Who is dropping out?

I read a lot of cry babies in my life but this one takes the cake. In need of a soother? I’m going to a Chia forum and post about how bad it is and that I found some magical solution for making money by doing nothing, and even better, it pays better than Chia. I needed some light reading and this was it. It’s fair to say that most naysayers at this point in the project haven’t listened or followed as to what Chia is doing. Same goes for the YouTube “influencers” who can’t comprehend much and heaven forbid they would have to learn about something before having an opinion. They are as smart, in general, as being able to distinguish the difference between green and blue. Get into the inner workings of a project and understand what’s being worked on? Meh, too much work for influencers. So then you have the lemmings who can’t think for themselves. Result? Not a big uptake which to me, is great news. I’m not overly smart, but I’m smart enough to realize most influencers lack gray matter. A big audience with lack of gray matter means a lot of unintelligent lemmings out there. Please don’t change that dynamic. I like the current hardware prices. It’s more of a compliment to Chia that influencers fail to do any type of homework.

3 Likes

Fact of the matter is, the earnings of Chia are piss poor at the moment.
So some people will drop out.
Those who are remaining (the majority for now) are hoping that the project will do well into the future and that the price of Chia will also go up accordingly. They have a longer timeline and were generally more prepared for the fact that it might not make any money soon. Only time will tell who is right and who was wrong, or maybe better said who got lucky and who didn’t :sweat_smile:

Am I disappointed that had I spent the 7-8K of my farm on buying XCH right now I would have a lot more XCH than what I got farming so far? Yes a little bit. I honestly had expected to recover more of the investment before netspace grew too big and prices stated dropping for real. But well, that’s life. I’ll leave my farm happily churning pennies and see what it brings me in the future.

5 Likes

I wake up every morning and say “Time to make the Plots” collect alu cans to buy more Hard disks!!! :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Not dropping out just yet. I will try to squeeze everything from the hardware (warranty period 5 years for HDDs). Dreading the moment I need to move my rack if need to move to another house.

My lil pi is staying in my moms guestroom, running flexfarmer for stability.

But I have to say, if power cost increases much this year,
buying xch might be cheaper than farming it in my country.
If xch price decreases even more and farming becomes unprofitable in other countries as well, things might get ugly…

I have to ask but have you attended any AMA’s? Have you done a deep dive on the DD on what CHIA is currently doing and working on? XCH will be top three in 3-5 years IMHO given all the data you can gather and review. I planned for five years, but it could be sooner. There are too many good things occurring with Chia that if you did your DD, you would not do the bashing. $80 is nothing and we know that. Where were the other coins price-wise and technology-wise after being live for just 8 months? This is not a get-rich-quick scam. This is a conviction investment play. If it is not for you, move on. This community has been incredibly helpful to those who need it and were in dire straights. Needless to say, I’m very bullish on Chia and XCH.

6 Likes

Hell yes. I went from worried about value of Chia to not worrying at all. They have come out in 2022 with guns a blazing. I was more worried about the project flopping but those fears of mine have been put to rest.

3 Likes

im in the process from moving from windows to Ubuntu server. Transferring the drives from ntfs to ext4.

That takes a lot of time. Also limitations of my office (electricity) hold the project. Financial reasons (covid) as well. But im still fully in.

Greetings,

KryptoMine.ch

And your going to copy all your plots over???

@drhicom yes, that’s what I’m doing. 2 Drives left.
a) it annoyes me to have ntfs drives mounted to ubuntu
b) frees up a couple percent of “reserved” diskspace

Your Ubuntu should be able to support NTFS format, so why bother?

1 Like

@Jacek
tidying is important. Imagine you have 100 drives at some point, all with different formats and partitioning.

3 Likes

haha lol I am so enjoying this reasoning.

Yes it’s a lot of work, yes it will work fine without changing it, no it doesn’t really matter but I’d doing it anyway because it annoys me to have untidy things in my setup.

This is like me spending 60 bucks on new wheels for my 16U rack case just because I didn’t like the feel of the original wheels :sweat_smile:
I am not the only crazy person!

2 Likes

There are people dropping out.

I’ve bought several USB drives used off eBay recently from different sellers, and some of them have been full of chia plots.

Yes, I know they’re no use to anyone else but even so - to keep things tidy I’d have deleted them before selling the drive!

1 Like

you sure are a funny one :rofl:

I don’t know what peeps are having against tidying up. Some upfront work makes future Kryptominer happier. My farm is mostly automated. Plug a hard drive in and off it goes. Formatting, mounting, adding to farm and plotting. In such an automated environment, variation is hazardous.
For instance, I could not implement auto format of ntfs drives yet. It might be one of the drives with my plots on it! I would have to add more and more edge cases to my code…
also imagine one drive got corrupted. The system may attempt an automatic repair with sudo fsck.ext4 /dev/disk/by-uuid/ but hold on, that command only supports ext4 formatted hard drives.

Simmilarly, I put a sticker on each individual harddrive. Eg “Plotfield 1”, “Plotfield 2”, …
on the harddrive itself, there is a file called “Plotfield 1” and the mounting point is /mnt/plotfield1
Might sound tidious but if a drive failes on me, I do not have to fiddle with 100 drives to find out which individual drive has the issue…

From my point of view having it tidy is the only way if you want to do it professionally.

3 Likes

dont know how harsh we are here with double posts. Ill give it a try as it does not really fit to my previous post. I have a colleague and my cousin dropping out.

Both thought this is the quick money.
Both dived in too deep to quick with their investments.
Both were frankly a little overwhelmed by how complicated it actually can be for a non it-technician to build, configure maintain and secure a system.
One of them had network issues.

To everyone new and non it technician, I can only say: Start small and slow, possibly on an old scrap computer.
Doesn’t matter how quick you plot. Buy 1 hdd maybe or fill up what you have to gather experience. And then expand bit by bit.

If your keen you put in the effort and learn…
I remember creating my first bat files for btc , I’m far from a tech, but the passion drove me onwards.
Many many years later I’m far more tech savvy than ever, but still much to learn.
At the end of the day, if your passionate about it, you will learn it.

2 Likes

BTT im looking at netspace every day and its still decreasing, very slowly though.

The original question was “who is dropping out?” and I think thats a good question.
The first correct answer is imho:

I wonder who is still increasing netspace, guys like in this forum or the real big players?

I really not sure what you are on about, I have 6TB, 8TB, 10TB, 12TB, 14TB, 16TB and 18TB drives and they all sound the same. Tell you one thing that’s for certain, 16TB use half as much electric per TB as 8’s do :smiley:

Oh, and I’m in for the long haul as well.

1 Like