Is there any reason to continue Chia?

Hardware requirements

For running an Aptos validator node and validator fullnode we recommend the following hardware resources:

• CPU:
    • 8 cores, 16 threads
    • 2.8GHz, or faster
    • Intel Xeon Skylake or newer
  • Memory: 32GB RAM.
  • Storage: 2T SSD with at least 40K IOPS and 200MiB/s bandwidth.
  • Networking bandwidth: 1Gbps

Source: Node Requirements | Aptos Docs

It’s appear’s that It’s not necessary half a datacenter.

That is the bare minimum for a node alone. First, I’m sure they aren’t just running that. It is much much more to provide redundancy and throughput. Now take into account the staking process and the exchange that runs it. It will be way more than you think.

2 Likes

Decentralization as being a selling point? That’s like farting into the wind. It hasn’t helped Chia thrive and it’s not a selling point except for Chia themselves. You can’t use a selling point if the buyer doesn’t give a S about it. I find it rather weak if that’s the best Chia has to offer. The real question is, which was already raised, is in reality, how many nodes are actually needed for what Chia requires currently. I think we would find that it’s beyond bloated. Thanks of course to the opening flurry of insanity. The node count isn’t some feather in the cap. It’s more a reflection of hangers on. Wishful thinkers. Those in so deep that have to hold onto the dream. Waiting for another BTC moment. It’s odd that people want to believe that their hardware will last for infinity. The belief that selling hardware now is going to fetch less money in the long run. Whelp, here is where we circle back to whether Chia is actually at a “real” $30 or maybe it isn’t. The basis for a smart business decision in my estimation.

1 Like

Lol, your starting to sound like another member here.
Repeating rubbish and failing to provide solid reasoning or proof to back it up.

And again also repeating about selling drives…

It isn’t real - trust me - Chia’s XCH is only worth 10-20$ Max. Please pick the ‘real’ value from that range or less, forward all you have to my address (PM me) and I’ll pay you. Please do it right to confirm current price comes only from the matrix and isn’t real. Deal?

2 Likes

:rofl:

yall just so funny.
chias price is really very high

things that are rare demand a high price
privatle

like a rare artifact,
its a seemingly low price for the item itself (being the coin itself)

the real value lies with the people who carry the coins
and poeple after the coins

i wouldn’t sell a chia for 5k
chia is staying under valued on purpose.

in crypto markets its frequent a low value coin will just jump %250

when the price becomes staggering over night. and your crying cause u sold all your chia at 35$

people need to stop looking at chias current price. it is meant to be low… dealing with a crypto crash…
but im certain this coin will outlast every single faker poser coin out there.

in my eyes chias worth a fortune.

2 Likes

They didn’t call it the gold rush for no reason. People always want to believe. The Chia gold rush? People want this to be a BTC moment again. Might happen. Could happen. To further the actual value of Chia today? When the crypto has dumped, ask yourself why, in each of these instances, the ranking of Chia skyrockets. Each and every time this is the case. I thought it was profound initially. Then I started realizing, this is vested interest at play. It’s not natural. Chia refused to drop like the rest. Please state for what reason (aside from a group effort) that Chia remains at $30 no matter what when everything else around it is tanking. What Chia feature is causing this? Where is the social media pronouncing Chia as the next greatest thing? No spike, just steady like a rock. Won’t budge. This is on point with is there any reason to continue Chia. You would have to believe there are reasons it has remained at $30 and climbs in the rankings big time. It rises because oddly enough, the trend for everyone (except for Chia) is downwards. So do tell. Give a logical explanation. I’m waiting to hear from those helping keep it at $30 over this crazy bear market. Convince me it’s not fake. What is the one selling point that keeps it so? Or is it self-interest at play? (and seriously, this is about the only active thread on the forum which in of itself, speaks to a sad state of affairs)

When I read what you say, it could make sense. But then…

Who or what (and where) is this mysterious deep pocketed entity that is willing to support a blockchain on supposed life support? Don’t “they” get tired, lose interest, or simply run out of money at some point? It’s a far cry from peak price, but it has been steadier as of late.

