Scalable DIY SATA JBOD - Will store over 250 Disks!

Might as well list the disadvantages that I’ve found too:

• Power: Obviously a disk shelf will have a nice built-in power supply and probably support for staggered spin-up to avoid overloading that power supply when you turn it on. The SATA solution requires several server PSUs and voltage converters. You’ll need to be familiar with splicing/connecting 12v/5v wiring.
  • Cabling: SAS has backplanes and daisy chaining and a single cable can support lots of drives - all very nice when you have lots of drives. With SATA, you’re gonna have a LOT of cabling. Each drive needs a power cable and a SATA cable.
1 Like

Some disk shelves or large # of disk servers actually support SATA over the SAS backplane. SATA will physically connect into a SAS slot, it’s just the controller or backplane firmware that need to know what to do with a SATA drive. I have put SATA drives in Dell R7xx servers without issus before, so research is key. I think Lenovo disk shelves can do SATA over SAS as well. There is a YTer that has a massive 96 bay (If I am remembering the video correctly) RAID/JBOD and he is using SATA drives in it without any issue.

Reference the Official SAS/SATA page from Seagate. They fully support plugging SATA drives into SAS controllers/backplanes. They don’t recommend it for certain tasks but support it.

1 Like

I don’t think the issue was one of compatibility but one of cost.
Not needing this capability and only implementing SATA means he saves money by not spending on something he doesn’t need.

I actually want to buy a disk shelf, just to play with. I was looking at a Netapp DS4243, but they seem a little noisy for a living room setup.

1 Like

Yeah, SAS JBODs or servers can be more expensive if you purchase everything separately. I did not fully research this. Just for a 24 bay Dell SC220 with cables and caddies costs upwards of $500. Other smaller versions are cheaper. Larger versions are more expensive and you can’t guarantee you’d get cables or caddies. I was wrong.

Doing a “test bench” style PC and having disk shelves connected to SATA drives and SATA to PCIe cards is probably the cheapest way to go once you go beyond 24 or 48 drives.

1 Like

@enderTown Could you please share the exact SATA controller card you are using with the port multipliers?

I ordered a 10 port and a 6 port SATA card via alibaba, but turns out they use the ASM1062 SATA controller chip(which has 2 SATA ports) and jmb575 port multipliers internally. Thus, in the 10 port card, all SATA port are from the multiplier chip, while in the 6 port card 5 ports are from the muliplier chip and 1 port is from the SATA controller. After digging a bit deeper into SATA multipliers, it seems that SATA doesn’t support daisy chaining of SATA port multipliers. Hence only 1 port on the 6 port card supports SATA multipliers, whereas no port on the 10 port card supports SATA multipliers.

I think I will need something like this - 6 Port Sata Pcie3.0 Sta Expansion Card Pcie3.0-4x Gen Sata3 Controller Card Asm1166 Converter With Heat Sink - Buy Sata3 Converter,Cie3.0 4x To 6 Port Sata3,Asm1166 Expansion Card Product on Alibaba.com . SATA contoller based on the asm1166 chip which has 6 sata ports and pcie 3.0

Yep sure - I actually have two 6-port cards and 1 12-port card currently, all ports connected to port multipliers.

The 6-port card is this one: Amazon.com: Ableconn PEX-SA156 6-Port SATA 6G PCI Express x4 Host Adapter Card - AHCI 6Gbps SATA III Port-Multiplier PCIe 3.0 4-Lane Low Profile Controller Card (ASMedia ASM1166): Computers & Accessories Looks like it is ASM1166 - works great with all PMs on all ports.

The 12-port card is this one: Chia Mining 12 Port SATA III PCIe Card PCI E SATA Controller Card to 6GB Internal Adapter Converter PCI SATA 3.0 Expansion Cards|Add On Cards| - AliExpress. Looks like this one is ASM1064, also works great with PMs on all ports. When this card boots up, the PC actually recognizes it as two PCIe cards and each goes through its own process of identifying the drives. I’m guessing they have a little PCIe hub on the card so the card is just acting like 2 6-port cards.

Also, I just ordered this 24-port card last week: SATA PCI E Adapter 4/5/8/10/12/16/20/24 Ports PCI Express X1 X4 X8 X16 To SATA 3.0 6Gbp Interface Rate Expansion Card Controller|Computer Cables & Connectors| - AliExpress Will be interested to see if this shows up as four PCIe cards in BIOS - it looks to be ASM1064 and says it does support PMs so hopefully it works!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! I will be sticking with 6 and 4 port cards for now. Quite difficult to make sure that there are no port multipliers onboard the sata card. Had asked my supplier to remove the heatsink and send photos of the ASM1166 and ASM1064 card, seems like a single SATA controller chip without any port multipliers.

I saw the listing for the 24 port card; seems that some of the variants in the listing have onboard port multipliers

See the maincontrol chip - The JMB5xx is a port multiplier

EDIT: it could be JMB585(which is a sata controller) or JMB575(a sata multiplier). So, not sure if all ports will work with port multipliers

1 Like

Yep good eye - I’ve learned to look specifically for “FIS” and/or “command-based switching” support because these are used by port multiplier. Here’s the details on the 24 port card I’ve got coming (red highlight):

220V? Are you in Europe?

