Selling [US] Mega Farm (over 1600TB) + 7 2U 5950x Plotters

If I put $80K into farming and had to sell my farm now I’d be crying, yelling, and having a complete hissy fit. You’re posts show a lot of…what do I call it? … self restraint, control, poise, or ?? Kinda nice to see a guy pay his money, take his chances, and then live with the results…if that make any sense.

Joe

3 Likes

Eh in this case it’d be worth holding on to it as it’s still possible to squeeze out another few thousand worth of XCH out of it

his setup is fairly compact and since everything is plotted all he needs is 4U in a shared colo rack

but if it still had to be plotted it wouldn’t be worth it even if you got the hardware for free

Eh, no.

@Cfilosa3 explained why he is compelled to sell.

How is it that you have come to know more about his life and why he should not sell, than does he know about his own life and why he does need to sell?

If I post my set-up, will you know more than me about whether or not I should sell, based on my living circumstances?

2 Likes

there’s no need for him to cry about it, other people in this thread seem more than willing to do it for him

yeah you were and but I’m not surprised about the kind of reaction my posts have received

there’s always a few irritating delusional holdouts who refuse to admit that their money is gone and attack anyone who doesn’t share their toxic positivity

a simple cost-plus pricing model might work if you’re 7 years old and running a lemonade stand

say he managed to break even and made a healthy profit and just doesn’t want to keep farming

shipping freight cross country can be quite pricey and it might make sense for him to sell for 1k if shipping costs if shipping costs are maybe 2k or 3k

You are the one that is whining, and when the light of day is shined on your whining, you double-down, when you should apologize.

I know nothing about you, and I know nothing about @Cfilosa3, other than what I read in this thread.
My comments are based strictly on your inappropriate attacks on him and others.

When you hurl insults at people, with no cause to do so, and do it in a public forum, then don’t pretend to be the victim when your insults are challenged.

@Cfilosa3 posted an offer to sell his gear, and you found that to be “irritating”. And you call others delusional, while you get irritated over a for sale sign.

He can ask any price he chooses, and the market will determine whether or not he sells his gear.
People test the market every day. Perhaps he is expecting too much for his gear? So what.

Politely offering @Cfilosa3 sound advice is welcome.
Please stick to doing so.

4 Likes

Someone mentioned $250 for the drives, right now 18tb is going for closer to $300 plus this is all plotted. So let’s assume no profit / same as new drives for price. That’s $27k alone in the 90 hdd. Not to mention server price and all the other drives and plotters. Let’s say the rest is $10k for fun. That is still a $43k loss.

Based on this thread the vultures are circling, this is a great opportunity to own a big farm out the gate imo. Don’t be greedy.

Personally i would consider it but i don’t have $27k right now, if that was even an open offer, and i already have a 1.5PB farm and I’d rather grow that than own a second large farm.

3 Likes

I wonder why everyone (yes this is a generalization) pretends like these hard drives will last forever. Yes, sure, some of you have warranty. Isn’t that exciting? But if these drives have plots, okay. But to assume the drives will last to the point of ROI? This is where Chia is unproven. Can people gain ROI before their drives start failing. This has the potential to be the Chia fail. I hope Chia avoids a hard drive catastrophe but buying any used gear or any hard drives won’t last forever. The more you paid? Longer ROI and more potential of never actually seeing an ROI. Which is why I preach spend pennies on this venture.

1 Like

You do all this preaching, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen you post your system and a picture to prove it :wink:

3 Likes

I’m a believer in people doing some of the work themselves. Too many lemmings. Too many spoon feeders. People want a video so you can show the lazy ones what to do, where to buy and how to make money. You do the heavy lifting so the lazy slobs can come along and do the same thing but didn’t have to do any work whatsoever. A vast majority of the internet consists of these types. Pathetic existence in my mind, but so long as people think their YouTube views are worth it. When I have something to personally gain, sure, I’m glad to share. It’s pretty basic. A) looks cannot matter B) paying the absolute least per TB is mandatory (this must include all associated hardware in calculations). The moral of this story is that for anyone to bank on Chia price spiking or going to the moon is just hot garbage. It might happen. It could happen. I would never invest in any of this on the basis that it’s going to the moon any time soon. This post is case in point. The realization that ROI is so far fetched that it ends up being very depressing. I guess you can always say, yeah, but it’s so clean, neat and tidy. So there’s that. And BTW, when I do decide to post anything it won’t be on another person’s platform like a forum. My idea, my concept, my project, my revenue. Last edit, Flux has something in the pipeline called proof of space which apparently can make use of Chia hardware. Having potentially more than one option should provide a tiny bit of optimism. Two paths is better than one.

1 Like

If it were me, I would sell all but one of plotters individually as high-end gaming/productivity rigs as @efIN6FN2UM suggests; sell everything under “other drives” and “other equipment” parted out on eBay, r/homelabsales, r/DataHoarder, etc.; and try to find 6U of colo in Jersey or NY State for one plotter and the farmer. Good luck!

1 Like

Had a few deals almost happen. So still looking for a buyer. I’m mainly focused on selling the SuperMicro with the 90 18TB plotted drives. Send a message if you are interested and we can negotiate a deal.

Thank you

what caused negotiations to break down?

Only one fell through due to them actually needing more storage (much more) and finding another offer. I have a few other offers being negotiated.