Struggling to stay synced

Windows 10 Home
Chia 1.5.0

Over the past few days, I keep dropping out of sync.

If I restart the services (or restart the GUI), it usually catches up quickly. But it does not last. After a few minutes, I fall out of sync, again. When I do the restart, I verify that all services have restarted (no orphans).

If I do nothing, it catches up on its own. But then falls out of sync a few minutes later.

I re-booted the box, and the problem persists.

All services are running from an NVMe drive, with 200+ GB space available.

Please offer a remedy or suggestions on trouble-shooting.

Below is a excerpt from the debug.log.
There are a few messages that repeat, and are appearing often, which was not the case in previous logs that rolled.

2022-09-21T22:01:09.989 full_node full_node_server        : ERROR    Exception: Failed to fetch block 2576715 from {'host': '185.228.141.212', 'port': 8444}, timed out, {'host': '185.228.141.212', 'port': 8444}. Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "chia\server\server.py", line 605, in wrapped_coroutine
  File "chia\full_node\full_node_api.py", line 121, in new_peak
  File "chia\full_node\full_node.py", line 590, in new_peak
  File "chia\full_node\full_node.py", line 524, in short_sync_backtrack
  File "chia\full_node\full_node.py", line 509, in short_sync_backtrack
ValueError: Failed to fetch block 2576715 from {'host': '185.228.141.212', 'port': 8444}, timed out

2022-09-21T22:01:09.990 full_node full_node_server        : ERROR    Exception: Failed to fetch block 2576715 from {'host': '185.228.141.212', 'port': 8444}, timed out <class 'ValueError'>, closing connection {'host': '185.228.141.212', 'port': 8444}. Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "chia\server\server.py", line 615, in api_call
  File "asyncio\tasks.py", line 442, in wait_for
  File "chia\server\server.py", line 612, in wrapped_coroutine
ValueError: Failed to fetch block 2576715 from {'host': '185.228.141.212', 'port': 8444}, timed out

2022-09-21T22:01:19.994 full_node full_node_server        : WARNING  Banning 185.228.141.212 for 10 seconds
2022-09-21T22:02:48.641 full_node full_node_server        : ERROR    Exception: Failed to fetch block 2576716 from {'host': '201.92.152.50', 'port': 8444}, timed out, {'host': '201.92.152.50', 'port': 8444}. Traceback (most recent call last):
ValueError: Failed to fetch block 2576716 from {'host': '201.92.152.50', 'port': 8444}, timed out

2022-09-21T22:02:48.641 full_node full_node_server        : ERROR    Exception: Failed to fetch block 2576716 from {'host': '201.92.152.50', 'port': 8444}, timed out <class 'ValueError'>, closing connection {'host': '201.92.152.50', 'port': 8444}. Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "chia\server\server.py", line 615, in api_call
  File "asyncio\tasks.py", line 442, in wait_for
  File "chia\server\server.py", line 612, in wrapped_coroutine
ValueError: Failed to fetch block 2576716 from {'host': '201.92.152.50', 'port': 8444}, timed out

2022-09-21T22:02:58.645 full_node full_node_server        : WARNING  Banning 201.92.152.50 for 10 seconds

@Lsherring, you recently posted issues with staying synced. Has your issue been resolved?

Unlike your issue, however, my wallet is not disconnecting.

Id try asking at keybase.

This guy says 1.6.0. fixed his same issue. Don’t know, have not encountered it at all with any release. But worth a shot, u can always go back, but not sure why u would, if it gives issues. Disclaimer: I’m on 1.6.0 now.

3 Likes

That video’s host’s issues were harvester related, affecting his plot count.
He says “syncing”. But he is referring to the connectivity between his harvester and his farmer.

He did not say anything about not staying synced to the blockchain (which is my issue).

Interestingly, my internet service provider did maintenance at 2:00 EDT, knocking out my service for 10 minutes.

So far, today, I have not lost synchronization. Coincidence?
I will have to give it more time to find out. But I changed nothing, and those same messages are still showing up in my debug.log

If my issue returns, then I will upgrade to 1.6.0.
I usually wait, before using a new release. But if 1.5.0 issues remain, then I might as well do the upgrade.

What is strange is all I did was mess with my hard-wired ethernet cable and connector. Since I have done this, I have been up with no issues, knock on wood. I have heard positive feedback on 1.6, but I usually say hell no to dot 0…LOL

1 Like

I, too, do not normally install .0 versions. But I made an exception with installing 1.5.0

I was on 1.3.3, and although it worked well, I was not entirely comfortable being that far behind.
At the time I installed 1.5.0, 1.5.1 was just released. Also, I inquired about 1.5.0, and got only positive feedback.

