Too many power adapters. Any good solution?

Thanks, it seems that EU uses mostly 2.1mm for cctv stuff.
So i’ll just have to order something with cheap delivery overseas. UK ebay seems to have some
Something like this

Only thing i noticed is that it says max 3amp, which would only be 36watts.

1 Like

This also looks quite sexy :heart_eyes:

Edit: Above link takes 2 months to arrrive in Holland. Ordered from aliexpress now. Title says 2.1mm, description says 2.5mm :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Surveillance-Camera-Power-Splitter/s?k=Surveillance+Camera+Power+Splitter

1 Like

Thats a good find. Looks like it’ll work with the 6pin breakout board for standard 12v PSUs.

Also, a good find! Dude your google-fu is amazing.

As a side note, I wouldn’t recommend the CCTV pigtail splitter cables, most (if not all) of them have 5.5x2.1mm barrel connectors instead of the 5.5x2.5mm ones we need.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I used, I plugged that on a server psu with a breakout board and plenty of those 6 pin molex plugs, you can run a lot of drives off of just one of those.

2 Likes

Yeah just got mine in from Ali, works great.
No more adapters! :tada: :tada:

Power consumption also dropped a bit but that makes sense. Computer psu is more efficient than those silly cheap adapters.

Just need to work a bit on my cable management
Sleeves would have been nice on these but i guess you could add the yourself.

5 Likes

Thanks bros for all the helps. I made my first one. Just a five drive bundle but the neatness has already appeared! One small form factor ATX power supply. It says +12V 16A. Paper clip power on.

Now I need a small in line volt meter to monitor the 12V performance. Some bro mentioned one but I can’t find it now.

1 Like

There are inline volt meters from $2~5 up to $… a lot

Cheap ones work, just google for them depending on location cheap or expensive …

This model sells as cheap as $2 up to $10 same thing at different online shops etc

1 Like

Nice work, do you have any numbers for the power consumption difference?

I ordered some inline voltmeter / amperemeter combo. Will post the result.

3 Likes

I made a USB hosting box of an old case. ATX power supply is paper clip power on. Front side of the case mounts 10 hard drives. A three hard drive housing taken from an old HP HPE desktop is in the lower corner. Total 13 hard drives in there. Two USB hub 5V powered chain these hard drives. 12V and 5V are both from the ATX power supply.

So far it is stable. One hard drive constant drops out the chain and comes back on.

It is hooked at a $150 HP Z210 Xeon E3-1230 harvester. Also it can do 12 plots a day to fill the hard drives.

1 Like

I use this SATA to USB 3.0 adapter. It does not come with power adapter but it has a hole to accept 5.5 x 2.1 power plug. $7 each.
31GzdzmqOvL.AC

5.5 x 2.1 power plug wire. Single wire and 1-4 splitting wire

USB hub is cheap $17

Hard drive cage. Convert case’s three 5.25 bay to 5 hard drive housing. I like this one a lot.

1 Like