Circuit board expert electrician advice needed. Affordable DIY 48 Bay JBOD project

Cost for “housing” for each hard drive how much $? Thanks.

1 Like

It’s really depends on your particular configuration.
Let’s say we building it for 24 drives:
HBA controller $30-x1
HBA hub(9ports 8087) $45-x1
Sas 8087 cables - $15-x6
Breakout board with cables CHIX V1 $70-x1
PSU $10-x1
12 bay aluminum case $55-x2
ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 120mm fan $6.89x6

Total is 396.34 ~ $400
$400 / 24 = $16.6
And its scale’s really well, lowering cost per drive drastically. If you could find cheaper solution for housing you may cut 1/3 from final price.

2 Likes

Here’s constrains what you need to keep in mind when planning to build something like this

1 PSU - 1 breakout board - 24 drives(technically you can do 40 drives but I wouldn’t recommend to do so)

1 sas 8087 cable (4sas lanes) - 4 drives

1 lsi hub (9ports 8087) - (1 port for 4 drives) 32 drives per hub or 24-28 if you want to daisy chain hubs and or increase bandwidth between hubs/controller

1 hba controller can operate up to 125 drives ( depending on controller)

2 Likes

I buy those old EMC STL3 15 slot array. Buying at $250 with one 8088 cable and one pair of factory rail. Each HDD housing cost $17.

One cheap LSI-9200 2 port external HBA $20.

I buy, you DIY. DIY, the pleasure is priceless.

2 Likes

How about power consumption and noice levels?

EMC STL3, 15 slot, about 100W running. Noise level is accepatble. Mostly fan noise.

I’m still on the edge about DIYing or buying, but can’t find a good jbod deal in EU. As jack said, there’s also more pleasure in DIY!

I have two of my DIY jbod’s left over :wink:

Yup, respect to you for putting all that effort in! Best I could find was a full server, 2U and 14LFF, total cost was less than $10 per slot but the density is horrendous and it’s a full fledged server so the w/tb becomes crap. I guess if you’re into electronics and like to assemble, you can frankeinstein a jbod with some backplanes at a really cheap price!

Added little cooling, three usb powered fans and they are attached with aluminium tape. What a mess😂

1 Like