Hi fellow farmers,
I have a spare Mac Mini (2014 model 8GB RAM w/ external SSD) that I would like to use to host my main wallet for 1) storing/receiving all XCH from my farming machine and 2) sending XCH to other wallets for fiat exchange etc.
- Format SSD and internal HDD.
- Connect to Ethernet only, disabled Wifi. Only use apple keyboard and trackpad (no third party peripherals and no other USB or thumb drives to avoid any possible malware)
- Install latest MacOS Big Sur using Recovery mode.
- Download Chia client from https://www.chia.net/, run “shasum -a 256” on the downloaded installer to make sure checksum matches the website’s. Then proceed to install.
- Launch Chia client, generate new mnemonic for the main wallet. Write mnemonic on paper only (don’t take picture) and store it in safe (non fire hazard) place.
Daily operation (transfer XCH from farming machine to Mac Mini)
- Turn on Mac Mini, launch Chia client, enter mnemonic for main wallet and let it finish syncing.
- Go to reward setting to copy the Wallet receive address and share it on Google doc online. This step can be done once and forget it, but it doesn’t hurt to double checks.
- Go to farming machine, pull the receive address from Google doc. Send 1 mojo to the receive address. Double check Mac Mini has receive it, once it has received then proceed to send the rest of the mojo.
- Delete main wallet key from Mac Mini and shutdown.
Note that payout_instructions setting for pooled plots doesn’t work so I have to manually transfer XCH to Mac Mini.