Slow plotting. Help needed finding the bottleneck

Yeah, I’m still staggering 1 hour apart. I’m just curious what else, aside from CPU/RAM, could be the bottleneck.

16 plots/day is ~1.8TB/day. I wonder if there is some room for improvement. That’s why I’m trying to understand what other bottlenecks could be in the stack.

your i7-10700k should be running close to 4.78Ghz when plotting. I have one here sitting next to me. Enable the automatic dynamic overclock feature in your bios. Make sure XMP Profile 1 is turned on for your memory in bios. Set the Clock to whatever speed is on your DDR4 dimms. I got 24 out of mine but still messing with it. I had 2 1tb NVMEs in raid0 to make a bigger drive but most pros say to keep them separate. If you do raid0 again make sure both drives are exactly the same model and capacity… If you want max speed. I think I was plotting only 7 at a time. I didnt write the settings down. Facepalm.

you guys have nice speed i tried on windows 10 with gui and a specs cpu 3900x - mobo Asus Tuf x570
ram - 48gb 3200 and NVME corsair mp510 920gb and Crucial P5 2TB and i have made them a pool
tried doing 10 plots with 12mins stagger for the write time to an hdd but oh boy was i wrong about that…
started 15:56 yesterday and its now 10:27 and the 1st one is still on 92% on default settings btw so 2 threads 3390 ram so 19 hours later and still not a single plot done…i am lightly using the pc as well for daily activities, any ideas ?

1. Update your bios, and check cpu (voltage) and memory (xmp) settings. motherboard makers can be nitwits, my 3900x was running at a crazy high voltage causing it to heat up and throttle.

2. don’t use raid/pool on two different drives, it tends not to work out very well.

I think those drives can maybe handle 3 and 4/5 plots respectively with a stagger of 60-120 minutes.
Use 4 threads per plot, 4000 Ram and see how it goes.

If you really want to get more, you probably have to get another ssd. Be sure to check reviews to see the sustained write speed before you buy.

1 Like

Some points:

• You do not want there to be anything but chia for your temp drive, especially not swap.

• Do not use raid 0 on SSD’s for Chia. The speed of your raid will be the speed of your slowest drive, so the one that currently has more write amplification or is garbage collecting etc. Also, you are building a raid 0 from a 1TB and 2TB drive, does that not imply you are only using 1 TB of the 2 TB drive? Great for the 2TB wear leveling, but it will be permanently bogged down by the poor 1TB.

• Intel warns not to use mounting with discard for NVMe SSDs, and use periodic scheduled batch trim instead.

I enabled the auto overclock, but I don’t see my cpu going anywhere above 4300 MHz.

I had my NVMe’s raid0-ed at the very beginning. But then I separated them and I use them as two separate temp ssd’s. I also disabled swap on my machine.

Im doing 24 plots a day, hopefully more with new config.

Atual configs

• Ryzen 5 5600x
  • B550M-K mobo (cheap one)
  • Nvme 1TB - XPG Spectrix S40G
  • Nvme 1TB - T-FORCE TM8FP5001T
  • NVme 512GB - XPG GAMMIX S11 PRO

note the hardware configs is far from awesome, but Im doing plots simultaneousy on separated nvme temps.
All 4 threads / 4000GB / stagger 60 min

• 4 plots on 1TB nvme / max 2plots on phase 1 >> HDD1
  • 4 plots on another 1TB nvme / max 2 plots on phase 1 >> HDD2
  • 2 plots on 512GB nvme / max 1 plot on phase 1 >> HDD3

New config

• Add an 1TB SSD ADATA SU800 as Temp2 and final destination, still testing.
2 Likes