And how do they accomplish what we see as the amount of XCH exchanged? It’s considerable money after all.

Could the Chia, Inc. koolaid be true and XCH is already being used (and supported by) productive application? That it is not similar to ‘other’ cryptos. So it takes a different price path that we see?

So it could make sense, but to actually make sense … “those people” need to contact us straight away! Hello?..hello?

1 Like

Lol, theres an entity / entities buying the dip and with huge sell walls just over 30 $.

No great mystery, just traders trading , other whales seeing this and joining in rather than trying to out do the others.

Not a hard concept to grasp .

1 Like

Buying the dip? What dip? Please point out other crypto following a similar “non” trajectory right now during this bear of all bears. I think “just traders trading” is a fallacy. If anyone can point out another alt coin that climbs by leaps and bounds in rankings when the market is crashing, I’m all ears. I shouldn’t be surprised about wishful thinking. I don’t think anyone can claim to understand it, other than it’s odd. Not business as usual in my books. I do know a shot at an IPO might depend where the value is. So I get that angle why maintaining a certain value makes sense. As opposed to “just traders trading”. I’m not trying to disparage Chia as a project. I’m certainly willing to look at comparisons to other coins that are sharing this same anomaly.

1 Like

The ones beneath the sell walls.

No, its not necessary for me to be correct.
Wheres your proof, oh, thats right, you have none either.

Any coin that has walls below a certain price and above trapping the price in a set region will do as its not dropping like most others.
Its a traders wet dream, trapping a mkt. And chia clearly has some big whales.

Its not that long ago those whales were selling coins for hundreds each, of course they have deep pockets to buy endlessly, especially when theyre then reselling them pretty fast if ppl will pay a small % more. ( the sell walls ).

The Chia feature causing this is what most people have been claiming is a huge downfall to the coin. The lack of exchanges to actually buy and sell the coin. The cause of the latest couple of crypto market crashes is not the coins themselves but the exchanges that they are on. The doubt in the stability of exchanges is what is causing people to liquidate their positions and cash out causing major fluctuations in the coins on those (and all) exchanges. The fact that Chia is not listed as widely insulates it from a lot of those effects.

There, I have given you a logical, real world explanation of what is going on. Now … your turn.

3 Likes

While technology are alowed to run free it is safe to bet on the next technology, if u think they will take controll u can take ur money to the next donation box and earn a freebe

Hi Chia family! I hope you all had a great Christmas :slight_smile: To be fair, many of us viewed CHia as a 3-5 year plan and not even look at it, except when there are plentiful issues. I bought on the open market to get my equity at the same amount I bought for my rig. So my XCH equals what I paid for my rig. Now I let the rig continue on its journey.

With so many Macro and Micro events going on in the world, Chia has been held back. It is straightforward to see. Going public was put on pause as well. We need a better Macro/Microenvironment. I still feel that my 3-5 year plan will work out just fine. The utility behind Chia is gold and what they have planned falls into the hands of the regulators so IMHO it puts XCH in a great place.

Have a great week! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

All the best Larry, hope you are well.

My 3 year plan has morphed into a 5 year plan but I am still confident in the long term success of CNI.

4 Likes

Idk man as far as risk management this would make you more exposed since it’s very possible and likely that chia will lose value at a faster rate than the depreciation of the hard drives. I think what we need to be doing is looking at other potential ways to earn passive income with the storage.

4 Likes

How familliar you with crypto?

Idk if I should post this hear since it’s relabent to the discussion or make it it’s own discussion and I apologize in advance I didn’t anticipate making it this drawn out when I started but it’s something I’ve been looking to see discussed and covered in the chia forums and subreddit or wherever else and I haven’t really seen it yet.

When taking about alternatives or better ways to utilize the hardware or what to do with the hardware, Why is nobody talking about filecoin? From what I see it seems to be the most profitable opportunity in crypto mining anywhere right now unless I’m missing something.

