Why is my full node taking a year to sync

Ok i have a ryzen 7 5800x and ive had the chia full node open for the pasted 3 months and its only at 1,137,000 why is it taking so long and is there anything i can do?

What version of Chia are you running?
What OS are you running?

By “open”, do you mean your computer has been up and running, continuously, for 3 months?
An occasional reboot is understandable. But otherwise it has been up and running for 3 months?

Were you ever synced, and then fell out of sync?
Or did you install Chia 3 months ago and it never synced?

hey sir thanks for responding but yeah i downloaded the latest chia and ive had my chia open for the past three months with the occasional reboot and its only at the 1,137,000 what should i do?

Syncing completely from scratch is very slow, though even 3 months is far too long so you could be limited by some other issue. The database file being on an SSD helps, as does connecting to more peers.

Regardless, the faster way to resync is to get the latest snapshot of the database from Downloads - Chia Network and start from there. The latest checkpoint is from Oct. 1 as of now, so nearly 300,000 blocks behind to resync. At your current rate, this would still take a few weeks though.

I have the impression that earlier versions of Chia “compensated” missing blocks faster after a short shutdown of the farmer computer.
Also, when I run my plotter from time to time, where I also have an “emergency database” of .db files - I can clearly see slower block completion, compared to older versions - 1. * . *
But maybe more data is being written to the block now.

Whilst I was replotting recently I used the foxy farmer software to farm (it doesn’t require a full node). Just for the hell of it I thought I’d see how long it took to sync a completely new block chain database. The answer, six days, this was on 2.1.1.

If you’re taking months something is seriously wrong.

Sounds like you have a VERY slow connection with high latency, or you have your system on a SLOW hard drive and are doing other stuff on the system.

Are you on a Sat connection like Hughes, ViaNet, or Exceed?

What’s your networking setup? Port forwarding set up correctly? Your PC has a fixed IP address, a static address?
I was getting a few odd errors so I deleted my database folder and started sync from scratch. Around 5 days. Running smoothly now. Linux Mint with updates suspended/disabled. I run update manually every week or two with the Chia app closed. Reboot, and start it up again. Takes a minute or two to resync: normal stuff.

I have it directly plugged into the cable modem port is forwarded and static ip. Going to look for perhaps an old chia db that could be on computer and try reinstalling.

Yep was an old db hiding in C drive. Thanks for the tip on the db…got past the infinity circle of do nothing lol! Now if I can get my keys back in and synch I will chalk up today as crypto productive

1 Like