The send transaction from the official chia application does not pass (pending for long time)

Wonderful. How do I change my wallet ID?

Did you give them you’re 24 words, or access to any computer?

What information did you give them?

Only way I’m aware or is to create a new wallet, move you’re funds across and replot with the new wallet.

I really hope you’ve been using a cold wallet as well.

Ok TY good to know. No they do not have the 24 words.

I was having the same issue, transactions not going through, but they used to no problem. I made the transaction fee .001 and it went through in a minute or two… Everyone’s gotta get paid… If you want the rewards to settle faster, pay the really small transaction fee…

1 Like

Just sent a transaction with a 0.00008 fee, went through in about the same time.

1 Like

@rallbright Thank you again for pointing me to CLI. I played with various fees but aborted them roughly after 6 hours and starting a new one with 10x higher fees still to fail to go through. After that, I put the fee at 2x of what “Fee Estimate - Send XCH” chart from chia dashboard had at that time, and it went right away (third row, second chart - Grafana). So, that chart takes away all the mysteries about how to setup those fees.

The bottom line is that when those fees are higher, I don’t think that there is a way to create plotNFT safely, so it is one more issue for the new folks that are just starting. Also, looking at that dashboard, there are 4 categories of fees there. Not sure if that would be possible to have chia create a fifth one that would address plotNFT creation (kind of an edge case).

Actually, few folks before complained about problems with pool switching on the forum. Looking back at that, the increased transaction fee could be the culprit there as well. It would be nice if the GUI would at least checked for the current transaction estimate and refused to work, or at least work only after explicit confirmation that “shit may/will happen”.

Anyway, thanks to you that was a nice experiment to run through.

.001 fee to send 3 Chia and 8 hours later still stuck on pending. That fee is much higher then the graphana chart? I am about to throw in the towel.

When you look at that grafana chart, you may want to change the time window (upper right). Potentially, when you initially submitted it, the payment was higher or something to that extent.

I would cancel whatever you have there right now, check with grafana what is the current rate (looks like it is 0.00001) and make it a bit higher (I did 2x).

Also, not sure if you are using GUI or CLI, but I would use CLI to do that. This way if the code barfs, you will have an immediate result there, not confused GUI (I couldn’t cancel plotNFT creation using GUI).

My take is that using that chart and CLI, is most likely the most reliable way to do transactions.

Here is the wallet CLI doc - Wallet CLI | Chia Documentation and examples provided there (you can ignore --memo):

chia wallet delete_unconfirmed_transactions --fingerprint 123..89
chia wallet send --fingerprint 123..89 --address xch1jp5t...regs69ayqr --memo "test" --fee 0.000000000001 --amount 0.000000001

Basically, if you go a bit above that expected fee and you don’t see that transaction going through roughly right away, kill it and resubmit another one.

Also, I think the send command will give you a full command to monitor that new transaction, so you don’t need to depend on GUI feedback.

That’s odd, just under 4 hours ago I sent two transactions with the GUI, one with a 0.0001 and the other with 0.00008 XCH fee, both went through in a matter of minutes.

I tried .000001 .00001 .0001 .001 .01 & let them sit for 5-10 minutes each. It was the .01 that went through right away for me.

1 Like

Thank you all for the great info. It just went through. I can go cry now…lol / Have a great new years!!

I have to say this looks curiously timed with the sudden price increase. Maybe enough miners got coins locked so the price increased? I have some 0.5 XCH locked up because of this, not a big deal, I could change the payout address on my pool. But if I was using legacy plots I could have real trouble accessing my farming income, probably some people have this problem now.

I have over 10 years of experience using cryptocurrencies starting with Bitcoin and been working on the industry for 10 years, and it amazes me how crappy the usability of the Chia wallet is. I couldn’t find a way to attempt to move specific outputs, it seems like someone has either accidentally or on purpose managed to effectively disable lots of wallets and especially people with less technical knowhow are likely to be affected!

I tried with a 0.01 fee and it was still pending 24 hours later. Deleted it again after that.

Transactions all have a certain “cost” to them, but its not as vanilla as many think (send this flat fee and it beats the other flat fees), when sending a transaction you very well may be sending dozens or hundreds of separate “coins” all with varying values (think of all the small pool payouts some get, each one of those payouts is a tiny coin of its own), that increases the cost of any transaction you send…

so a fee which works for one person might not work for another even if they are sent at the same time for the same block with the same coin value, the underlying coins combined is what matters, minting NFTs and other advanced transactions have a greater base cost in order to be what they are.

The estimator in the wallet is definitely off, the ability to replace with a better fee is needed when mempool is full, so I’m sure they’ll get to work on this after the holidays now that its abundantly clear there are shortcomings that need to be addressed sooner rather than later, just like they are working on handling the mempool better as well for low powered farming nodes struggling to handle the mempool.

(All this and more is often discussed on the Chia Discord)

P.S. Side note, for those who receive error messages saying they can only send X amount despite having more than X, its because you are combining MANY MANY small coins to reach that number, this is why some will send their small coins to themselves to create bigger coins, combining them.

5 Likes

Good info.

Few comments. The first is that we should not be using “the fee was XYZ” but rather how it related to the current average.

The second is what you hinted that both CLI and GUI at minimum should be looking at the intended transaction, and providing a suggestion (e.g., if the current average is X, and the number of “sub-coins” is N, the fee should be X * N) clearly stating that the fee needs to be N times higher, unless “whatever” is done to correct it. Kind of a lame way of doing it.

The third (what I would like to see) is the current average would be presented, and if the coin has N sub-coins, it would be the CLI/GUI job to do the magic and consolidate those sub-coins into one coin before going blindly to send it.

It is really pointless to push the problem on all 100k farmers, where the fix can be done by one chia dev making the whole thing disappear.

By the way, is there any easy way to check the current “fragmentation” of the wallet? Maybe a wallet “defrag” would be something to have in the CLI (instead of clicking hundred times to manually do the work).

1 Like

I mean, there are places you can reach out to devs and make suggestions on how you would like to see things designed in the future (more should participate in that), Chia Github has always been a traditional place for this, especially if people can write things the way they want and submit a pull request its probably even more tailored to them… but otherwise the Chia Discord might be a good spot to join the conversations and give some feedback direct to devs.

Obviously having something like this right before a planned holiday for most of the developers is not ideal, but you can watch the github work some have done over the holidays as well as what some have said on discord to see they are actively planning new ways to address things and make it easier. This forum isn’t run by Chia so its not something they actively participate on, they use other sites for that.

P.S. I am not a dev/employee, so telling me what you want doesn’t tell them what and how you want it. I just wanted to give people some information and path to head down… otherwise https://docs.chia.net/

Super, then we can leave it as is.

Not exactly what you want and it might need updating

2 Likes

Thank you!! Looks really good.

@ChiaPizza thanks for the write up, that makes sense.

I’ve set the pool to payout when I have accumulated more than 0.3 XCH, this goes to my hot wallet. Once my hot wallet reaches more than 1 XCH I send 1 XCH to my cold wallet.

Would I be better off setting the pool to payout exactly 0.5 XCH, then there would only be two coins to each XCH?

I used to follow the Chia Discord all the time during the compression beta’s but it just takes so much time, so I only look in occasionally now.