Selling 18TB WD Gold drives - 20 units

WD Gold WD181KRYZ Enterprise Class 18TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gbps 512MB Cache 3.5inch

$300 each.

Discount for NYC pickup.

david@onacana.com

So just to confirm your selling used drives for the price of new drives correct?

I am sure people will line out the door to take these off your hands.
Get in before the rush.

6 Likes

In all fairness to @BigSilverOrb, that WD Gold model drive goes for $419 new.
So his $300 asking price is not terribly high.

He might get a bite on eBay.

But here, where that Gold enterprise class will not be beneficial for Chia harvesting, I doubt that he will get any bites.

4 Likes

Failing sale, they make excellent coasters.

1 Like

Iā€™m unable to confirm.

Yeah, NO WAY Iā€™d pay $300 for 18TB USED drives to farm Chia withā€¦ Iā€™m buying Re-certified 20TB drives for around $225 each with a 2 YEAR warrantyā€¦

Iā€™m NOT affiliated with them in any way, Iā€™ve just been buying drives from them recently. PLUS, thereā€™s no sales tax & free shippingā€¦

5 Likes

Curiously enough, I also have 20 of the 18TB Seagates, $200 each. I may come down. Theyā€™re listed in a few places.

1 Like

$200 is still high for 18TB drives, plus NO warrantyā€¦

2 Likes

He came to the right place if heā€™s looking for suckers. Chia farmers. I have no shame in this fact as Iā€™m one of them.

1 Like

EBay suckers is the best place to off load used drives, especially if you can get a fee discount, itā€™s where I always sold my old drives and got top money for them.

Edit: After feeā€™s I was getting around Ā£155 / $195 for a 14 TB drive last August / September

1 Like

Thereā€™s a great Roald Dahl story called Parsonā€™s Pleasure yaā€™ll should read, itā€™s short, kinda how I feel about all this.

Guess Iā€™ll go and buy the fucking ā€˜boostā€™ on eBayā€¦

Ha ha, good story and it certainly was short.

Unfortunately there are some on here who are only to quick to tell you just how over priced you are, but thatā€™s for this forum not the wider market in general, as I said above far better prices will be reached elsewhere.

1 Like

Overpriced that ā€œIā€ am? Chia Rant incoming.

I bought heavily into Chia, had a 1.5PB farm that earned well in the day, almost 400XCH. Now with the GPU ā€œfarmingā€ taking all tokens, OG farmers like myself are done. I shut down my two larger servers that had me at ā€œ3 days to winā€ after several dry months, and Iā€™ve been at "10 daysā€™ since February 9th without any wins.

My setup works fine. I was happy with the ā€œfarmingā€ concept because it didnā€™t cause my electric bill to skyrocket. Now with compressed plots, I might as well be farming Ethereum.

The ā€œtime to winā€ as expressed by Chia software is clearly inaccurate. My OG plots will never win against compressed plots. And Iā€™m not willing to pay another $1000 electric bill to compete. Kinda destroys the point of ā€œgreen-erā€ crypto farming versus mining.

Thereā€™s a scam going on here, the kind my Mensa brain wants to throw in the trash.

2 Likes

A 1.5 PiB OG plot farm and a 1.5 PiB effective compressed plot farm will earn equally all being well, it should make no difference whatsoever.

If you had a dry spell it was either just bad luck or there was something wrong, and you should have tried pooling, yes you can pool OG plots, Foxy Pool still has an OG pool. Pooling is very quick at showing up if there is problems that you canā€™t find, its the main reason I pool.

The time to win is purely an estimate, but when averaged out over a long enough period of time it is pretty accurate, Iā€™ve had long dry spells and then won in quick succession, one user on here with a large farm had a 1000% effort, thatā€™s ten times their win period, then won in quick succession, thatā€™s just the way it goes, nothing to do with compressed plots, if everything is working properly then either setup will win equally over time.

Net space was at its largest in September 2021, compression did not exist then, we have never reached that size since, but did come close recently, compression has certainly boosted net space, which has eroded youā€™re earnings though.

You made the decision not to replot, Iā€™ve replotted multiple times, I have 323 TiB raw, but my farm is now 759 TiB effective, more than double the size with just the addition of a 3060 GPU. To more than double my farm size with drives would cost many times more than that GPU did, power usage would likely be more as well.

1 Like

Get that ur rantingā€¦but why so upset? Ronski is 100% spot onā€¦ a bit of an upgrade and youā€™ll be back in the runningā€¦with everyone else w/GPUs. And pooling I would tooā€¦itā€™s really the best and only way to know if your farm is working. Take Foxy pool, you can be 100% solo there, but youā€™ll have stats for farm health.

Sure GPUs add some cost and a bit of complexity and a replot obviously, but 1.5PB isnā€™t all that much, sure a bit of work, but thenā€¦you can sell the plotting GPU at least. Beside ā€¦ isnā€™t it really fun?? If it is not, why did you start in the 1st place? Certainly not to make a living off it :face_in_clouds: ā€¦ or if you didā€¦ well Iā€™d say you made the right decision to quit \ because change is inevitable.

PS $1000 electric for 1.5PB w/no GPU???.. how much does your electric cost?? Holy Molly!! You need a windmill :rofl:

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, but are you denying my actual experience?

Iā€™m not replotting because GPU farming turns ā€œgreenā€ upside down. I would have invested in Ethereum mining had I known it would all be consumptive in the first place.

OG farmers are not winning. Anyone want to prove me wrong, please post.

Iā€™m all too familiar with all the ā€œfactsā€ you listed, I was there, I saw it all.

OG farms donā€™t win.

1 Like

I mean, this says it all. The drives Iā€™m selling are offline.

Here is a screenshot from Chia (XCH) PoST | Mining Pools. The #3 pool is based on OG non compressed plots. You can do a simple mult/div on ā€œBlocksā€ column to see how that pool is performing as far as winning blocks for its size.

By the way, that green field below the # of blocks won is rather worthless, as it doesnā€™t provide percentages.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, but Iā€™m of the opinion that poolers are suckers giving their info out to be stolen.

You are just so wrong! My brother has farmed solo ever since he started back in 2021, with roughly 150 TiB of OG plots. This is a copy of our messenger conversation from Sunday and today.

Iā€™ve been trying to get him to replot to compressed plots for ages, the reason he hasnā€™t done it, because he just too busy doing other things and finds making a decision very hard.

Today he told me he won two blocks over the weekend, Iā€™ll shout that for you TWO BLOCKS OVER THE WEEKEND, thatā€™s on OG plots.

In case you donā€™t understand his reply in the above screen shot, his average effort heā€™s calculated at 111.57% to date, his effort when he won the first block was 208.15%, his effort when he won the second block was 7.01%.

1 Like