Tons of the same warning in debug.log

I would have held off, if not for the errors in my log.
That, and others chiming in with “time to upgrade” sentiments, gave me the push to do the upgrade.

The forced Windows update + my having the time, also played a part in my decision.

I hope you left some blocks for the rest of us.

1 Like

1 Like

Probably not as my brother had two wins in 24 hours.

2 Likes

Dont blame you, i do the same, why mess when its running well.

1 Like

I tried a new (afaik) useful feature of v1.5.1; making a db backup from a running client/database.
Please check my results at [(Chia 1.5.1 released)]

I use Ubuntu, is anybody able to try/test this on Windows?

1 Like

@drhicom , have you tried this?

The above link does not take me to the destination. Nothing happens when I click the link.
I get the mouse pointer change, indicating it is a link. But clicking it does nothing.

The URL is valid, however. I copied and pasted it into my web browser, and the page loaded.

Also interesting:
My quote of your (@xkredr59) link formats the name to read “Chia 1.5.1 released”, and also clicking it works.

I woke up today, and was greeted with 2 more XCH, under 1.5.0.
:slight_smile:

That win is the ultimate test. Glad to see it working.

3 Likes

Yes, that db backup option is new to version 1.5.1
My 1.5.0 version has only the “upgrade” and “validate” options (no “backup” option).

I am glad to see the “on the fly” option to backup the database, because when I made a copy of my database, yesterday, before upgrading from 1.3.3 to 1.5.0, it took a long time to copy everything to my portable hard drive. And that amount of time is only going to grow, as the database size is only going to grow.

Having Chia not running, during backups, was no big deal when the database was not too big. I would be down for only a few minutes during the file copy. But the time will come where the database will hit 1 TB or more, and that would mean staying down for a long time to do a proper backup.

With version 1.5.1, being able to create a new db, by way of Chia reading its own database and copying transactions to new location, results in no down time.

I hope that Chia gets the “options” part of the backup licked, in a future version.

And thanks for sharing the news about the “db backup” feature in 1.5.1. You posted it right after my backup, yesterday, where I was concerned about the time to copy the database.

1 Like

it’s fixed now, sorry!

1 Like

There is no DB backup option in the windows version of chia 1.5.1 that I see.

2 Likes

I feel it may be cli only, i think you avoid that.

How did you check?

In version 1.5.0, I checked via:
$ chia db --help
(two dashes preceding the word “help”)

Have you tried this yet from the cli
./chia db backup

man this is taking forever!!!

Now upgrade to 1.5.1 :wink: Reason being, it has a large number of fixes and feature improvements over 1.5.0 which are worth having.

Yes there have been some issues with minor upgrades in the past, but minor dot releases like this are supposed to be bugfixes and improvements that don’t break compatibility with earlier versions. So generally, it should be totally safe to upgrade to these versions as soon as they’re available. If there is a mistake that warrants a new version, you can either go back to the previous release or install the update once it’s available.

Not upgrading because things are working well is fine, but you’re missing out on tons of new features and improvements which could make things run better than your current version. Just because something is “working well” doesn’t mean it can’t be better! That’s often what we’re getting in these newer versions.

1 Like

I was burned with version 1.3.4.
It was unusably slow, on my 3950x.

Whereas, 1.3.3 was fine.
That is an example of a minor version upgrade that was bad news.

I believe that version 1.5.1 came out 48 hours ago. That is too soon for me.
If by Monday, no one is reporting meaningful issues, then I will upgrade to 1.5.1.

But thanks for the 1.5.1 information. I will proceed, on Monday, based on your (@chiameh) recommendation.

1 Like

Could being the important word, both views have their merit.

Fair enough :smiley: (20 chars)

I tried 1.5.0 to 1.5.1. My Full Farming environment wouldn’t load. Kept erroring out w/popup on Windows 10, “The request dd1a44c… has timed out” after 600 secs. Went back to 1.5.0 and all is well. One harvest running 1.5.0 and another running 1.5.1. I don’t recommend a full upgrade, but that’s just me. Only had one other problem w/upgrading in the past, a 1.3.x version, which I reversed and was good till the next upgrade.

1 Like

When you upgraded your nodes, did you shut down chia and install, just asking? I upgraded two farmers and two harvester to 1.5.1 no issues yet, the next morning I won a couple of blocks.

1 Like