Is Filling hard drive to maximum 99.9% is a terrible idea

Yes I fill my drives to over 99.9%, but I have a good understanding of what I’m doing! I’ve also been caught out with a disk running out of space, but that was an OS drive in a virtual machine (VM) with multiple Chia forks running, and all the space was gradually used up by the database’s and other Windows junk which collects overtime - no plots on that drive!

As for my dedicated Chia drives:

My drive with the least free space , a 14TB drive with a formatted capacity as reported by windows of 13038.67GB, free space remaining is 674MB, which is 0.005169159597425909% left

My drive with the most free space (an 18TB), formatted capacity as reported by windows is 16763.97GB, free space remaining is 5.19GB, which is 0.03095925368514933% left

I have 19 drives that range between the two above values, so that’s 19 drives with less than 0.04% free space, so 99.96% used.

I have two other disks used to form a pool, a bit like a JBOD but far more advanced, this also has some plots on, but also all our TV is recorded to this pool, pictures general data etc. Total capacity of the two drives is 31665.84GB, free space is 791GB, just 2% roughly.

If you’re having issues, its probably down to your lack of understanding, or completely unrelated to what you think it is, so many people have said you are wrong, one day you need to accept that you are and perhaps explain whats happening to your system, and you may if you haven’t already burned all your bridges (google that saying) get some help.

3 Likes

You write that you did not read my comment, due to the length of my comment.
And your next sentence is you telling me to read a book.

Do you see how absurd your comments are?

In my comment that you claim that you did not read, I provided the name of the book that I read, after you initially told me to read a book.

And rather than supporting your claims, you thrown in the towel with “TLDR get a life”.

Again, we agree, that that is all you know.

I doubt it.
But since you did not specify how you are performing your formatting, we can only guess at what you are doing.

Again, we agree.

Yes, to some degree. As it relates to storing plots on mechanical drives, you are wrong.

When you do write valid comments, they have no relationship to storing plots on mechanical drives.

I did not write that.
Your attempt at generalizing what I wrote, in order to have it mean more than what it specifically means, is you trying to obfuscate the dialog.

For the purpose of storing plots on mechanical drives, such that those plots will be read fast enough to provide timely proofs, then you should do so.

And your use of the adverb “seriously” is an attempt to discredit the answer to your question.
In other words, you are not interested in the answer. If you were, you would have asked your question without the flippant “seriously”.

Tell us more on why journaling is important for storing plots on mechanical drives.

How are you recording TV to your drives?

I have Comcast, and I am forced to record onto their DVR.
If I want more space, I have to rent a second DVR.

Comcast offers no way (that I can find) to record shows to your own personal storage.
Their DVR has USB ports, which are disabled. They designed their DVR with software to disallow customers from saving shows to their own drives.

And Comcast is the only option I have for internet services and for television services.

Please let me know how you are able to record to your drives. It might help me figure out a way to do the same.

I’m in the UK, so we do have more options, both with TV and broadband, you must have satellite TV and perhaps freeview though? If I was to get Sky TV, or Virgin Media TV (Liberty Global) I’d have to use their boxes.

I was originally using a quad satellite TV tuner in my server, but then I needed the PCIe slots for Chia related stuff, I also had issues with the TV guide on satellite. So I purchased a HD Home Run quad freeview (via a TV aerial) tuner, although we have been having reception issues, also if I kick off a big transfer (Chia plots!) across the network it bizarrely effects the recordings/live TV. I use Mediaportal as the front end.

1 Like

Today, I have mostly been eating Bourbon biscuits.

2 Likes

You could setup a webcam and point it to the TV :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

674mb… sketch bru
dont fall off the edge…

5gb per disk keeps the dr away i say…

but good sir…
you have left out one key detail
may i ask
how to do test your drives?
or are u just looking at smart data?
specifically for that 674mb drive?

what ive found is the drive will report as healthy as a clam. than the moment you start peeking at files… moving stuff around… ect…
thats when the failure of overcapacity happens and the disk is rendered useless

i will say i only use enterprise sas drives in my servers.
also, i run only a linux shell, headless vm. and am passing through the disks.
im formating XFS with just a few flags with no partitions.
when i put a 4tb disk in im getting every last bit of that 4tb… not just 3.7t as windows will report the drive

my apples dont match your watermelons

if ur feeling sillyy tho. id run some tests on that super full drive just to see
(not crystal disk mark type of test)
a real drive check.
maybe windows chkdisk would report errors. with a -v lol in linux

but whats common in windows, it lies to you. often… for your own good usually

windows handles most headaches with-out ever bothering the user
ill bet it reserves secret disk space without ever saying a thing

linux on the other hand does not lie… and will allow u to brik the whole system
literally just by mounting a drive wrong in the fstab

i am currently moving to windows as we speek
with all my chia money iv built a proper rig. much more fuel efficient than my 3 servers

thanks for the actual reply and input other than stupidity.

im glad there are people willing to see… ill happily be proved wrong. as long as i get to learn something in the process.

