WARNING Height xxx: It took 34.42s to apply 1076 additions and 65 removals to the coin store

Hi,

full_node chia.full_node.coin_store: WARNING  Height 2232613: It took 34.42s to apply 1076 additions and 65 removals to the coin store. Make sure blockchain database is on a fast drive

It is on the fast drive but at the same moment this drive is in use for plotting.

Main question is if it’s really about drive speed or it rather because of cpu is totally loaded and if so is there a way to give higher priority to this process/daemon?

Thanks.

You don’t want to make plots on your drive that has your database
This is how I have my machines example:

C:\ chia + database Fast SSD drive ( Samsung SSD EVO 870- 500GB)

D:\ temp drive

E:\ finished plots.

Hope this helps

We offtenly do not have what we want out of the box, instead we deal with current setup .)

I still would like my question to be answered.

Can you provide your current hard drive setup so others when they view this can respond better to your question.

tnx

What is the difference. Is it drive or is it cpu? Thats the question. I don’t really believe this is drive since i got evo plus 870 2tb.

That’s a rhetorical question, that maybe you didn’t realize is such.

If you don’t really believe, then do your own test,.

It is most likely an I/O bottleneck on the drive. Not much you can do about it except stop doing that or tolerate it.

He is also plotting at the same time, so it is also CPU bound.

I lean more toward the drive. But either way, there isn’t a solution except to eliminate the traffic.

1 Like

what makes you think so? isn’t it sql queries to update? there is no much to do with I/O, no?

That was my original point. Asking for “what is …” where the box is overloaded is just a rhetorical question.

I guess, it is your box, and we can only suggest what we saw on ours or what others were posting on this forum. The proof will come from you doing the work on your box, and eventually sharing that data with us. We are just a yakking group. Whether you want to consider those suggestions or not, is entirely up to you.

I plot on my full node box.
To ensure that that high resources process does not compete with any more important processes, I use taskmgr to lower the priority of the plotting jobs. I set the plotting jobs to the lowest priority.

Your plotting jobs will not run any slower (perhaps they might take 3 more seconds?). But that would mean that in those 3 seconds there were other processes that did not have to wait.

If you are using the command line, then you can probably kick off the plotting jobs with the “start” command, and set the priority to low. Something like this:

start /low chia_plot_k34.exe blah blah blah

For the above you would have to be in your madmax directory (unless you have that directory in your PATH variable). Or, you would have to spell out the complete path to chia_plot_k34.exe

A .bat script would simplify the process.
I just use taskmgr. It only takes a few seconds, and I have to change the priority only after the disk is full when starting it, again, for a different target disk (I use “-n” option to have “n” number of plots created. So it runs for days.

Any way you go about it, if you give the plotting job low priority, then that pretty-much eliminates it as a possible culprit for causing delays elsewhere.

Well, of course my plotter process has the lowest priority and yet this warning is here. Thanks for trying to help.