Scalable DIY SATA JBOD - Will store over 250 Disks!

I hope to test it later today assuming my extra RAM arrives in the mail! I ordered 128gb RAM for the server and I’d rather only turn it off and disassemble it once to add the RAM and the 12 port card lol.

Two interesting things: even though the description says 1x, the card actually looks like it fits a 4x slot. It could still be 1x, but that would certainly be weird when they could just save money by using a 1x connector instead of a 4x. So I’m definitely interested to plug it in and see if the description maybe was just a mistake? Here’s a pic - if it was just 1x, it wouldn’t have the extra connections:

Secondly, I was totally right in that other thread - look at those 4 empty spots for more ports! This could have been a SIXTEEN port card!! Maybe they offer it but I couldn’t find it anywhere…

Lastly, I think you’d be pleasantly surprised with even 1x PCI-e speeds. Here is a screenshot showing my disk throughput while copying 3 plots to 3 hard drives through a four port 1x PCI-e SATA card - not only that, all 3 hard drives are on the same port multiplier so they are all sharing the same SATA channel on that 1x card:

That is plenty fast to copy plots and farm!! :slight_smile:

1 Like