CHIA DATABASE DOWNLOAD - updated every 24 hours

Hey I think is a good idea to have the sql database in some place for download. I will suggest that only have the database files on it, no scripts no executable files, that will increase the trust of the users. Regarding the integrity of the database, im sure if somebody modify that database the nodes wont sync, thats my theory of course :slight_smile:

Can someone explain to me why downloading a large file from a single source is faster than the p2p network? Distributing the block chain is basically one Torrent, and I think someone on the Chia team is pretty familiar with that kind of p2p transfer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ppl ( nodes ) limit their upload bandwidth ( we’ll, some do ). Just as with torrenting.

80 peers should aggregate to a pretty good rate though. Pretty sure I used to saturate my ISP connection with fewer peers back in the day.

I dint see any peers sharing anywhere near as fast as even good torrenters, where I can get a large film in 5 mins

Daily is quite frequent. I would love to see an update every 2 weeks published and distributed by torrents. Torrents are absolutely the best way to distribute these files.

The Chia nodes are inefficient at parsing the P2P data and storing it on disk. By downloading the already-parsed-and-stored file, you can skip the process of the Chia Blockchain software having to think critically about the blockchain data.

Torrents are faster than downloading from a single source, generally.

I was watching my syncing, and basically saw data coming from just two/four peers (cannot say whether it was a parallelized or rather just round-robin processing). This to me indicates that chia is not parallelizing those downloads.

Larry’s full sync took 36 hours (for about 30GB blockchain), what boils down to below 2 Mbps speed (250 KBps). This further indicates that there is no parallelism in the download process.

Yes, some people do limit the number of peers (e.g., I do), but the reason is that their boxes just cannot handle the syncing process when running with 80 peers (mine is i5 with db on an NVMe). So, the original problem is not with those boxes with lower peer count. Basically, lowering the peer count makes those boxes be functional nodes, as otherwise they are dead to the network.

Again, reflecting on Larry’s case, his average download was just 2Mbps. Do you think that was somehow related to the limited number of peers (those other nodes had)? Let’s assume that it was the case, that would further mean that the average ratio of those stunned nodes to happy nodes was 10:1 (i.e., only 10% of nodes running at full speed).

Also, how that relates to people that sync for a week without being fully synced.

Larry’s case was ~200 KBps (kilo bytes per second download speed). An average SSD has ~500 MBps write speed - 200x faster. An average 3GHz box with 4 cores can process 12 G instructions per second - roughly 10,000 instructions per one byte delivered.

So, yeah we can call it inefficient.

The first problem is around the code that handles db, and the second about synchronization between that code and the code that handles all those peers. Basically, the synchronization part is broken, and thus we see syncing improvements when the number of peers is being reduced. Of course, the db code sucks as well, as for rather small db with rather small traffic it looks like we need right now NVMes and multi-core latest CPU.

The problem is that db is constantly growing, as such this problem will just spread to more and more nodes (as chia says, those under-powered nodes).

Man, thank you so much for this utility. PLEASE, as an old chia farmer, don’t pay attention to people who are blocking or putting obstacles to you with their comments. There is no such thing as a “corrupt database” I won’t go into technical details here. Just thank you and keep up your work!

2 Likes

it helped me, thank you!

Helped me as well. No issues. Thank you

No issues? I tried the link yesterday and it was dead. Today it seems to be back up.

Elysium Pool is releasing a more reliable alternative to this download method, distributed efficiently and securely by P2P torrents.

Please refer to https://site.elysiumpool.com/bootstrap/ to use Elysium Pool’s Chia Blockchain Bootstrap downloads.

2 Likes

It doesn’t work for me, If I use your database, Chia can’t connect. Any other ideas?

https://www.chia-database.com/

This is rather vague as far as understanding what problem you have.

This is what happend when I copy the download file to my pc (windows):

When you downloaded that db, did you delete your wallet db? Maybe that db is the problem.

Rebuilding wallet db is relatively fast (compared to db rebuild) - potentially few hours only.

You may also want to check your logs for errors (findstr ERROR %USERPROFILE%.chia/mainnet\log\debug.log). Maybe wallet errors are there already.

I deleted the wallet database and even delete all the entries that chia have in the system for a complete clean setup.

Last errors:

2022-02-21T21:03:43.321 wallet chia.wallet.wallet_node : WARNING bad peak response from peer None
2022-02-21T21:03:43.321 wallet chia.wallet.wallet_node : WARNING bad peak response from peer None
2022-02-21T21:03:43.322 wallet chia.wallet.wallet_node : WARNING bad peak response from peer None
2022-02-21T21:03:43.323 wallet chia.wallet.wallet_node : WARNING bad peak response from peer None

If I start with the original db, all works and start to sync. So the problem it’s with the downloaded one.

Usually, you don’t need to delete all the chia entries. If anything is bad / corrupted that is virtually always either blockchain or wallet db error.

As you mentioned that those errors are “Last errors,” my take is that those are secondary errors that are kind of worthless. The root error most likely is one of the very first one. Although, when wallet db whines, that usually means that for some reason it has db problems.

I have nothing to do with either of those two downloads, so I really cannot say how good those are. I saw that several people confirmed that chia-database ones are working. This one (elyysiumpool) is a new one, so not that many people that tested it and/or wrote much about it.

As you are saying that when you use the original db, you are connected and start syncing, then are you just starting from scratch or rather just testing those downloadable dbs? Do you have problems with your original dbs?

I restored from my own backup and now I’m farming again. I don’t know what was it but with the first download on this post it doesn’t work for me.

1 Like