Chia Coin price dropped below $200! What now?

Not good for short term farmers who want to make a quick buck. It’s great for me who will hold in speculation that it will take a year or two to go up.

Most people pooled at HPool for many months before the official came out. And right now, they’re still farming at HPool with their OG plots (look at the stat) while plotting the new NFT plots. I don’t see your point :sweat_smile:

Most people? It was 12 EIB out of 30 EIB. Thats not most. And in that time, they collected peanuts. Going to $1000 still wouldn’t get them to ROI. My goal is to collect as much as possible to sell in a year or two. If the price is high, netspace will be high, and I won’t get as much, hence, less money. Why is that so hard to understand?

Can you give me a sane reason why a long-term farmer would prefer XCH to have a low price while they can just use their XCH to expand their farm (if the price didn’t stoop this low)?

Yes, I called it “most” since you’re talking about pool. However, if you also included the people that would go solo no matter what, then what is the point to bring up the official pool release into your debate?

Go read an investment book, then come back and talk to me. This isn’t something I came up with in my head. It’s called math.

Telling people that they don’t know anything while you can’t even give proper reasoning to back it up is just lame :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t have the time to sit here and educate you on how crypto investing works. That lesson isn’t free.

Correct, no coin launches with any kind of ecosystem to start, including BTC and ETH.

The majority of investing is putting something of value into a thing that you think will be worth more later than the thing of value you put in within the time period you want. Period.

For me, will the XCH I yield in the next X years from the dollars I put in today be worth more in X years than the dollars I put in today?

I believe so. We’ll see in X years.

We all break even at the right price. The next likely bull run will be around 2024 at the next BTC halvening. What will XCH price be?

A 14TB HDD (shucked external WD Easystore from Bestbuy) is $320. 14TB is ~127 plots which is 0.1 XCH/month currently. At $1000 you break even in ~3 months. At $10,000 you break even in 10 days.

It’s all about time horizon and price. Most people have short time horizons and don’t believe the price could be something wild. I know. I followed BTC from $0.25 and never thought it would hit the numbers it has.

At the end of the day I just say, “Keep your FUD, I’ll keep my coins” :smiley:

4 Likes

What most people don’t understand about Chia (or stocks in general) is that the market is volatile. You have to win big in Crypto mining and cash out when the price is high (or gets high). Otherwise you stick it out. Don’t cash out just because of a few bad months in a row because things will change.

1 Like

If you still think the project has potential now buying gets you much more XCH than farming, invest accordingly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only reason I didn’t purchase 2 or 4 XCH is because I can’t sink $400 or 800 into XCH I would rather sink the money into hardware that is guaranteed worth something and usable.

2 Likes

Exactly. I apply basic principles.

If the current is flowing downstream, I don’t try to row upstream.

It’s that simple if you really want to be ahead of the market.

You can always use bigger timeframes if you wish.

1 Like

Oh yeah I agree, I meant if people are willing to put more $ in, buying the coin directly would be better than getting more HW.

I am only buying with profits from XCH too, I am not putting more than that now.

This is just tongue-in-cheek but… who are you going to buy the XCH from if there are no farmers to make them? For Chia to succeed, farmers are kinda important, just sayin’. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

But however many farmers there are, the amount of XCH being created remains constant. So it doesn’t matter how many there are from a supply side, technically.

Technically if there are zero farmers than the amount of XCH is being created is zero… technically.

I’m just messin’. Pretty sure farmers are an important part of the value equation, don’t ask me how, I didn’t study economics. But, if the number of farmers dwindles to low numbers, then Chia is probably dead, right?

1 Like

I know you were kidding, but I find it interesting that Chia gets minted every 10 seconds regardless of how many farmers there are.

As far as the relationship between the number of farmers and the life of Chia I think it actually goes the other way around - the perceived value of chia drives people to farm it. - in and of itself a lot of people farming chia does not increase the value of Chia.

However if chia is perceived by the market to be valuable that incentivizes people to farm it because the rewards are worth it. This has the added benefit of decentralization, which does perhaps feed into the value of Chia, but I really don’t think the number of farmers is a huge factor - it will always come down to the perceived value of chia in the market, which in crypto is frequently so unmoored from any kind of standard valuation that I hesitate to even speculate.

Sadly, Elon Musk deciding to tweet a lame dad joke about Chia would have more impact on it’s value than having millions of farmers.

3 Likes

As long as there’s farmers you’ll have rewards rolling to someone. I myself am still farming with wtv hardware I’ve got for this, I don’t think Chia farmers will all go away (some might) and if 80% go away, there’s the economic incentive to get new farmers (they’ll earn more easily) so it will always find an equilibrium. I think the netspace will be much more stable now but won’t decrease much… (Even if 50% which I am pretty sure won’t happen we would still have 15EiB!)

3 Likes

Hmmm, I wonder if its a matter of supply vs demand then?

Too many farmers, and no demand for XCH means tanking XCH value. If the demand for XCH goes up, and the number of farmers go down, then XCH value goes up? And when demand goes up, value goes up, farmers go up.

I really wished I learned economics. So for XCH value to go up we need it to be tradeable? Be able to buy stuff with it? Like how bitcoin is preferred by criminal organisations (and El Salvador)? :laughing:

I guess at the end of the day both farmers and traders are part of the equation.