Struggling to stay synced

Apx 4608 blocks per day.

If thiese sources are correct.

What you need to know about the Chia Blockchain - Chia Decentral.

This link shows them to be correct.

1 Like

On my “Farming” screen, I see a new challenge come in approximately every 7.5 seconds.

Since there are 86,400 seconds in 1 day, I divided 86,400 by 8 (in my previous comment) and got 10,800 challenges per day (but at 7.5 second intervals, there would be 11,500 challenges per day).

I do not understand why those reputable sites are showing wildly different numbers than my calculations. We can’t both be right.

If my math is wrong, I would appreciate someone showing me my error.

Or if my premise is wrong (one challenge approximately every 7.5 seconds), then I would appreciate someone explaining what I am seeing in my GUI’s “Farming” tab every 7.5 seconds.

I think this must be the difference between blocks that have transactions in them and those that don’t.

I can only guess.
And my guess would be that some challenges dont get an acceptable proof provided by the network, so no new block is created.

If that were true your figure and those i linked could all be correct.

I could be very wrong though, its just a guess.

No need to guess. Here is the explanation - Challenges | Chia Documentation

The second paragraph sums it up.

Youd think theyd just drop challenges rather
than send challenges thst cant mint a block.

Cannot say that that page is clear enough or that i spent enough time to study it, so still don’t know how they pick that minted vs. non-minted block.

So, as far as your question, I don’t really understand why they bother to drop basically every other challenge instead of sending just one challenge every 18.75 sec and approving all of them (if the network is big enough, and difficulty is not too restrictive). It just ads to network congestion (as far as I can tell).

But which challenge will be dropped looks like is decided after proofs for two consecutive challenges are submitted, and only then some checking is done which one will be dropped. Although, the language suggest that it may also happen that both blocks will be winning or neither one (or about one winner every 18.75 seconds on average).

Continues to advance at nearly the same rate when space decreases, since only around 1/3 of blocks include transactions. PoW Nakamoto Consensus slows down linearly when hashrate drops.

My syncing issue returned, and I noticed that my pings to Comcast’s network (one hop upstream from my router) were inconsistent. They ranged from 4ms and less, to a few hundred ms every 15 seconds or so. I would get synced, and then fall behind, again, every few minutes.

I pinged the same IP address from my daily-driver PC (connected with a cable), and all pings were 1ms or less.

I plugged in my 75’ Ethernet cable, disconnected my WiFi, and I am now getting 100% 2ms or less reply times. The higher (2ms) times are probably due to me using a USB → Ethernet adapter.

So I have to live with a damn cable running down my hallway, and step over it.

To run it around my apartment, it would be close to 300’, and would be a lot of work, that I would probably screw up.

Thanks for keeping pressure on me. It looks like it solved my syncing issue.

2 Likes

Had you already rolled the cable back up ?

1 Like

No. I was planning on doing so, today, because maintenance personnel are scheduled to perform state-mandated sprinkler anti-freeze draining / replacement tomorrow, and I did not want to risk them damaging the cable.

But the cable has to stay, if I want my Chia set-up to stay synced.

They need clear, unfettered access to every sprinkler in every room. Argh!

By the way, while configuring my new network’s IP configuration, I must have inadvertently changed something that disconnected my Mini PC / harvester from my network.

madmax was doing a file transfer, and started complaining about failed writes to the Mini PC.

Upon me completing the wired internet facing set-up, and re-establishing my Mini PC’s connection (no re-boot needed), that file transfer continued on its merry way.

To my delight, every byte was written. The file copy was exact.

Whether that is due to the code in madmax’s file transfer protocol, or the NTFS filing system’s robustness, or TCP/IP’s robustness, a combination, or something else, I was impressed that after a 60 second disconnection that the plot file made an exact copy, as if nothing ever happened.

1 Like

Have you try to use VPN or 4G from phone? I have periodical issue with sync and this solves the problem, but makes new one - ping increasing. My thoughts - there is some filters on my cable internet providers side.

1 Like

No.
I do not trust VPNs. They can monitor and log everything that you do, regardless of their claims.
They are handy for obtaining services that are not available in your own region.

I use very little data with my smart phone. As such, I have the least expensive data plan I could find. It throttles down my bandwidth after 1 GB (I believe), and I never use anywhere near that amount of data.

I have considered using my smart phone as a hot-spot for Chia, so that I could divorce myself from Comcast and their high prices. I will have to crunch the numbers to see if it is worthwhile to use an old smart phone with a decent data plan to be a permanent hot-spot for Chia and all of my internet related activities, including TV shows, and finding a DVR alternative, etc. My gut tells me it that it will not work out.

You can run self VPN server on Digiatalocean for example for 4$ per month

It’s safe, and helps on public places like wifi cafe to protect your data.

1gb LTE it’s so small for Chia sync(

1 Like

Virtually all HTTP traffic is running via HTTPS, so what that VPN should be actually protecting?

Connect, via a VPN at a public hot spot, and that will prevent anyone from seeing which sites you are visiting, as well as anything else you are doing on-line.

Need to remotely connect to your home computer?
A VPN can make that possible, from a public hot spot, without anyone seeing what you are doing.

1 Like

That was actually my question. What is “anything else” other than hand waiving?

Sure, the guy sitting next to you may be seeing your DNS activity (if connecting via port 53), may be seeing you are connecting to a XYZ website that correlates with your DNS query, but that is pretty much it. The website exchange is TLS protected, so not much can be extracted from it. You can argue that the same data can be extracted by putting a tap on your own VPN server (whether at home or at provider like DigitalOcean).

There is not much if any difference if any between connecting to your home via VPN vs RDP. In both cases those channels are protected most likely using the same encryption. The only thing that is going to be visible is the IP you are connecting to, so if your VPN server is at home that is basically the same as RDP connection.

You can argue that the most hacks are done either at the service provider sites (e.g., EquiFax), or your device. There is virtually zero hacks over wifi cafe connections, as those were mostly done during the old days before HTTPS kicked in.

Also, snooping on your browsing habits is done by cookies and local storage data, not really by monitoring scrambled connections.

By using a VPN, you do not have to worry about any sites not implementing proper encryption, or that all parts of your browser are populated by encrypted channels (perhaps some ads, photos, gifs, etc, are supplied by 3rd parties and not encrypted?).

Maybe you want to ftp a file from your home computer (not all ftp servers support sftp).
Or maybe connect to a shared folder on your home computer.

Can all of that be encrypted by other means? Probably. I would not know how to ensure that I have not missed any cracks in the security. But those that are well seasoned Kali Linux users will surely find such cracks.

Enter connecting to my home’s VPN router, and all cracks are sealed, including all DNS activity.

I am not a security expert. So perhaps I am missing something?
And since I am not a security expert, using an encrypted VPN tunnel for all public traffic is the best and only way I know how to keep my activity private.

You do need to read how HTTPS works before making such claims.

Same with RDP, no difference at all. Doesn’t cost anything, doesn’t introduce another layer of potential logging.

Then don’t make statements about what you do not understand. There is nothing worse than false sense of security as that helps sell rubbish services.

1 Like

:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :male_detective: ,