Should I switch from GPU to CPU farming?

I’ve almost completed plotting C7 plots with Max’s CUDA plotter.
Now I’m wondering whether I should switch my plotting from GPU to CPU.
I will be having around 4.5 PB effective size of C7 plots once I finish plotting. That’s around 2.9 PB of real space taken.

Right now I use an X99-based Chinese motherboard with 2630 v3 and an A4000 GPU to handle the farming.
AFAIK you need lots of RAM to farm with CPU, so I’ve got a Supermicro with 768 GB DDR3 memory. What other hardware requirements should one take into account?

What are the pros and cons of such a switch?

For me the only + that I see is that devfee is smaller for CPU farming.

What about the power consumption?
For example, if we compare:

1. my Supermicro with dual CPUs and 768GB RAM and
  2. some low-powered 1151 motherboard with just a Celeron G3900 in it and an A4000

which one is going to be better?

3 Likes

Based on my calculation I would say you are not able the run this 4.5 PB with your 8 core.

What you should do: buy some multimeter or power measure smart plug and run the simulate command for a while. you should do that to measure power consumption over e.g. 10 min. After this runs you will be able to compare both settings from point of total power consumption

I think the showstopper could be the lookup time with „only“ 16 threats for that amount of plots.

2 Likes

Why not plot with Bladebit and farm with Alpha 4.3? No Dev fees :slight_smile:

2 Likes

GPU is more efficient, there’s no point in going back to CPU, especially with your farm size.

Or put another way : what you will save in fees, you will lose in electricity and cost of CPU hardware.

That’s actually another good option, but since GH plots can’t be farmed with the Chia farmer, a replot would be necessary. And GH has higher compression ratio from what I’ve heard, so it’s not that big a deal to keep GH.

1 Like

BB C5 plots are actually very light on CPU and should be doable with any server CPU.
But anyway low power PC + GPU is def the way forward for bigger farms.

1 Like

Those are not BB C5 but MM C7 which is equivalent to BB C8.

Because Max and Flexpool had something ready, efficient and ready earlier at a reasonable cost compared to the effort they did? :expressionless:
(I went through the pool drama, do not blame me)

1 Like

Non-useful contributions to this thread need to be reported (flagged) thank you everyone for your participation in making this forum cleaner :slight_smile:

Wtf is that in the forum rules?

Usually yes it’s better to keep harassement, bullying, off-topic discourse or vandalism away from a forum !

1 Like

It sure is

https://chiaforum.com/faq

Absolutely agree, offensive post

Most has been said already I think but anyhow I’ll add my 2cents to the pot.

GPU is much more efficient for decompressing than CPU. If you balance it right (farm size, compression level, GPU) it will be much better.
If you want to switch to CPU for whatever reason Gigahorse C7 is no the right plot. You need lower compression to be efficient with CPU, like C0-C4 or so. C7 requires seriously high end CPU to farm that size farm.
Also depends on your energy price of course. If your energy is super cheap, the GPU dev fee might be higher than your energy cost

No, really don’t need much ram for farming, no matter CPU or GPU.

This will be much better if you aks me. Low power, much more efficient.

Bladebit/Chia will not have a dev fee of course but it’s still not finished and you would need to replot everything. Also, it looks like Gigahorse pots will still hold some advantage in size, so that might make up for a part of the dev fee.

2 Likes

Pls copy / paste what you claim states that?

1 Like

If You See a Problem, Flag It

Moderators have special authority; they are responsible for this forum. But so are you. With your help, moderators can be community facilitators, not just janitors or police.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

1 Like

Can haverster decode compressed plot? or it must be done on the main farmer. Thanks.

If 2 ppl are immature enough not to understand alternative perspectives.

They will likely argue.

Whos behaving badly?
Both

There is a difference between arguing in a civilized manner, and using ad hominem and other logically falacious arguments to ruin the fun of having a lively discussion.

1 Like

No it has to be done by the farmer.

1 Like

How do you know the intent or are you assuming leaving great room for error?

Others cant ruin your peace , fun, thats your responsibility not others.

Is not bad behaviour, your just stretching the guideline way too far. Then encouraging others to follow your imaginary rule.

1 Like