How does one use bladebit?

Hello. I have the following configuration:

Comet Lake i7-10700 (8 cores)
Two 980 GB nVME SSDs
64 GB RAM
Ubuntu Desktop 20.04 (installed on SATA 2.5" SSD)
Latest bladebit compiled from source
A shared folder with a thin client & 100 TB HDD farm

I have been using the ‘simple config’ suggestion from bladebit -h documentation:

bladebit -t 16 -f (hash) -c (hash) diskplot --cache 55G -t1 /media/john/nVME /home/share

What are buckets in bladebit disk? Is -b the switch to specify buckets? I currently use 55 GB of 64 GB, how much cache should I use? I use all 16 logical threads of my CPU, how many threads should I use?

So far the plotting seems slower than expected. I can not find much information? Should I just experiment?

1 Like

You’ve already got a thread going relating to your problems, where you don’t answer questions people have asked whilst trying to help you, why start another one?

2 Likes

Some people talk to me about the GUI but I am using the CLI. My last thread was not specific enough and I got some non-specific answers. I believe you suggested I use the GUI but I solved my problem in the last thread by using Ubuntu Desktop and compiling from source (just the plotter), bladebit. I used the cut and paste features of Ubuntu Desktop to cut & paste my hash into a console screen along with other bladebit options. I was very careful to explain this in my last thread.

However, it turns out that bladebit is easier to use than I thought. I am monitoring this thread for insights about the use of buckets. And would like to know what they are.

Sould I be checking chia development documentation (ie programming) for info about buckets and what they do?

Fair enough.

20chrs.

Gigahorse is the Way!!!

1 Like

Yea, but I only have a Nvidia RTX 3060 not a very powerful GPU.

I have a RTX 3060-12GB card and do 3 min plots in Windows 10.

Is less than 128GB RAM even supported in Bladebit CUDA yet? I thought it was only Bladebit disc that that could plot with less at the moment (and that would be your bottleneck, Bladebit disc doesn’t use the GPU). Bucket changes offer minimal speed enhancement I hear, I only used it on a clunker box for stability tweaks but didn’t notice any speedup.

For some reason I got 79 minute plots specifying -b 128 for buckets, --cache 50 G for RAM, and -t 14 for threads. Two nVME SSDs for temp dirs. That’s my fastest so far. Last night I tried 64 for buckets and 32 G for cache all other options unchanged for 106 minutes. On defaults, or 256 buckets and 60 G for cache again all other options the same I got ~90 minutes. With those attempts I intend to stick with the 79 minute configuration going forward. Will try my Nvidia RTX 3060 and gigahorse. However overall it is difficult to take the time out of my schedule to make the switch.

1 Like