So I had to choose between 1.5.0 (out for a while with no one complaining), or 1.5.1 (too new to be trusted). Ergo, I went with 1.5.0. It was working great for a few weeks. I changed nothing, and yet this synchronization issue dropped out of the sky.

Good to know your synchronization problem is history.

You might have had some scunge on that connector and by repluging cleaned the contacts, just like reseating PC boards years ago.

My synchronization issue persists.
Looking for suggestions before I upgrade to 1.6.0.

Can you run a lan cable on the floor for a couple of days to just test? Wipe out your wifi issue maybe?

That is an very good idea.
Alas, I do not have a 75’ cable.

If no one else has any suggestions, I will go the 6.0 upgrade route.
If that does not work, I guess I will be purchasing a 75’ cable.

I will also have to install a switch, because my two Chia boxes have only one Ethernet port, and I have a short cable running between them. So in order to not lose the plots on my box #2, it will need to remain connected to box #1 (full node).

I have not had a need for a switch in years. The one I have is 100 Mb. I am assuming, that although that is slow by today’s networking speeds, that Chia will not need anything near that speed. A 100 Mb connection should be able to handle 9 MB per second (I believe), or something in that neighborhood.

Amazon.com: Cat6 Ethernet Cable, 75 ft - RJ45, LAN, UTP CAT 6, Network, Patch, Internet Cable - 75 Feet : Electronics

Amazon.com: TP-Link TL-SG105 | 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch, Ethernet Splitter | Plug & Play | Fanless Metal Design | Shielded Ports | Traffic Optimization | Limited Lifetime Protection : Everything Else

1 Like

I will probably purchase this (or something similar):
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cablevantage-RJ45-Cat6-100-Feet-Ethernet-LAN-Network-Cable-for-PS-Xbox-PC-Internet-Router-Black/708419018

I am not sure why they label it for Xbox? Perhaps just a way to “trick” Xbox users that that cable is tailored for the Xbox?

I have a Walmart nearby (assuming they have it in stock – they usually do).

But I will not be buying a switch, for a higher speed than Chia uses, especially for using for 2 or 3 days.

If I did buy a switch, I would choose one that supports 2.5 Gbe (that is the speed of each of my motherboard’s NICs). I am not sure how my NICs would behave if they had to scale back to 1 Gbe?

It would not have a problem falling back a speed. What the fastest your internet service is right now?

Amazon.com : usb to lan adapter

I used these alot to add a nick on the spot.

Amazon.com: USB Ethernet Adapter, uni USB 3.0 to 100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Network Adapter for Gaming, Driver Free RJ45 Compatible with Nintendo Switch, Laptop, PC, Chrome OS, Windows 8/7/XP/10, macOS, Linux : Electronics

1 Like

92.85 / 5.86 (Mbits / per second)
That translates to approximately 9 MB download and 500 K upload speeds.

A 100 Mb switch (which is what I have in storage) is a match for the above.

Besides, even if my internet connection was 10x faster, Chia does not need that speed, and neither do I for routine day-to-day stuff.

I am using Comcast’s lowest priced plan (and that does not imply low price).

That USB Ethernet Adapter is a good idea, too.
I have only USB 2.0 ports available. But that is still 2x or 3x faster than my internet service speed.

That adapter can run in a USB 1.1 port also

Is your Comcast Cable modem an XB3?

Using that test above, how is your latency (ping)?

I believe that USB 1.1 maxes out at 150 K per second. That might be fast enough for Chia, too? But I am not going to find out.

There are several USB / Ethernet adapters to choose from. Some include built-in USB hubs. All are similarly priced.

How did you settle on the “uni” brand / model?
Are you using it?

My cable-modem box is an Arris model. I could not find the model printed on the box.
It is 3 or 4 years old. I have no problems with it.

What is XB3?

Pinging my ISP’s gateway (one hop upstream from my cable-modem), I average 2 to 3 ms.
However, that is when I do not include an occasional 150 ms ping that happens (perhaps, once every 30 pings).

Could those occasional ping outliers case loss of sync? Your node is going to reach out far and world wide, not just to your ISP. What about the Ookla test, it tells you up/dn ping below the speed rating, and you can choose far away different servers, not just your ISP?

Bad Greater than 100ms
Acceptable 40-100ms
Good 20-40ms
Great Less than 20ms

Note that my statistics were virtually the same, prior to my having this syncing problem.