
Thanks.

That doesn’t sound right. Can you share the exact command you are using?

I use this to an extent

robocopy /e /z /ipg:8 /xo /w:10 /r:3 %copysource% %copydest%

So, copy all files and directories, enabled a “restart/retry mode” just incase something interrupts the connection, ignore ‘older files’ so nothing gets overwritten needlessly, and a little 8ms pause in between packets so I’m not hogging the bandwidth

The plotter and the farmer are two different computers in different sections of the house, and the directories themselves aren’t anything fancy, literally a folder called P and a folder called F, nothing comes out hidden

What does your robocopy look like?

I use this (do not use it, folks, it hides your destination directory):
@echo off
:loop
set “source=:"
set "destination=
:”
robocopy “%source%” “%destination%” /DCOPY:D /mov *.plot
timeout /t 30
goto loop

I use this (do not use it, folks, it hides your destination directory):
@echo off
set “source=:"
set "destination=
:”
robocopy “%source%” “%destination%” /DCOPY:D /mov *.plot
timeout /t 30
goto loop

robocopy $tempPath $plotPath *.plot /J /IPG:8 /MOV /MOT:30 /LOG+:$log /TEE

You want the /J (unbuffered IO) there for large files

I don’t think the /DCOPY:D part is needed

I did an experiment using your robocopy thingo

I made two folders;

A destination folder called DESTINATION, it’s empty

A source folder called SOURCE and inside is a BLAH.TXT (I hid both this specific folder and the .TXT file)

I performed the *robocopy “%source%” “%destination%” /DCOPY:D /mov .txt part, to move the hidden .TXT file to the not-hidden DESTINATION folder, and it ended up hiding the DESTINATION folder as well as moving the file

My question is this; In your setup, are ANY of the files/folders from the source hidden at all? Or have you changed the attribute or permissions of the source folder from default?

Give the test a go, just make two brand new folders somewhere on your desktop, name them whatever you like, jam a TXT file in one, and robocopy it from one folder to the other and see if the destination folder hides itself again

1 Like

Thanks for that :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Apparently there are some system files hidden in the folder (desktop.ini, etc).
I use /DCOPY:D to copy only data.
The ploblem is: the command is to move *.plot only, but then it copies whatever exists in that folder.
No, using /DCOPY:D did not help either.

In case your ever using robocopy again, and want to stop it hiding folders, apparently this is the preventative fix.

/A-:SH

Source.

Just scared myself a little, moving 4 plots, and it hid 8TB of plots.

Now I just use this (below), it works wonders:

@echo off
move “E:*.plot*” H:
timeout /t 200
goto loop