Unable to load the list of the keys

I have 6 wallets and lately when trying to open the chia 1.3.4 software on windows I get a message telling me “Unable to load the list of the keys”.
There is a questions mark that has a tool tip that says "The request ####################### has timed out after 600 seconds.

cannot load list of keys

Do you have the 24 words for each key?

Also how much free space do you have on your drive?

Yes, I do have the 24 word phrases for the wallets.
there is 96GB free on the drive. It is an SSD.

Do you see any errors in the logs?

I looked in the debug.log and there is hours of the following error.

2022-04-25T16:09:20.691 wallet chia.wallet.wallet_node    : ERROR    Error adding states.. Error fetching blocks from peer None Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "chia\wallet\wallet_node.py", line 711, in receive_state_from_peer
  File "chia\wallet\wallet_state_manager.py", line 706, in new_coin_state
  File "chia\wallet\wallet_node.py", line 852, in get_timestamp_for_height
ValueError: Error fetching blocks from peer None

2022-04-25T16:09:30.593 wallet chia.wallet.wallet_node    : ERROR    Error adding states.. Error fetching blocks from peer None Traceback (most recent call last):

2022-04-25T16:10:48.331 wallet chia.wallet.wallet_node    : ERROR    Error adding states.. Error fetching blocks from peer None Traceback (most recent call last):

2022-04-25T16:11:06.635 wallet chia.wallet.wallet_node    : ERROR    Error adding states.. Error fetching blocks from peer None Traceback (most recent call last):

So I looked closer at the process list in the windows task manger and there was a rogue ‘start_full_node’ process that was running when there was no visible chia window.
I killed that process and tried running the Chia application again and it correctly loaded up the keys list without hesitation. :+1:

Thank you both for your replies

2 Likes

This is not a rogue process, but rather Chia badly handling process starting / shutting down. From time to time those processes got orphaned, and chia exits leaving those behind. If that happens, the next time you start it is usually a SOL situation.

The problem with manually killing those process (could be a wallet as well) is that they sit on blockchain db (potentially still working on updating it), and from time to time bc db will get corrupted. Unfortunately, not much can be done about it until Chia will get their act together and fix that.

Some people suggest waiting some time, but there is really no clear understanding of “some time” or whether it will go away every time (once it gets orphaned). I tend to kill it in if it is not gone in a minute or so.

So, it is a good practice to monitor those chia processes when exiting chia, and eventually kill those that linger, as problems could be just compounding.

1 Like

A Good old reboot sometimes helps greatly…

1 Like