Slow response time with portable plots 1.2.0

Hello all,

I am running into issues where my portable plots are finding proofs (partials) but the response time is super long and they are considered invalid by the pool I joined.

• Chia version 1.2.0
  • Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
  • iMac Pro, 3.2 Ghz Xeon, 32 gb ram
  • Plotting with a fast high tbw Sabrent NVME connected via a thunderbolt 3 external enclosure.
  • Farming drives are mostly Seagate external Backup Plus 8TB drives, and a Western Digital 14 tb drive. I believe these are using 5200 rpm drives inside. I have formatted them all exFat since I was planning on having a raspberry Pi 4 do farming and the file format should work on linux.

I’m connected to Space Pool and it says pooling. My wallet and full node are sync’d. Seeing plenty of connections to other nodes using port 8444.

I’ve started to create plots using the NFT generated when I joined Space Pool.

What’s odd is that most of the logs are fine except for when finding a partial:

2021-07-09T20:04:40.260 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO     0 plots were eligible for farming 38c6cf796d... Found 0 proofs. Time: 0.01266 s. Total 348 plots
2021-07-09T20:04:49.449 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO     0 plots were eligible for farming 38c6cf796d... Found 0 proofs. Time: 0.01871 s. Total 348 plots
2021-07-09T20:04:54.369 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO     1 plots were eligible for farming 417995711b... Found 1 proofs. Time: 134.45386 s. Total 348 plots
2021-07-09T20:05:00.679 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO     2 plots were eligible for farming 38c6cf796d... Found 0 proofs. Time: 1.67033 s. Total 348 plots
2021-07-09T20:05:09.085 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO     0 plots were eligible for farming 38c6cf796d... Found 0 proofs. Time: 0.01356 s. Total 348 plots
2021-07-09T20:05:19.127 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO     0 plots were eligible for farming 38c6cf796d... Found 0 proofs. Time: 0.01275 s. Total 348 plots
2021-07-09T20:05:29.085 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO     0 plots were eligible for farming 38c6cf796d... Found 0 proofs. Time: 0.01329 s. Total 348 plots

These are taking around 100-200 seconds.

I’m not sure what to do besides try to move to a faster storage medium or try a different format for my drives.

Are the drives sleeping?
Run a schedules task every couple of minutes that writes something to the disks to keep them awake.

Are you plotting/copying plots to the same drive?
You will get slow read times if the disk is busy writing.

Hello,
i have the same issue as you described it above.
I always had very good response times on both of my computers.
Now after im in Spacepool and plotting the Portable Pool Plots i have the same issue.
I almost have 1 minute respond time. (On both Computers)
I hope this will get fixed soon…

2 Likes

I thought this might be the case or it was perhaps a bad drive, so I moved some of my plots to another drive to see if that helped and it’s the same situation. The main drive I am copying my plots to isn’t always being written to.

2 Likes

Personally i dont think thats the issue right there.
I was plotting straight for over a month and even though i was copying the Plot from NVME to the Harddrive i still had good Response Times.
And i just saw my Response Times where bad even if my Harddrive was not copying files.
At this moment my Harddrive is writing a plot to it, and i have good Response Time again, so i think that should’nt be the issue for our problem.
By the way as you see the Screenshot i posted above, both of my Computers have the same bad response time at the exact same moment.
You know what i mean? So i think thats another problem, not the fault of the harddrive or computer itsself.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t think it’s an issue with my setup since everything is hooked up and was working fine before for regular plots. The computer is hardwired via ethernet to my router too.

I’m wondering if this has anything to do with Space Pool’s response, but I did try a few other pools and got similar results.

1 Like

Now I doubting whether it’s advisable to upgrade to the latest sw. This sounds pretty bad.

1 Like

Would it be possible to downgrade to the pooling beta?

I agree,
Looked at my harvester logs and found no response times over 2 sec.

But on the combined farmer/harvester I found some over 10 sec… Something is not right.

1 Like

Have exactly the same problem on 1.2 and space pool , all partials are invalid due to slow response time of between 100-200 secs , looking for a fix or a workaround …

1 Like

Hmmm, maybe I should try switching to another pool again and see how it goes since we’re all having response time issues and using Space Pool.

Does anyone know if that response time seen in the log has to do with getting a response from the Pool?

1 Like

Can you switch to another Pool with your Portable Plots you have already plotted and used for SpacePool, or do you have to plot the plots again if you switch to another Pool?

I think the way it’s supposed to work is you just hit ‘change pool’ and point the Pool url at another pool. It takes a long time but it will switch (currently waiting for mine to switch and it says Pending). Seems like the NFT only has to be created once and that value is part of the plot signature.

Switched to Poolchia and response time is still poor, so I don’t think it’s Space Pool. Once I have enough portable plots to fill one of my drives I plan on setting up a separate machine for farming to see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

ok guys , looks like we are back in business for now … seems the hdd was going off to sleep in between … not sure why this wasnt a problem in solo farming though … so wrote a small cron job that writes to a file in the farmer hdd every minute to keep it awake … since then i have had two partials submitted and both were valid (for the first time )… i had stopped plotting to debug this issue , will start plotting (madmax with all cores dedicated) again and see how parallel farming goes
btw , the response time in debug log still shows high , but that may be different from pool response ? 2021-07-10T22:27:50.185 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO 1 plots were eligible for farming a5805abc42... Found 1 proofs. Time: 87.54086 s. Total 6 plots 2021-07-10T22:43:21.161 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO 1 plots were eligible for farming 2c359b7730... Found 0 proofs. Time: 1.29541 s. Total 6 plots 2021-07-10T22:48:54.030 harvester chia.harvester.harvester: INFO 1 plots were eligible for farming 2c359b7730... Found 1 proofs. Time: 89.88673 s. Total 6 plots

I’m glad I haven’t updated yet, lots of ppl with warnings and slow response times.
I’m in no hurry, I’ll wait till its un clusterfucked.

1 Like

I tried doing what you suggested here and it didn’t make a difference. Made a cronjob to touch a blank file on the 2 drives every minute and am still getting invalid partials.

Your not alone, something is wrong In the update code causing it seems the likely truth. Just have to wait on a fix.

1 Like

Think you are right , so just now woke up to a bunch of failed partials alongside a a handful successful ones … some thing is definitely off … did u/others try the development version https://github.com/Chia-Network/chia-blockchain.git or that one is fucked as well ? i think i might give that one a go … looks like the issue is mac specific for now ?