Official Chia compressed plots

For NVMe based SSDs, these 3 are top contenders (in no particular order):

– Samsung 990 Pro
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1726548-REG/samsung_mz_v9p2t0b_am_2tb_990_pro_pcie.html

Although I read, soon after that model was released, that it was reporting pre-mature wear. I do not know if that was fixed, or if it was a false positive Magician issue?

– Western Digital Black SN850X
https://www.amazon.com/WD_BLACK-SN850X-Internal-Gaming-Solid/dp/B0B7CQ2CHH/

– SK hynix Platinum P41
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QVD9V7R/

For SATA based SSDs, I know of only one drive that (virtually) maintains its speed when written to without rest:

– Crucial MX 500
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FRRWVWX/?th=1

Not any that I know of, that have Earthly pricing.

By the way… my links are for reference only; not for best pricing.

1 Like

I was speaking generally of the SSD market & pricing, not of any particular SSD. But since u ask, the Sam 990 Pro is ok, I have one and use it, it’s decent (firmware upgrade fixed whatever their issue was AFAIK). The 980 Pro is only $80 on Amazon, and most 2TB drives are where 1TB drives were not long ago, pricewise. My multiple 980s I bought many moons ago & used for plotting are many times their supposed life and going strong nevertheless. I would definitely buy them again.

I stopped paying so much attention to SSDs for two simple reasons though. First, I went from 128GB to 368GB memory, so far less use on SSD plotting, and I’ve finished plotting, so plotter PC is resting ATM.

1 Like

What do you mean your finished plotting, I heard through the grape vine you have qty 20 20Tb order being shipped!!! :lying_face:

If only… :rofl: :moneybag: :rofl: anything is possible lol!

Just get an old server with 512GB Ram and put an rtx 1070/ 0r 1080. Much cheaper than use ssd wear.

PNY still sells the LX3030 2TB version of their Chia targeted SSD - around $400 on their website, but you’d need MANY PETABYTES of farm to even think about putting serious wear on it.
As in DOUBLE DIGIT many, possibly TRIPLE digit if you get lucky on wear (it’s rated 54,000 TB write wear but plotting will usually use about 2x of what you actually plot.

NVME PCI3 x4 80 long form factor, should fit about anything with a NMVE slot.

They show the 1TB version, but it has no price or way to buy it on their web site.

I don’t recommend this unless you are plotting/replotting a HUGE farm and for some reason don’t have a good dedicated plotter machine, but it’s THERE.

2 Likes

if you can get Samsung 970 Pro…that was the fastest tourist SSD.

Corsair MP600 2TB my personal favourite, cheapest/fastest tourist drive ever made…currently with almost 5000 TBW (official 3600 TBW)

WD SN850 is on the same page as Corsair…but questionable durability…also Samsung 980 Pro. Price per plot is bad.

do your math, how much plots you wanna plot

Where are they on this? I downloaded the beta 2.0.1 i think it is and still nothing with compression plotting is it still in alpha?

That’s odd, I’m currently farming nearly a 1000 K32 C7 plots created by Bladebit and farmed by the Chia alpha, as are many others.

Plotting on Windows 10 or Windows Server is broken so its, Window 7, Windows 11 or Linux. Oddly the Alpha 4.3 Chia App doesn’t include the Alpha Bladebit plotter, you have down load the separately.

See this these

https://downloads.chia.net/bladebit/

2 Likes

Do you use CPU olny farmer? Or have a GPU to assist? Thanks.

I’m using a 3060 in the farmer, currently replotting my 304TiB to C7.

2 Likes

No GPU support for farming with BB plots yet

GPU farming with BB compressed plots working for me using the Alpha 4.3 release.

1 Like

Ah yes sorry my mistake. It works but it’s still experimental and the higher C levels aren’t available. As per the roadmap, gpu farming is only second half of 2023.

Maximum at the moment is C7, which is what I’m using.

1 Like

Idk about that I’m still running the same 4 980 pro 2Tb nvmes that i bought when they came out one has read/written over 2000 TB and still has life left and no issues. With even the 990 pros only costing $150 for 2TB which will plot nonstop for years you would have to burn through an insane amount of them to equal the expense of getting a server capable of ram or cuda plotting with bladebit with 512gb like you said. I got one to do other things with it after but if i wanted to maximize roi it would def be much cheaper to use nvmes to plot. I could buy 40-50 990 pro 2tb ssds for what i put into this server

1 Like

my understanding is that with bladebit you can plot with cuda ram or disk and still farm with cpu or gpu which i think cpu is going to be more efficient but idk. I know you cant disk plot right now with compression using bladebit but i think the farming is the same as with any plot they work with the chia farmer without having to pay extra fees to anyone

1 Like

Def wouldnt be buying any 970 evo plus ssds when the price on the top models just tanked the 990 pro is literally twice as fast and only $150 for 2tb which if like the 980 2tb will last for a long time I can show you the read write specs in diskinfo and my 980 pros have 10 times as much read and written than what the average nvme can do in a lifetime. Idk how people had issues with the 980s because i have 4 that all lasted like that it wasnt just a fluke i think the big factor is the size the 2tb lasts a long time but a lot of peaple go cheap and get small ones which dont last nearly as long

1 Like

No, in general terms GPU are more efficient than CPU.

I agree with you. Also bigger SSDs tend to last longer. Some models in the EVO series are known to keep going forever and well beyond their TBW spec.

1 Like

I believe it. Def was the case with the 980s the people who got the small ones wasted their money they didnt last long its def worth going with the biggest available for the added lifespan I think. With samsung anyway idk about other brands I never bothered with how good the 980s were and i just got the 990s when they came out. I wish they would catch up and make a 4TB at least though.

1 Like