Synching: Where to learn what synching is and how long it takes

I have been new to chia farming and not sure where to find information about synching. What is it and how long will it take? I have 16 TB of NFT plots and they started synching for 12 hours but I had to turn off the farm computer. Will synching resume?

Thanks for any help here.

It will pick up where it left off when syncing!!!

Syncing is gathering all of the transactions that have taken place in the blockchain, into a number of files in your Chia “db” directory.

My “db” directory has 7 files. I do not know what each of them is for.
The largest one is 177 GB, using version 2 of the database (version 1 takes up approximately twice the space).

All Chia farmers will have the same blockchain, and therefore we all have the same ledger of all tranactions.

Chia will not be able to farm your plots, until your blockchain is fully synced.

How long will that take?
Perhaps a week. It might take two weeks. I am not sure.

You can download the blockchain a lot faster, via a torrent, from:

(scroll down until you see the torrent option for mainnet)

It is not current (last updated May 1st, 2024), but it is a long way closer to being current than syncing from scratch.

So even if you use the torrent to obtain most of the blockchain, you will still have approximately 3½ weeks of transaction syncing to do (which is better than 3½ years). That 3½ weeks of transactions will probably take 6 or 12 hours, I am guessing, to complete and you will be fully synced.

2 Likes

Thanks Dr. highcom and Seymour - awesome nick name by the way.