I’ve researched it a few times and always plan to schedule a meeting with someone at filecoin to further discuss but haven’t done it yet but I really should. each time I look into it when I have some free time and think about it it just seems like a no brainer for anyone with a large chia farming rig to switch up and utilize that storage for filecoin mining since it’s insanely profitable compared to chia. But since I see nobody talking about it I start thinking I must be something I’m missing or not seeing or it would be a popular topic and wouldn’t be impossible to find more info or discussions about people switching from chia to filecoin. I get to thinking it’s too good to be true and dismiss it but then something happens and I end up back researching it again and wondering how much I could be earning with this same hardware.

I know there’s barriers to entry, but those of us with serious hardware that we made huge investments in for chia mining already have the most expensive aspects covered. The way I see it, hardware wise at lest, to sucessfully setup a filecoin mining rig, you’re basically just connecting all the storage currently connected to a low power farming rig of some sort and connecting it all to your best plotting rig be that a high end desktop or a server either will most likely work if it was previously used to efficiently plot chia since that means you have a lot of cpu power and ram so you can also assume it’s a high end motherboard with solid networking and security and wte else filecoin would require.

Since with filecoin you’re earning by storing files for other people to access remotely as needed, you obviously need the computing power and network bandwidth for numerous people to be able to access large files simuktaneasly through your network connection.

I believe you also need 128gb minimum of ram which most of us have already anyway.

Since you’re storing data for other people security becomes a factor so this means I’m sure hardware security like tpm 2.0 which most people have already especially if you’re running windows 11 since it’s required. You’d have to have a good antivirus program with a good correcly configured firewall. Having a high end router is also beneficial I’m sure. I know my asus axe16000 which I think is still currently the best consumer grade router on the market has tons of security features. From my understand nothing more than this would be required as far as security it’s not like you’d have to spend thousands on commercial networking equipment and setting up a sonic wall like they require for businesses accepting credit card payments in person through their network.

Assuming you’re already a larger scale chia miner you probably already have all these requirements met. The first thing that comes to mind for me that might be an issue is network connection speeds and reliability available where you’re located. For me the only fast internet available comes from spectrum which is okay I can get up to 1000mbps down affordably but the upload speed are shit and there’s nothing you can do about it. I think the last speed test I got I was getting like 320mbps down and 15mbps up which meets their advertised speeds for the package I have so there’s no way to improve that. I have the best modem you can buy and the best residential router you can buy, with a desktop with dual 10gbps networking ports connected to 10gbps ports on the router but there’s no way to get more upload bandwidth than what they provide where I am located. Even if I bump up to the 1000mbps package you still only get like 50mpbs up which just seems like it would be an issue with filecoin. The only possible solution I can think of would be to add 5g residential from Verizon which I can add to my Verizon wireless account for pretty cheap. Doing this I can add an additional modem to my network which can either connect to the usb 3.0 port or one of the 10gbps or 2.5gbps ports on my router and will combine the bandwidth. Doing this I believe would give me enough upload bandwidth to be acceptable to filecoin and also would increase network reliability since if one of those providers went out for a period, the other would still be connected so people would not lose access to their data that I’m storing.

The other aspect to think about is the power grid. Depending on where you live it might only take a basic UPS battery backup that could keep your system running for an hour or two to be covered if your grid ion your area is really realizable and you don’t have worrry about winter weather where you are. I know where I am we have winter storms and there are times where I lose power for up to 8 hours when there is a serious accident or just a bad storm with a lot of small downed branches that take time to clean up. Occassionally power can go out for days but this has only happened a couple times in the last 20 years or whatever. But regardless if I were to repurpose my equipment to filecoin I have to be able to guarantee them that I will not ever lose power and make their customers unable to access important data. So this means either adding an instant on generator connected to the main panel and my homes natural gas, or a large lithium power storage unit either connected to the ups that my equipment is connected to, or adding a large inverter that the lithium power storage bank connects to that would tie into my main panel and keep my whole house powered for as long as would ever be needed for a power outage. This is probably the way I would go since I have the batteries already and diy power storage is something I’ve been into for a while and have been working on getting the needed inverter to have essentially the same as a Tesla wall connected so I will have more than enough power stored for even the longest power outages ever in my region. The cheapes solution would be to just use a ups and DIY connect a bunch more lithium power storage to it to allow it to provide days of power if ever needed vs only an hour or less which is what mine provides as is. The ups would have to have eneough power stored to power the server/desktop the storage is connected to, the modems, router, and network switch, and whatever powers the hard drives and connection method which for me is 12v power supplies powering all the HDDs which each has its own pcb, and the usb 3.1gen2 hubs that connect them all to my farming desktop now which is how I would connect them to the desktop or server I use with the hardware needed for filecoin if I were to attempt to make the switch.

