Remote Recompute power savings for Gigahorse and FF Gigahorse

One of our farmers using FF Gigahorse found this while testing. I assume the recompute savings will be similar for regular Gigahorse. So basically it may be more power efficient to use a central cpu/gpu for compressed plot compute. Especially if one system has a more efficient cpu/gpu. There is also the possibility to use a Pi and compressed plots with a central GPU rig doing the compute.

“I’m obsessed with power consumption… my farm is split across two machines, a Ryzen 4800U miniPC and a hacked HP Chromebox (i7-8650U). My plan was to CPU farm both (a mix of C4 and C5, ~500TB total). I placed smart plugs on each machine and measured power while farming. It was more power efficient to run the recompute server on the 4800U and point the Chromebox towards it. The Chromebox now acts as a glorified wireless USB hub. It uses 3.1W in this role.”

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to Flexpool doing decompression as a service (or setting up a broker like nicehash) in the future hopefully to save even more :slight_smile:

I will be repeating my pi zero 2 experiment but with FFGH, both decompressed locally and with a high end GPU on another machine. Also a few other such as pi3 and NUC. Fun times ahead !

1 Like

@Chris22 I would be more worried about FlexFarmer/FlexPool issue where compressed plots earn ~15% less per plot than official plots (it should be only 3.125% MMX fee).

It makes me wonder whether it is a bug, intent to steal from farmers or my ISP is stealing XCH as man-in-the-middle attack.

:rofl:
thats-some-funny-shit-thats-funny

Everything is literally on chain you can check our pool wallet and compare that to blocks found we’ve sold like 5-10xch since we started so it’s almost all there. To my knowledge there is no evidence that Gigahorse plots pay less than Bladebit ones. The reverse maybe.

1 Like

yet, your FlexFarmer yield -15% less than should be ROFL

According to MMX, official = compressed in rewards - 3.125% dev fee

You are welcome to run a daily comparison running FF on one computer and the old chia farmer on another with 100TB. I suspect if FlexFarmer was underpaying by 15% Evergreen would have noticed by now as they are measuring everything and have sold 1000’s of units (wonder if it’s 10,000’s yet?).

Or you can just look at pool Space and compare that to daily blocks found. It would be pretty obvious if we’re finding 15% less blocks than we should be. And as I mentioned the XCH is on chain so you can see whats going into our pool wallet.

already did :wink:

To quote Max, your math is
“Just plain wrong.”

1 Like

@Chris22 just ignore him man… Everyone knows he just likes to talk nonsense.

1 Like

“It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “

Mark Twain

My math is “wrong”, yet the bills and rewards are proof of my “faulty” math ROFL