Are faucets safe for a novice

As the title says…

Are faucets safe for a total GUI novice to use?
Are there any risks?

1 Like

I can’t think of any. It’s like asking if there is a safety problem in sharing your bank account number so someone can wire you five bucks.

By itself, no, because otherwise how would anyone get paid?

1 Like

It’s probably even safer than bank account number as you can generate a new address for each transaction (which I believe is considered to be a good practice anyway)

2 Likes

Yeah, that is kinda like those “generate a new credit card number each time” services.

1 Like

Well we do have a disclaimer on our faucet in regards to privacy. Sharing a receive address publicly technically opens a possibility to mach some coin transactions to/from the wallet in the future. It’s not a serious concern for most novices, but it’s something that warrants a small disclaimer, I think.

2 Likes

So what exactly does this mean?

1 Like

Ok, so for most faucets, it’s fairly safe. If you enter your address in an input box that only you see, it’s really only going to be between you and the person who runs the faucet. You have to trust the person running the faucet to be honest to some extent and not link your address with your identity (like a social media username), but given their position in the community, they do not want to ruin their reputation and will ensure your addresses remain unlinked to your identity. For the Chia Garden Discord Faucet, you are sharing your address publicly with everyone on the server, but I’ve heard from the dev team that they are working on a private message feature to ensure your address is private.

The worst a faucet can do is make your address public and tie it back to your identity. They can’t spend any of your funds, they can’t hack your node, they can’t find out who you are. If you don’t mind people seeing your wallet balance or watching when you make transactions to known addresses (like exchanges), you are fine. I would say 99% of people don’t really care if their address is public, if anything they are happy because someone might send free Chia their way. There are ways to link addresses together even if using different addresses with complex chain analysis, but faucets are generally safe and can’t do anything malicious.

1 Like

The one risk if you don’t use a new receive address with a faucet is that the faucet owner can link your IP address to your XCH balance, divulging which city or even neighborhood you live in if you aren’t using a VPN. Of the faucets on this list, the official Chia faucet is probably the safest to use.

1 Like

Thanks to everyone for the replies…
Some very interesting comments…

1 Like
  1. it is possible to see all the transactions coming to the same address (easily mitigated by using one-time address).
  2. it is possible to see where you spend the amount received from faucet (even if it’s a part of a larger amount). Of course, it’s unlikely that Faucet knows anything about the receiver address anyway.

So the de-anonymisazion danger is somewhat theoretical. Faucet is not likely to leverage public address knowledge and match it in any way. Compared to the amount of tracking you experience on any modern website and to KYC requirements, it’s basically private.

1 Like

Yes, I agree with what Alex stated. While it’s technically possible to see what city you are in and then link your addresses together, it takes a while and is not feasible with the level of addresses that are entered into our faucets.

I run the https://chia.togatech.org/, and I believe Alex runs the Chia Garden Discord Faucet, I can confirm my faucet is just as safe as the official one, and I’m sure after the Discord faucet implements private messages, Alex can say the same. Yes, there’s some degree of trust, but you either trust us or you trust the Chia devs. Obviously, we don’t want to destroy our reputation by doing something malicious, just like the Chia devs wouldn’t.

1 Like

They are safe, because they do not require anything from you. You provide no more data, than minimum necessary for sign up. As an example, you may use our faucet for both testnet and mainnet.
https://chia-faucet.com/