I guess the speed the data needs to be able to be acccessed might be more intensive with filecoin so the connection method I currently use might need to be changed but I am pretty sure I could still keep using this method for connecting them since the desktop they will connect to if I use current hardware I have is a really high power system I use simultaneously plotting and using for business and other purposes. It has plenty of 20gbps usb ports. with 13 drives to a hub connected to 20gbps usb c 3.1gen2 ports, the bandwidth making it to each usb A 3.0 output that the hard drive pcb’s connect to is still more than enough to support the maxmum read speeds of the hard drives. If it was an issue it really wouldn’t cost that much to change up and utilize all the pcie slots with cards that each add 15-20 SATA ports or wte the max is that you can connect to each pcie 4.0x16 slot and still get full SATA rates. Plus when you’re storing for filecoin you can earn a lot more and have different opportunities to get higher rates. If you can provide faster access to the storage you get preferred or premium customers of some sort from my understanding who pay more for the storage service so then we would earn a higher rate per Tb of storage for being able to facilitate this. So maybe just upgrading to an actual server and providing the fastest possible connection we can is the best way to utilize the storage. If the rate is significantly higher for providing faster service it would be a really fast ROI and would defiantly justify the cost to upgrade if you have a lot of storage and can earn way more per Tb after upgrading. It probably wouldn’t be worth it and would be a super long time to get a return on the investment of setting up a high end server if you don’t already have a lot of storage to utilize for this.

With filecoin you are taking on a responsibility to keep peoples data secured and making sure they always have access to it so all these things have to be considered and they will always check and monitor and from my understanding you can definitely get yourself into trouble if you are negligent and have security breaches or other issues. There are governmental regulatory agencies involved when you’re dealing with storing data for individuals and/or businesses because of security requirements. But if you set things up right and verify with filecoin and everyting is good, I don’t see where there would really be any big expenses or anything that would cut into potential profits long term to secure the data correctly and not have any issues.

So if we can utilize this hardware we already have to earn exponentially more return on investment why not? It might take a minor investment some time and energy to go through filecoins required training and consulting with them to get up to speed before you can start, and probably some minor hardware expenses to make modifications or upgrades to networking and security to be compliant, but I don’t see how this would this not be the best possible option when talking about chia alternatives or what to do with the hardware and should at least be a conversation going on for people looking at chia long term and thinking about what to do with the huge equipment investments we’ve made. Long term it’s not like chia prices are going way up and we’re going to get rich off this. The people that got rich off it are the ones that were in with the developers from the beginning and cashed out huge when XCH first started trading. They will make out good when they unload the whole thing too which I’m sure they have planned. Chia isn’t used for anything it has no purpose so thinking it’s going to go anywhere is just being delusional. It’s like DOGE yeah it got a lot of attention and people made money off it but long term it’s never going to go way up or anything it has no value people aren’t using it for transactions or anything on a large scale like bitcoin has been used since it was created and it serves no other purpose. At least with filecoin you are invested in crypto mining yes, but you’re also providing a valuable service in a high deman and rapidly growing industry which is cloud computing and storage-especially decentralized cloud storage like this. I don’t see filecoin going anywhere and I see it’s value continuing to grow over the long run and you can earn exponentially more with the same amount of storage when compared to chia. I honestly don’t know exactly how much but if the numbers I looked at while reading through all the info about getting started with filecoin are any indication and are even somewhat accurate, it looked to me like you would be earning 20 times as much or more per Tb of storage with filecoin.

