Bought 400 plots. Now what?

Hi guys, i have recently bought 400 plots on 7 HDD, and i have received the private key with the 24(backup words).

So my question is how do I move all the plots from his key to my own key ? Is that possible ?

Should i just plot on his key… ?

Before i bought his plots i have had like 60 plots myself and now in chia app it’s showing 2 keys on the plots ?

What can I do ? Please helppppp :blush:

I don’t think this is possible.

You could set up two computers:

1. Computer one with your wallet farming your plots/plots made with your keys.

2. Computer two with his wallet farming his plots/plots made with his keys.

That should work.

1 Like

What you are wanting to do is not possible. Plots are tied to the keys that produced them. Forever.

The only think you can do is redirect rewards to a cold wallet.

1 Like

How can I exactly do that ? Thanks :blush:

Yes, but i have the key, i have the private key with the 24 (backup words)

I can just add the his wallet and start plotting again ? Right ?

Adam, see my response above, that will work

1 Like

So i need two PC’s to make it work :frowning:

But that isn’t what you asked. Can you just add his key to your chia software and plot with it? Yes. Can you move his plots to your key, no. Those are two very different things.

Ya i should be more clear, sorry about that.

What is i have his plots connected and login into his key, and plot with my own public key… Because i have been tried it out and i can see that the plots are increasing in numbers…

If I was going to do this I would setup a farmer machine, with the private key you’ve been given, and it can farm away on the plots you’ve bought, all kept on that machine. On the GUI go to [Farm] and hit the three dots on the right of “Your Farm Overview” the only option is “manage farming rewards”, in the “farmer reward address” you enter the receive-address for your cold wallet (see below). There will be a CLI way to do it too see the Chia FAQ.

The main issue here Adam is that the person who sold you the plots and key, could have kept a copy of that key, then kept that wallet in sync, and if they see any Chia appear in it transfer it to another wallet. Do you trust them? If so it’s less of a problem.

To make a cold wallet, install Chia on a machine that you know to be safe (no malware,viruses, dodgy stuff etc) create a new wallet and mnemonic which you can print out and store in a safe or bury it in the garden or whatever, use the receive address from that wallet on the machine where you are farming your bought ready made farm. Now delete the Chia software and erase all trace of the “cold” wallet. It is now effectively offline.

If you want to plot and farm your own plots on a separate machine (or virtual machine I suppose) with another key (you can still redirect any rewards to your cold wallet from as many other keys as you want) you can do so. It’s not perfect, by any means and is the reason you can (safely for all) prospectively plot as a service using public farmer and pool keys, but you cannot really sell a complete farm without some way to trust that the seller isn’t going to keep the key and monitor the account.

2 Likes

I just changed it :+1::relaxed: thanks for a very helpful response

Is it really an issue if someone else has the pvt key?
I know with other cryptos it is, so I’d assume it is with chia too.
I only ask as I keep seeing ppl write that it’s fine to run chia clones as you can choose to have winnings sent to a cold wallet, and that you need the plots to be able to do so, thus making it safe.
I’m skeptical about if that truly is the case.

1 Like

I think it’s true, i have currently set my wallet to a cold storage and Everything works fine.

It depends…
The private key of you wallet that hold all your coins has to be safe, so that no one can steal it.
For farming you need the secret key that is tied to the plots to sign your proofs, else you don’t get the rewards for your found proof.
But while farming with one private key, you can set the reward address to a secure wallet (paper wallet in the best case) an you can only be robbed the single reward if anyone does use the same plots with the same private farming key.
But in most cases it makes no sense to sell hdds filled with plots and with private key and keep a copy of all the sold plots!

2 Likes

In theory, if the system works instantly then winning coins with your Chia farmer with let’s call it private key 1, which you are also using to run say Flax farmer with private key 1 farming the same plots, instantly sends your reward to the second “cold” wallet which has private key 2 (which has never been online except to create it one time on a clean computer). Someone else who knows private key 1 shouldn’t be able to get in there between the win and the transfer to the cold wallet. Or can they? This is what is not 100% clear.

2 Likes

No this is not possible.

It’s only possible that the same plots are served with the same key twice and the first accepted signed (with private key) proof gets the reward send to the defined reward address. The reward address is always part of the submitted proof.

So selling your plots with key and keeping only the key is useless as long as the new owner of the plots set the reward address to his second wallet.

2 Likes

Do you feel there is sufficient safety to farm say Flax with Chia plots and share the private key for the chia plots assuming both the chia farmer and flax farmer are sending rewards to cold wallets.

I was thinking of running a separate flax farmer machine but having it farm network shares on my chia farmer machine for an extra layer of protection, though I guess if the chia private key is shared and only the cold wallet recevie address is present on the chia farmer machine then there isn’t any way in this setup that the 2 cold wallets or the rewards going to them can be compromised.

I am not sure if I am paranoid enough given the stories I have seen here about peoples rewards going missing.

1 Like

Anyone have any idea why i have so many not found plots ?

Did you add those 400 to your existing 60 plots? It won’t work as the 60 plots were plotted with a different key.

You either use another machine to farm the 400 plots using the mnemonic given to you or replot your 60 plots using that guy’s keys.

You have no choice but to separate the two farms.