Do you have a UPS for this rig? I checked some 240V UPS for USA market and they all run way more expensive than the 120V ones (99% in rack mount form factor)

Nope, right in the middle of the USA. Electric dryers run off of 220v, so I’ve taken over the laundry room. Sold washer and dryer and told wife that crypto is now paying for laundry services, which she loved lol. I found a special plug that converts the 220v plug to the plug needed for a 220v server rack PDU.

Nope! If my power goes out, no big deal, I’ll reboot it when it comes back on. It’s not like these random strings of proofs are mission critical data lol! This is another reason why huge datacenters can’t compete with us. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Amazing work on this setup!

Any luck with the 12 port card yet?

When do you plan on posting the 3D models, would love to get started I want to emulate this setup!

1 Like

Thank you!

Yep, works great! I’ve been using it for over a week now farming 60 drives (12 port multipliers * 5 ports each). No problems yet. I also have that 24-port card coming tomorrow so I’m excited to try that one too.

I just uploaded them to Thingiverse just now - not a lot of details yet but should be mostly self-explanatory. Let me know if you have q’s and post some pics if you build it! :slight_smile:

Wire Rack mount for 3.5" Hard Drive by joshpainter - Thingiverse

2 Likes

Oh dang must have missed the 24 port will have to look back and see if I can find the link.

How much filament do you go through producing the brackets?

Probably 4 rolls so far, not counting prototypes :laughing:

Definitely update us on the 24 port will get that ordered ASAP if it works. Now I gotta wait until I get home to get the snapmaker spun up to start printing. I haven’t fully decided if I will go with your design or just a straight up bin that stands the drives up vertically. I like the shock absorber setup you have going, but the bin would be easier to move around if ever required.

Just got it today but haven’t had a chance to test it yet. Check out this beast! With 24 ports and port multipliers it should run 120 SATA drives. Nice fan too.

5 Likes

That’s a monster, wow

1 Like

And what is your experience with this 24-ports card? Unfortunately, my 10-port card is not working with 1-to-5 port multipliers (only one disk is recognized), but now thanks to you and @sleepyshiba I understand that it is because it doesn’t have “FIS” or "command-based switching”.

BTW, if you want to decrease your CPD, the cheapest option which I have found is an externally powered USB hub with 10 ports (20 USD) => every port connected to the passive 10 port hub (USB 2.0 3 USD) => connected via USB 2.0->SATA/IDE (2 USD) = 2.5 USD per disk (obviously not including external power). However, the disadvantages to your solution are the lack of SAMRT support (requires USB 3.0, not 2.0 according to my tests) and slow transfer speeds.

Hello @enderTown

Name, description or reference please. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I’ve been busy on some other projects but I did finally get it plugged in and did some brief testing. It actually shows up as 3 ASMEDIA chips when booting, so each chip must control 8 ports:

It seems to work just fine with port multipliers!

Here you go: SATA PCI E Adapter 4/5/8/10/12/16/20/24 Ports PCI Express X1 X4 X8 X16 To SATA 3.0 6Gbp Interface Rate Expansion Card Controller|Computer Cables & Connectors| - AliExpress

I got the 24 port x4 version. Each of the ASMEDIA chips show as running at x1 PCI-e speeds. I wonder if they’d run at x2 on the x16 version? It doesn’t much matter for Chia farming, of course - x1 is more than sufficient.

And now, for some big updates! Here’s the latest pic with two full shelves now:

I moved all the shelves up about six inches to make room for the two big fans underneath. They move a lot of cool air from the ground up over all drives and do a great job keeping them cool.

Before, I was running a single PowerEdge r520 with 128gb of RAM, connected to all drives. I’ve realized that even though I could theoretically keep adding drives to this single server (especially with the above 24 port card), it probably isn’t the most efficient for farming and certainly not for scaling. With over a hundred drives connected, lookups were starting to creep into the 1-2 second range.

Now the r520 is racked up off camera, and it still runs the Chia full node and farmer (along with 16 other forks, each in their own VM as well). But now I’ve got these 3 little Dell Optiplex 7010’s running as my harvesters. Each one has 2 six port PCI-e cards, so it can handle up to 60 drives with port multipliers. Three of them perfectly fit on the wire rack shelf, and once I fill up the 3rd row of disks, each one will be controlling almost 60 drives.

You can buy these used on ebay for ~$100, so it is comparable to a Pi harvester setup. But you get a full Windows 10 install, up to 32gb of RAM and 2 full-length half-height PCI-e card slots. You could use these as USB harvesters as well. Great little machines! I happen to have lots of them from an auction I won awhile back, so this was a perfect use for them. Here’s a pic with the case open so you can see the 2 six-port SATA cards and the cable routing. Nice and clean!

So far that’s 108 drives all connected and harvesting! That’s it for now - working on the third shelf next as well as adding some GPUs to the top shelves for ETH mining. More to come!

P.S. If you do buy some old used Dell Optiplex’s (or any other old used PCs, really), the first thing you want to do is to remove the coin battery inside and test it. If it is less than 3.2v (very likely as these are years and years old) then it needs to be replaced or you’re gonna have a bad time.

8 Likes