The Journey to One Petabyte

Lot x 19 Dell Foxconn 3.75" SATA Power Controller Splitter Adapter Cable 0N701D | eBay

1 sata power port for 2 disks.

I dint even know where that male would plug to, the connector looks odd.

I’m not gonna comment on this thread again, I think ive derailed it enough.

You can also cut the 5th wire (usually orange), and that takes care of all connected drives on that line.

Virtually, no SATA drives use 3.3V for power (the first two pins of power connector), and the third pin powers down the drive if 3.3V is present, so also no loss. All “normal” SAS/SATA controllers use data protocol to do the same job (stagger starts).

3 Likes

Quick update: just passed 9000 plots! Probably another 4-5 days to go to hit 1pb…

“When the netspace is growing, be fearful. When it is shrinking, be greedy.” – Warren Chiafet

6 Likes

What is your plan if you need to replot your whole farm? Are you considering buying plots online or adding more machines?

Why would I need to do that? It would take a lot less than it did the first time, but ugh…

Funny you should ask! I’ll be posting another update soon…let’s just say that second option. :slight_smile: My latest auction win is on the way - I found a few more blade servers:

servers

I’ll need another 8 more c7000 blade server chassis to hold them all. Already got 4 on the way and a lead on 4 more. I’ll probably refurbish and resell most of these - goal is to sell enough of them to pay for the auction cost itself and keep the rest to plot and/or run Raptoreum or whatever the next CPU coin is.

Unlike my other deals, this one was quite competitive. Still pennies on the dollar from new, but…well, a LOT of pennies lol. I’m excited to take delivery and dig through them.

3 Likes

The question isn’t why… but when! :scream:

1 Like

Isn’t mining Monero worth it these days ?

1 Like

This has been a fascinating thread to read and planning a large setup myself.

1 Like

The question is why. Really, why?

1 Like

Seriously…like, do you know something we don’t know?? You’re scaring me @aurelius :laughing:

There are many reasons that you’d need to replot, from the most obvious such as upgrading to k33, to the more nefarious such as nft keys being compromised.

1 Like

Ah ok - I think we read your comment as “hey did you hear that we have to re-plot? how you gonna do it?” Yeah, I was worried about k33 but now that netspace has plateaued I don’t think we’ll have to worry about it for a long time yet. Although…I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and start plotting k33’s right now anyway. Are there any good reasons against?

I don’t think you’d have to replot even if the private key that was used to originally plot was compromised. You’d just redirect your farmer rewards to a new wallet. You’d still have the plots themselves and the private key necessary to farm with them - the attacker would also have the private key but they wouldn’t have access to your new reward wallet. To be a nuisance to you, they’d have to also steal copies of your plot files and have a farmer that is faster than yours so they sign your blocks sooner. Not worth the hassle - once they compromise your key and drain your wallet, they won’t be back. You could keep farming your (compromised) plots and direct to a new (hopefully cold) wallet.

2 Likes

Oh, the obvious one is resource utilization. I’ve got 4 blade servers with 448gb RAM using BladeBit to make k32’s. Not sure what BB’s requirements for k33 are (if it even supports), but I assume double. So that means OG parallel plotting on hdd’s or MadMax (if it supports it). I might look into it but I assume my k32 workflow will produce more TB/hr than a k33 workflow on same equipment for now.

Not that I’m aware of.

Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m thinking that if an attacker has your wallet keys, he can simply switch your NFT to any pool of his chosing and steal 7/8th or even 8/8th of the rewards.

Still curious as to why you chose Raptoreum. I haven’t looked into CPU mining these days, but it seems like it fits perfectly into planning for a Chia farm, especially if you want to be very competitive on any future replotting events.

1 Like

Yes he (an attacker) can, but only up to the payouts the pool provides. If he doesn’t change pool you’d not even notice anything in the GUI, but your log starts throwing errors every 5 seconds and of course your earnings from the pool would prove something’s wrong. I played with this ‘attacking’ my own farm. Worst thing is even if you counter his doings he can do this over and over. That would be a reason to replot for most I guess.

1 Like

Yes, I think you are right after our discussion on the other post but I would love to hear from the official team on this.

The only “good” thing about this attack is that it is completely unprofitable for the attacker. They just have to hate you - once they realize you are changing it back, they know they are “busted” and they’d just have to keep spending energy to mess with you. Meanwhile, you just have to wait them out cause you are the one with all the assets (plots). STILL, I’d start replotting, but I’d fight tooth and nail to keep changing it back to my address while I’m doing it. :laughing:

Edit: Also, quick update! So close…the last week or so hasn’t been as productive cause I’ve been fiddling with iSCSI. The production workflow is back up and running and we are almost at 10,000 plots but not quite 1PB - soon!

1 Like

You forgot an extra zero at the end :grinning:

2 Likes

I was never able to get a response either on here or on keybase. Let me know if you get an answer!

1 Like