Mining CHIA. Was this worth it. I think that this might have been a massive mistake

Helium seems like a scam to me. I know people who have been waiting 4 months for their equipment to come in and nothing. I think they exit scammed.

1. Most of what I got was from last month.

Could be, thatā€™s why we split 6 devices between the three of us to divide the initial investment risk - when/if the devices get here we will try it in partnership to see if it even really works at allā€¦but you are right, as much as all the other crypto seem, helium is also dubiousā€¦I am with you 100%ā€¦

They canā€™t keep up with demand for their routers. They are all purpose built with a helium signature inside.

Then again, Helium was created by the guy who invented Napster. :wink:

1 Like

All these guys who couldnā€™t capitalise on their initial ideas are coming back with crypto pyramidsā€¦lolā€¦

But every one of those multiple keys would be locked in itā€™s own max variable plotting cap. Letā€™s say after putting in the time he earned a max plotting size of 100TB each.

Thatā€™s multiple farmers each farming at:
100TB
100TB
100TB
100TB
100TB

His odds are about the same as anyone in the lotto. Itā€™s just that he bought 5 tickets.

He canā€™t farm as one large 500TB.

Edit: forgot to add quote

Sorry Iā€™m not understanding your point. If farmer A has 1 farm of 500 TB and farmer B has 5 farms of 100 TB each, how would A have an advantage over B, other than the small cost of buying the extra nodes?

Or are you making a different point that Iā€™m not seeing?

Another way to look it. If we had a 100 new signups farming with only 5Tib. Do you think any of them would win? Thatā€™s 500Tib after all.
Edit: typo

(Assuming you meant TiB) The probability of 100 x 5 TiB farms winning is identical to that of 1 x 500 TiB. Total size is all that matters here.

Chia is Sybil resistant, i.e. there is no advantage to having many small farms vs one big one.

Hello, I am in a similar situation, I await the official pools, then I evaluate the average economic return / income or sale of all the HW.

If its just making money then do something else, like a day job? If itā€™s wanting to get some chia and hold it to see if it goes up a lot - buy some. What Iā€™m doing is joining the project because I like the idea, trying to mine some chia, learning about and using new equipment and techniques, and engaging with the community. Itā€™s a hobby and the equipment and education retain their value even if the Chia doesnā€™t materialise or rise in value much.

2 Likes

I harvests around 4tb a day, and currently have 1600+ plots, some days the network out grows me and somedays i out grow it. However regardless of the average i still cant get ahead of the growth. At some point i will either run out of storage space or run out of patience with the project. When i started this adventure i was under the impression, sure the network was going to grow continuously but if i got out in front of it, for sometime i would have some income to offset the costs. this income would continue to reduce as the network grew if i had stopped harvesting and just farmed. that was all something i excepted.

What i have learned is this ā€œharvestingā€ process can NEVER stop if you hope to ever get an ROI. this isnt a farming only coin. some simple math on how Fā€™d up my return on investment is. 12 pcie flash drives 1k, nvme drives 1k, storage servers 2k, storage drives 4k total around 8k invested. current ROI ZERO. even if i get lucky today, and every month after i will take me almost 2 years with network growth to make my money back at current price.

Love the concept of Chia coin but sure feels like its a failure for me, guess i got alot of storage space in my future available.

Some sort of backup to use the storage for is my plan B. The issue I have is a crap internet connection where my servers are so I am not going to be selling cloud storage space to anyone anytime soon. Something else like filecoin (but less bandwidth required) might be possible.

First at all - ROI ZERO for You means You have already earned 8K$. Your ROI is -100% I guess now.

Second at all - with 160 TiBs you are able to mine hmm - from 15 to 30 Chia for the next 3 years. Considering todayā€™s price: You will earn from 9,75 to 19,5K USD. Consider 10 times higher price (which is actually more than probable in the next 3 years), it will be from 100K$ to 195K$. What is wrong with You bro?

I have been plotting farming 9 weeks, have 1000+ plots and 0 chia. I really feel stupid entering into this.

I really wish your math was correct but reality is, with 1600 plots i will only hit a coin (x2) if im super lucky only once every couple of months, as the network grows and assuming i stopped creating plots that reward will continue to drop, 4 months, 8 months etc. if i follow that logic it will take me around 3 years to get the 8k back and more to make a profit.

Your math, although it sounds fantastic is not realistic and no one should think that 8k investment will net me 195k in 3 years, thats not logic. At this point ill be happy to break even!

for clarification, my current ROI is ZERO, i have earned no chia. if i earn 8k in chia, my ROI is only 1.

I was very exited with Chia and the community at the beginning.

Buying some new hardware, customising my linux, and so onā€¦ everything looked great when difficulty was 19 and the network was just a few hundreds of TB.

Since then, HDD prices sky rocket, the chia net growth the same, as well as the difficulty. This is not fun any more, and as I was not lucky enough to gain a single XCH and I will not pay this ridiculous prices for any HDD I started feeling that this was all a big mistake as well.

I did stopped plotting, and Iā€™ll give another 6 months to luck, but if in 6 months Iā€™ve got nothing then Iā€™ll say bye bye to Chia.

I think that (sadly) is better selling everything and spending the money on buying XCH then mining

1 Like

yep sell your hdd, buy WD stock, you are probably more lucky than solo mining chia

2 Likes

the price of xch is falling this is another nail in the coffin for me getting less and less reward in hpool, returned 4 hhdā€™s still boxed couldnā€™t bother selling them for a higher price

2 Likes

Yeah, some friends of mine are doing the same already