Hate/Fear for Compressed plots/GPU farming

I am trying to understand the mentality of the voices that don’t like compressed plot farming. I think the concern is that it adds extra GPU/CPU power demands to a farm. So that the overall power usage goes up per farm. But also the amount of plots available for a given amount of disk space also goes up which in turn should bring back down the power required for a given effective capacity. But then as effective netspace goes up the reward for a given amount of plots goes down. So really I guess smaller farmers and definitely those who do not increase their effective plot size through adding more plots (either by compression or more disk space) lose out. Is that it? If so I think maybe you thought that effective netspace would stay static and not grow, which would mean a block chain few are interested in. Or worse shrink, which would mean that everyone was quitting. Either way, I think we need growth for Chia to catch on.
Now if you are saying that Chia is less green now. I can counter that Chia is not green at all since having it consumes more energy than we did before, as there were no Chia farms consuming energy a few years back. Chia will only be greener if it replaces other block chains and becomes more desirable to farm than they are. Thus shrinking the crypto footprint of energy consumption globally.
These are my thoughts right now. Feel free to change my mind if you desire. Once again, thank you to anyone who bothers to read my posts.

2 Likes

Thats why I joined Foxypool and just sitting back. Its less stress that way. Yes there are other pools, But Felix has a cool hat… :cowboy_hat_face:

You are aware that when most farmers will have compressed plots, you will gain exactly nothing compared to the previous situation when only normal plots were used?

Yup. Only I will have compressed plots. So I will stay in the thick of it.

It feels a little experimental. First to offer were commercial enterprises (I know chia is too but). So I think it just felt very intrusive - but in the end it’s inevitable.

Hi!

According to my avatar, I only have UNcompressed plots.
I know that both progress and economics do not tolerate sentiments,
however, I got used to the old plots and the “ecological” farm.
For me, chia has a slightly different dimension and meaning.
I was looking for something new in crypto.

Both technically and financially I can afford to buy a GPU or more RAM - but I kept wondering - and in the end I didn’t take this step.
Also the same with suspending the purchase of further HDDs.

Tell me what the difference is - having 100 XCH or having twice as much…?

If it’s worth $30 for the next 10 years.
You still have “almost nothing”…

If its price goes up, sky high - what difference does it make whether you have $1M or $2M?
Let’s not be greedy…

EDIT:
And I’ll tell you more - it’s even more strange because currently I have electricity… for free.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s a very good summary of many peoples thoughts.

1 Like

When compressed plots arrived, I sold my chia. It’s not the game I want to play. For the moment, there isn’t a replacement.

1 Like

i am agree with every single word.
please help me to understand that, if farmer wants generate c1 plot needs gpu? no one can generate c1 plot files with cpu?

With the official CNI software and using Windows, if you want C>0 compression you need to have several hundred GB of RAM or GPU.
Both options with BladeBit Plotter 3.1.0 (RAM plot and CUDA plot).
The third version of BladeBit (Disc plot) does not have a plot compression option.

1 Like

Thats why you need to run Gigahorse plots!!! :joy:

2 Likes

GH can plot with just 8GB RAM. Also, k2200 can farm lower compression plots (max 40W or so) - https://github.com/madMAx43v3r/chia-gigahorse/tree/master/cuda-plotter#disk-mode-8g-ram-ssd-for--3-optional-second-ssd-for--2.

Personally I think the best move chia could make would be to move to a new plot size or format that would render compression impractical, rather than pursue higher compression levels.
Once everyone is on compressed plots it makes less sense, Just more hardware to buy and unnecessary extra energy usage, the only ones profiting from this are the ones charging a fee to use their software.

2 Likes

And Nvidia :rofl:

Seriously though, ultimately I think you’re right. Uncompressed would be better. I wonder though how long a new plot format would hold up to the ingenuity of ppl out there.
In any case it’s a 1 year minimum plan, and then requires consensus (or chain split) to get adopted.

2 Likes

So, really no incentive for NoSSD, GH, DrPlotter to incorporate Chip 22 before that is in place.

Does that imply that both NoSSD and GH (maybe DrPlotter?) have a shot at blocking it at that time?

I guess, that nicely summarizes all the whining about decentralization.

Long live NoSSD :wink:

An uncompressed 500TB farm uses 300W, a nossd C13 850eTB farm uses 400W. Figures from my farm today.

…so uncompressed uses 25% more energy

1 Like

Well it’s all guessing atm, new plot format is an idea being loosely discussed/fantasized about. No one know if it will come, let alone when.
And in the meantime the third parties do have incentives to use Chip-22, and as far as I know, they are already doing it since they also co-developed it.

Not directly, but they will keep being very influential for sure. But ultimately it comes down to farmers and their willingness to replot and/or abandon a (perceived) relative advantage over others.
The fact of the matter is that right now, Chia farming favors those with cheap power over those with pricy power. What is their incentive to change?

Yes and no…
Depending on how you look at it.
If you consider a parameter that is not based on the issue of performance/efficiency…

It can also be assumed that the farmer’s limited funds (for various reasons) resulted in him staying permanently at 500 TB (without purchasing new HDDs).
If plot compression did not exist (or was not allowed), his farm would still consume 300W (instead of 400W) - that is, it would be 33.3% more economical!

What would an “environmentalist” do quickly?
Yes - he multiplied it by 100k nodes (of course, one would have to take into account the difference in the size of individual farms and, consequently, in electricity consumption)…
And he eagerly shouted to the world about gigawatts of global savings… A catchy slogan.
(Although for me personally it is a fractional, insignificant power on a global scale).

No. If you want to stay at 300W then you can switch off half your drives, saving 100W. Then add a $50 GTX 1060 3GB that will use about 65W

250TB of old drives will get you a few dollars too.

BadgerStork,

but honestly…
Tell me, who will do that…?
Let’s be realistic in a world of more/faster/greedier…

If you were given a tool called compression,
after entering this league - you will use 100% of all HDDs,
and the electricity consumption… will be higher.

And if we are talking about new participants,
As we probably realize, the barrier to farm size is most often the amount we can spend on HDD.
So we have two factors influencing electron consumption - quantity of HDDs and the use/or not of compression.

2 Likes