Circuit board expert electrician advice needed. Affordable DIY 48 Bay JBOD project

yes but how much do the 90 bays cost?
Asking for a friend :slight_smile:

1 Like

NetApp DE6600 - 60 bay LFF ~ 1500$
SuperChassis 946ED-R2KJBOD - 90 bay LFF ~ 7k

1 Like

Exactly :smiley:

(20 characters)

I can’t believe I did that

here what I found

Waiting on my lab psu to hookup 6V and 3.3V to those pins and see what happened :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a simple 4R custom rack farm containing 48 + 16 HDDs.

High-efficiency platinum PSUs Seasonic, no dodgy convertors…simple available cables, expanders, HBAs.

4R used to cost 30CHF Alu HDD holders 20CHF each (already had large Alu plate, and paid 20 beers for milling :smiley: )

Farm noise around 35 dBA.

1 Like

what is 4R? also could you give you farm lil photoshoot? Would like to take a look at it.
48+16 that’s a pretty good density, and pretty quiet

1 Like

4R = 4 stock Regal :smiley: Farm is classified custom design :stuck_out_tongue:

if you want to keep it quiet, you need an open frame, as most guys do.

I have milled custom alu alloy brackets to keep 8 drives together.

2 Likes

Hello friends! Here are some updates on the current state of my project!

I got a T620 mobo with all the required cables to provide power to the mobo.
And signaling cable to the backplane which turns the backplane on.

So with everything connected, I’ve managed to get 5V finally.

That means the show will go on!
I need to figure out which combination of signals turns the backplane on.
And now I can safely do my reverse engineering without fear of frying my main server :slight_smile:
Wish me luck will keep you all updated!

3 Likes

I’m using a small collection of HP’s msa60 drive shelves and a hp sa-822 array controller.
they are plug in and play. My first chia array is 12 raid 5 14 tb drives, My next drive expansion will be 6x20 tb drives followed by another 6x20 tb- replacing my 2x 6x2tb media library arrays. this design will provide approx. 300 tb of plot space. Once that is done I may upgrade 2 more msa60 drive shelves, basically surplussing 24 1 tb drives.

Here is my old jbod modified, took off every fans and it work fine. Natural cooling.

5 Likes

That’s awesome :clap:t2:

Super cool

Must say, i’m surprised that keeps cool enough with the disks so close together. What kind of temps are you seeing?

Big time! That’s wassup. Congrats. Hope it all worked out for you. Super cool.
Servers are so much fun!
Photos when completed!

1 Like

I have two running and one waiting to be modified. I dont know how hot they are but both have worked well.

2 Likes

thats cracken!!! well done.
few 120mm fans and ul be good to go… a cooler drive will spin longer some data shows.
i bet the sound of the disks all spinning up -fan any noise, is pretty satisfying tho.

Here is my temporary solution for DIY JBOD
For now sitting on 300+ TiB
30 drive’s online. Temps are 32C flat.
Consumption about 7.5w per drive, those are 7200rpm sas drive (8tb/10tb mix)

Using breakout board for power delivery and HBA controller with 9port HBA hub card.
Soon will double current capacity

2 Likes

Btw, I’m using hpool for mining, that’s allowing me to use x-proxy gpu. Meaning I have two machines sharing one gpu for decompression while actively plotting. That’s is awesome.
When I’m done plotting will put my RTX 2080 into zima board in x-proxy mode. That’s will grand me low power gpu decompression for c7 plots. Also working with zima board devs to add support for HBA cards into their BIOS.

Hope this setup will be working soon :slight_smile:

1 Like