Need harvester tips - Chia - 1 Pib goal

The unit came out before the 18tb disks did, It has a USB 3.0 connector that is plugged into my harvester here. it even says in the description

• Support All Brands Of 2.5 Inch And 3.5 Inch Sata Hard Disk Drive Up To 18Tb Per Drive. (Does Not Support Raid And Nas Function)
  • Smart Fan Function With Built-In Thermal Sensor Support Auto & Manual Mode With 3 Level Of Fan Speed
  • Super Speed Usb3.0 5Gbps Connection Transfer Your Files In A Breeze. Supports Sata I/Ii/Iii(6Gb/S), Uasp And Usb 3.0(5Gb/S)
  • Independent Control Switch For Each Drive Allows Drives To Be Powered Off Individually. Dissipates Heat Efficiently With Steel Housing & Quiet Fan

Yes, it has a USB connector.
The description reads ā€œConnectivity Technology USB, SATAā€

Is there a SATA port?

I am out of USB ports on my two computers.
So if there is no SATA port on the enclosure, I need to factor that in. Please let me know whether or not there is a SATA port on the box.

Yes in the box thatā€™s what connects to the drive.

Amazon.com: atolla Powered USB 3.0 Hub, 7 Ports USB Data Hub Splitter Plus 1 Smart Charging Port USB Extension Including Individual Switches and 5V/4A Power Adapter : Electronics

Amazonā€™s description accounts for the connection type for the drives within the box.

Their listing reads: ā€œHard Disk Interface Serial ATA-600ā€

I am asking about the port that connects from the box to your computer.
There is a USB port. Is there also a SATA port?

Only USB like the docs say. You can free up some USB port on your computer with one of these hubs.

1 Like

Thanks.

I did not trust the docs, because their listing states differently:
Connectivity Technology USB, SATA

There saying correctly USB to Sata (sata is the hard disk connection)

I missed out on one of these boxes was $190.00 on ebay (new) and when I got home somebody snatched it up, I was in traffice and just a notification and couldnā€™t pull over.

The listing breaks that out separately:
Hard Disk Interface Serial ATA-600

The listing then goes on and reads:
Connectivity Technology USB, SATA

So between the two line items, the first being for the connection between the drives and the Syba box, and the second specifying USB (which we know is to the computer), it was not clear of their use of ā€œUSB, SATAā€ meant that SATA was also an option for connection to the computer.

Next time, do not pull over. Stop in the middle of the road.

1 Like

Looks nothing more than an USB hub with 8x USB-SATA disk docks in a chasis - looks neat but costly. Ideal for a living room alcove install I guess if looks are important.

It will be tucked away, out of sight. Looks for my purposes are not important.

I have poked around looking for 8-bay (or larger) enclosures, and found nothing less expensive.

Why did you write that it is costly?
I am seeking recommendations for alternative enclosures.

Simply because I think it is for what it is, unless looks are important.

Stack 8x external USB3 disks laid flat (one on top of the other), add 3-4 case fans, and youā€™d end up with the same footprint (or even less). Connect them to a decent 8-port (or higher) USB3 hub and overall cost would be less IME.

At least here - external USB3 disks are cheaper than bare SATA disks.

1 Like

My review These 8-bay USB enclosures are da bomb. Nothing else comes remotely close, not (even their) 4-bay, not 5-bay, not 10 bay or RAID or other USB connected enclosures. Sure they also ā€˜look niceā€™, but thatā€™s not why they are ā€˜beautifulā€™. Let me count the ways >

They are the extremely cost competitive, but thatā€™s just for startersā€¦they >

1. are a hub and drive enclosure in one
  2. so less 8 power supplies, 8 usb cables, 8 outlet power strip, save for 1 AC cable/USB cable for itself
  3. with 2 fans, so no separate drive cooling fans/power supplys/power strip connections for each drive
  4. with separate power - easy add/remove for each drive with system powered on
  5. conserve space and resulting tangled mess of stuff (wires/hubs/ext. enclosures)
  6. quiet operation, simple connection to farm PC
  7. provides a neat, clean, disk farm, tidy and organized
  8. makes USB drive management more tolerable
  9. Most (non-RAID, non-Clone enclosure) vendors TB ratings are mis-understood - itā€™s princeably a PS vs drives power draw issueā€¦Got enough power? Youā€™ll be fine. My 20tb drives are happy, no problem. Drives are getting more power efficient, not less.

A far as negative reviews/complaintsā€¦ sure consider their experience, but filter issues. Do your own due diligence. Amazon money back gives you time to decide for yourself. Sadly, some peps buy things they donā€™t understand well and have difficulties. Big surprise.

If I had to do it all over again, I wouldnā€™t have any of the external drives ā€¦ only 8 bay enclosures. Iā€™ve already removed some 12tb, 14tb and consolidated. Live and learn.

2 Likes

Iā€™m convinced. I am ordering one.
I would order more, but I cannot budget the cost of all of the drives.

Do you have a fan blowing across those external drives on your upper shelf?

Every 3 drives gets a 140mm fan blowing up its little vent holes, so yeah, nice and cool, but again, it adds cost.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093K57GQX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

I also like those cases, I shucked my Wd drives and installed into those 8 bay units. I could use another couple of those boxes :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I tested a couple of Seagate Ironwolf Pro drives, via:

I got 276 MB/s average write speeds with the above adapter.

However, when I use those same drives in this enclosureā€¦:

ā€¦the same drives, using the same USB port on the same computer got 86 MB/s average write speeds.

And I did the testing by copying plots from my NVMe drive, so as to not be able to blame the source drive for not keeping up.

@drhicom and @Fuzeguy and anyone else that uses the 8 Bay Syba enclosure:
What type of write speeds are you seeing?

I want to know whether or not to return my unit. Maybe I got a lemon? Or maybe they used an inferior, internal USB hub part?

I have not checked the speed, Iā€™m using two units and have two more coming from ebay. It solves a connection and power issue all those power packs and cables.