Is coin distribution fair, and is pooling the only way forward for small farmers?

How you can suppose this? If you are unlucky you wallet will be 0, after 30.000…

its Fake site, is not official… also because , how they said… I dont see my one chia on my wallet…
So just a probability game…

@vavi are correct.
When chia start the network… how much space start ploteded?
It’s make a some people rich instantly and are we just trying to follow them?
If that were honest, you would see only one official pool without charging fees, and you decide to use the pool or not.
Is this decentralized network? Why centralize pools?

I can’t suppose nothing. I said… probably. And was making a counter-argument.
No one knows what is going to happen to chia as well no one knew about ETH and BTC 10ya.

What do you mean by fake site? It’s a site that provides a calculator to estimate your profits. The chiacalculator team worked with one of the team members to make it as clear as possible.
Again, estimates and probability. Why is that so hard to understand?

The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are so many ways in which your setup can fail SILENTLY. With increased frequency of reduced rewards (via a pool) you can at least check to see if you are being rewarded appropriately. When solo mining the return is actually higher (no fees) but that is at a price of lack of certainty that your setup is solid.

When you mix this lack of pool with the current software’s very common SILENT failure modes it becomes toxic. Yes we know it will improve but right now it is very discouraging for a small setup to enter the solo mining space when they don’t even know if the software is working properly .

I have around 900 plots and zero rewards - my harvester eligibility checks are good 99% of the time (except for the odd network blip) and my “estimated time” is 9 days. The problem is that i have been “mining” for about 12 days as my plot collection has been building. I know i am within the range of “reasonable” probability but i have experienced enough SILENT failures in getting here that i am no longer confident that my setup is working completely

Going to production with a shaky setup and no pooling was, i think, premature and questionably a grab at the global crypto pump ongoing

Small miners have been the collateral damage of this prioritization as larger miners get faster feedback that they have a solid setup

2 Likes

Yes this is totally unfair, we should show them by all stoping farming NOW!!!
If you all stop I really super duper promise to also stop!!

hell no!!

after all the work and time spent, and now throw the towel would be lose what you have built.

i still believe in chia and all the potential it have :slight_smile:

now my main problem is to find more hard drives at reasonable prices. nowadays is harder to find HDD with more than 8TB.
Today was able to put my hands on 2x 14TB for 22€/TB :grimacing:

i even thought in start buying 5TB hdd’s 2.5" (20€/TB) and attach them in a 16x usb HUB, but this would be a pain in to manage, and would give me problems of space and a good mess of cables.

don’t know, how is going the hdd supply in US and the rest of the world, but in Europe we are screwed :rofl:

I understand what Vavi is saying, not sure where the confusion stems from.

The Chia team can do some things to adjust this, for example, increase the amount of wins per day reducing the amount of XCH per win. I think it is 4000 chances a day now with 2XCH, that could be 8000 with 1XCH. It should spread out among the community further then as you are adding more randomness, not less.

Another way is to only give 1XCH as a reward split by all farms that have a proof and then split the other 1XCH across all the farms that had eligibility but no proof.

There could be an argument that the current reward structure does encourage large farmers to exist and keep investing to become larger and larger as Vavi suggests. The larger they get the less random those wins will become for them.

Just because something is random doesn’t mean that it has to always favour the largest farms. As far as I am aware, Chia wants more decentralisation, if all the small farmers give up and turn off, the blockchain will become far less decentralised, so why is the reward system working against the decentralisation message?

Personally, I don’t think pooling solves this issue. We are just going to end up with a bunch of pools that are far smaller than some solo farmers, their rewards are going to be far greater and their investment will continue as Vavi states.

1 Like

You are all just waiting for pooling. It’s right around the corner and will solve all your problems. Everyone just needs to chill.

Sorry Chargr, I just modified my message, I don’t think pooling will solve this at all. In the short term maybe, but in the long term we will end up in the same situation.

Look at it this way, if money wasn’t a concern and farmer A and B had the same funds, but farmer A was winning 10 coins a day and farmer B was winning 0 coins per day.

Who is most likely to increase their net space?

This is at odds with decentralisation message.

There are a few misconceptions to point out in this thread.

– The Chia network doesn’t actually know how much space you have allocated, nor does it know what the total netspace is. This is an estimate based on how quickly blocks are being won. Because of this, there is no way to pay farmers equitably based on their contribution.

– This will change with pools. The pool operator will send challenges to all participants to verify their contributions, so they will “know” (to a high degree of certainty) how much space you’re contributing.

– The network is not shaky or premature. They have encountered exactly one small bug since launching, and it was fixed very quickly. I’m actually blown away by how well the network is running after such explosive growth.

– Finally, for everyone complaining about a lack of pools, Chia is clearly a victim of its own success. Pools were a lower priority addition because the netspace was expected to remain relatively small for the first year. This was based on the growth rate pre-mainnet. Even the experts were predicting ~2 EiB by the end of this year. The company realizes how important pools have become and are currently working hard to get them out.

1 Like

No. They can’t. Maybe you’ve come up with some good ideas, or maybe not. But it doesn’t matter. Any changes to the consensus would require a hard fork, which the company will never do.

In fact, your ideas sound something like the hard fork of Bitcoin known as Bitcoin Cash. Hard forks probably will happen in the future, but they won’t come from the Chia company.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I wasn’t aware.

1 Like

Once pools come out, this will no longer be the case. Farmer A won’t join a pool and will win 10 coins a day. Farmer B will join a pool and will win e.g. 0.01 coins per day. Both will be equally motivated to continue to plot, or not, based on their expected returns going forward.

But there’s an even more important point to make about the future of Chia, and that is Farmer C. Farmer C has some extra space sitting on a computer that he already owns. He spends exactly $0 to create a micro-farm, joins a pool, and wins e.g. 0.00001 coins per day. This tiny amount is enough to pay for his hard drive over time.

Imagine the millions of Farmer C’s who don’t know about Chia yet. They’ll be the ultimate winners because of one simple fact: They have zero cost to play the game, whereas Farmers A and B are spending money to play.

You get a reward proportional to the percentage of work you do in every single cryptocurrency. What exactly do you have an issue with?

We will have to see, its hard to really get the information from Chia Explorer, but it really depends on how many people go into pooling. If the pools are too small then they will never win, so there will not be 0.0000X per day, it will be nothing for a month, then maybe a few cents.

1 Like

Yes, this is true. Pools do need to be a certain size to make sense. Especially if they plan to pay out every day. So there simply won’t be a market for thousands of pools. But once a pool is sufficiently large to be consistently winning rewards, it will meet the minimal viable size and will need to maintain its percentage to remain viable.

1 Like

I don’t have any issues buddy.

I am just pointing out that this explosive growth we have seen may not make logical sense for people with a certain TB to farm. Pools do help, but I am not sure for how long.

Just being realistic, it seems to be growing much faster than anyone anticipated and as such, questions will be asked about the viability that small farmers will play in the future.

The difference will be even small farmers can earn over time because the energy needed to mine/farm is so low. It’s extremely passive income.

1 Like