Tell us more on why journaling is important for storing plots on mechanical drives

are u now suggesting logging is not important, in reguards to plots?

look you seem like a smart guy… no offense, but you have 0 decrement…
and thats just extremely dangerous in a place like this…

your aware half the accounts of people on here are bots…
or other users trying to manipulate large farms,
spreading miss information and ganging up on people…

its painfully obviouse
i just dont think u see it.

because ur not engaging in conversation… even while quoting me.
your just being dismissive and closed minded all because a couple of peiople on here say im bs…
for no other reason. ur just following along.
not testing… not looking at ur disks. not researching
just being a smart ass

when u woke up today did u say hey i wana learn somthing today…

or was it…

drjones is so lame psh i know everything cause my guys(bots) on the forum say i do
i dont even feel like learning, just following

are you quoting me bcasue if u dont youle just loose your place and not have anything important to actually say?

:rofl:
u killed me.
for the record tho
first names indiana tho.

dr.indiana jones Sr.

– What is moving around? The plot files have legs that work behind the scenes?
– There is no overcapacity. You just made that up. Drives that store plots can be filled to the last byte, and will function within Chia’s specifications. Filling the drives, to the last byte, with plots, has no bearing on drive health issues. If the drive fails, it has zero to do with squeezing in plots.

I am using a PC that I purchased in 2006. It is a first generation i7.
I have never tested the drives, using testing software. Why?

My PC runs smoothly and works with zero issues. That is using real life for the test.
Fifteen years of daily use is the test.

The same goes with Chia storage. Chia is reading the plots and responding to challenges. The drives are working.

Since you are sure that your plotting drives have repeatedly failed, due to using all of the drive’s capacity, then let us know who your engaged with the manufacturer to report their glaring design flaw.

Surely you would want the accolades for catching what their expert engineers have all been missing for decades.

And let us know what they told you when you reported that your plot files move around on their own.

All irrelevant to storing plots on mechanical drives.

You should be the happiest person on this forum.

I did not write that, and you know I did not write that.

You, not me, wrote that journaling will be affected by filling all of the space on mechanical drives.
Tell us what purpose journaling has for writing files, once, to a drive, and only reading those files, thereafter.

Please name someone that has “decrement”. Anyone.

Don’t tell me. Tell Seagate and Western Digitial.
Tell them that Seymour Krelborn and bots on chiaforum.com are spreading misinformation that affects hard drive health due to using all of the available storage capacity. Let us know what they say.

I cannot think of a way to be more engaging, and you write that I am not being engaging.
Is “up” “down”? Is “left” “right”. Is this an un-aired script from Rod Serling?

I am being factual.
What I have been writing in this thread has nothing to do with anything that anyone else has written.

My Chia processing, XCH count, smooth functioning computers and drives, are my testing.

Not researching?
I do not need to research your BS.
You provided 4 or 5 links that you assert supports your claims.
None of the articles from those links had anything to do with this subject.

If you cannot find articles to support your claims, then do not expect others to go wandering around the internet searching for ghosts.

Name calling is what people who spew BS do, when they are caught spewing BS.

I want to learn, and I want others to learn, which is why I am adamant at exposing your BS (so that others will not be taken in by your BS).

I challenge only your BS. Not your comments that are correct or pose no risk to people looking to learn.

You wrote what you wrote. You own what you wrote.
Quoting keeps the discussion orderly.

Please tell us how journaling matters to storing plots on mechanical drives.

urrr soooo0o0o0o cklever
everything u say is s0s0o0s0oOOO funnay
tldr
hope that hurts

the last senta nc e i did read…

but no… ur right… totallhy not important… infact everyone should desable it right now

You have no desire to have a civil discussion.
You admit to wanting to offend.

You spread BS, you engage in name calling, and you openly admit to wanting to hurt others.
Not good.

For clarity, you are recommending that everyone disable journaling right now.

Please explain why you made that recommendation?

Also, please tell us how jounaling matters to storing plots on mechanical drives?

More gibberish, I’ve already stated in this thread what software I use for monitoring, I suggest you re-read the thread.

I’ll carry on doing what works for me, you carry on doing what’s not working for you, you seem to know best :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t ask about monitoring

I asked about how u test your disks.

You the one not reading

Well if you was able to read and digest what I’ve previously stated you’d realise that the software that I use to monitor the disks, also tests the disks. Come on, really your supposed to know everything.

PS. I will not be following any of your suggestions or advice, as it’s all confused nonsense, and I’m pretty sure your just someone who’s bored with nothing better to do than try and wind up people on a forum :laughing:

2 Likes

what’s it hurt to try, u seem scared. that I might be right… so u wont test.

thats coo

this magical do it all software. what’s the backend look like is what. im saying… I bet it doesn’t check nothin.

I literally can’t find where u actually mention the name of the software you use…

I claim that a pound of bricks weighs more than a pound of feathers.

@jonesjr, if you do not believe me, then try weighing them both.

To quote the person that knows insists that he knows more than the rest of us:

It will be a good use of your time. You want to learn – right?
So do the test, because I wrote that you should do the test.

The criteria, according to you, is that because I am insisting that you do the test, then that means that you should do the test. It makes no difference whether you know that the test is a compete waste of time. I am insisting that you do the test, so you should do the test.

Weigh a pound of bricks and a pound of feathers. Or are you scared?