I was heavily invested in GPU mining when it was worth doing before and have been in chia since the beginning but from everything I have read it seems like not only is filecoin a more profitable use of a ton of storage and other hardware, it seems like the most profitable crypto mining opportunity there is now unless you have millions to invest in ASICS and solar power to really do things right and mine Bitcoin as a legitimate long term investment and income source. There’s nothing else I see worth doing. XCH yeah if you have massive amounts of storage filled with plots yeah you can be earning decent money now and maybe have broken even from your initial investment now but long term who really thinks chia is ever going to go way back up in value or that we will see any other significant enough change to make it really profitable and see a big payday besides the day we sell all the hardware if we take that route. None of the other similar coins seem like they are any better of an option. GPU mining is nowhere near worth doing now IMO even if you had free power it’s still not worth it you’re barely earning enough to account for hardware wear and tear. Filecoin though I really think there’s a lot of money to be made. The initial investment would be massive but for us we have most of what’s needed so it just seems logical.

I guess one big aspect I didn’t discuss is the staking requirement to be able to mine filecoin. That could be a barrier to entry for some also and there’s so many different factors and extra complexity involved with filecoin that I don’t even really fully understand for sure how much I would need to stake to utilize all the storage I have for this but if the earnings are as high as the calculations I’ve seen claim and the long term projected outlook for filecoin is good, I know I would definitely get the neeeded funds to meet the staking requirements. Plus filecoin has programs to help you get financing to get started for those who are qualified.

Another part I don’t fully understand is there are 2 different types of filecoin miners that make the network work but it seems like if you’re a storage miner and you also have the networking and hardware required to provide fast access to the storage with you’re own hardware, you could do both you wouldn’t have to only be a storage miner. I could be wrong about this but that’s what I’ve gotten from my own research. There is going to be a third type also involving repair so that will open up even more opportunities.-

“Three categories of FIL miners may be distinguished (although one group has not yet entered service):

Storage Miners
These Filecoin miners store customer data as storage providers. The amount of storage they produce directly relates to how much money they make. This also requires large storage data.
Retrieval Miners
Servers (also known as retrieval miners) acquire Filecoin by charging a fee for their services. Their pay is based on how quickly and nearby they can provide service.
Repair Miners
Repair miners are yet to be used in Filecoin mining, but their purpose is to step in when an unstable miner is present.”

I’m interested to hear from any other chia miners who have either gotten involved and are doing filecoin already or are looking at this as a more lucrative utilization of the hardware we’ve alreasy invested in. There has to be others who are looking into this is just seems like people who have been doing the chia thing since the beginning and have essentially the same needed equipment and the willingness to invest long term and take some risk is the most logical community where there would be a discussion about this and people who have already started filecoin or want to and id love to talk to some people who are doing this and know more about it since there’s a lot of factors and maybe there’s something big I’m missing that makes this not as good as it seems or that creates a barrier to entry to high for us to make the switch without a ton of capital.

2 Likes

No, it sounds like you’ve done your research, I have nothing to add on Filecoin that you haven’t hit on. I started researching until the requirements sunk in - the equipment, connection (my crumby xfinity line stutters after 6pm when the neighbors all get on netflix at the same time), and seriousness of the project (consultations, etc) told me I’m not the market for this. One of our own https://www.youtube.com/@CustomComputing/videos started down that journey, and had a couple hour stream for the drive out to pick up the server (appears to be taken down unless I’m just missing it), I’m still hoping for a new video with an update at some point once it’s up and running.

Last I heard, with all of these distributed storage projects, there is way too much storage and not enough customers for anyone to make money. Sia, Storj, and that blockchain internet project that the name escapes me (7 years in vaporware) just aren’t sticking the landing long term.

Good luck to you if you go for it though, the project sounds interesting.

I recently spent 4500 usd to enlarge my farm. if i bought xch with this money, i would buy 148 xch. now i have a bunch of shit :slight_smile: i don’t know why i made this stupid decision.
It was the thought that I would probably sell the hdds for good money in the crypto spring.

3 Likes