Extremely slow results from Samsung 980 m.2 SSD

Important note: I do NOT have the 980 pro!!! It is just the 980… Samsung acknowledged that there were firmware issues with the 980 pro but still have not with the plain 980. The Samsung Magician software started showing sub 100 MB/s write speeds so I’m sending it back for RMA!

1 Like

Thanks! I actually do not have the 980 Pro, its just the plain 980 with no additional modifier. I’m guessing that the 980 does use the same cache system as the Pro but I’ve been getting more like .5GB/s speeds!

did you get expected good results (around 2000mb/sn) for write speeds with fio and dd in ubuntu but not good results (around 500-600 mb/sn) with disk benchmarg tool (gui) in ubuntu?

I am about to be crazy. i did trim, i get good results with fio and dd but terrible results with disk benchmark tool. When it comes to plotting, results are terrible too.

I checked the write results with magician on windows. these results were ok too.

But i still do not know why i get bad results with benchmark tool and plotting.

btw way, my both ssds are running on temperatures as below,

Temperature sensor 1 - 60-65C
Temperature sensor 2 - 90-97C

1 Like

i thought the trim thing was a linux issue that windows was unaffected/or did it automatically. i don’t recall where i read that but if windows does benefit i’d love to know!

Way too high for sensor 2 (the controller). This will cause throttling. Use a heatsink with good airflow.

hmm thanks for the feedback. i guess this is something that i need to fix somehow. i do not how to solve yet because i am using a workstation hp laptop and two m2 ssds are inside the laptop, there is no place to install a heat sink.

I will think about to cool my ssd. If you have any ideas, would be great to hear.

THanks.

Below is samsung 980 1tb and not expected plotting times.

below is another ssd with acceptable results.

Place it on a raised platform and leave the covers removed so the heatsinks can stick out. Then place a fan blowing across the bottom.

1 Like

i will check that. thanks.

btw do you guys have any idea regarding that io values on plotman?
io values are always higher on bad ssd rather than good one.

Well I got almost the same values, isn’t this normal?

1 Like

are you referring my post or which one?

Yeah, the post with the screenshot about the io values.

how u set ur plot settinng… RAM and thread?

Using Samsung 980 SSD in an external enclosure with MacBook Pro - like a USB-C pen drive .
I am getting around 950 MBps.

980 - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08TJ2649W/
external enclosure - https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07TD2RKM6/

It is not, unless you are IO bottlenecked

Maybe in a burst or doing a single plot, but this SSD isn’t very suited to do intensive tasks. It’s about 1/5th the speed of a 980Pro for running multiple Chia plots, if even that.

1 Like

getting 3 plots every 13 hours - parallel run without stagger delays.

config used - 28000 ram and 8 threads (i9 processor) for this parallel set

Yeah as said, that’s not great. :frowning:

I know. But I don’t have options to place that ssd inside laptop - so using externally.

Sure and sometimes it’s whatever works, I just kind of want to prevent people thinking “oh the 980 does ~1GB/sec? That’s pretty good” because it really isn’t a good SSD for plotting. :slight_smile: