URGENT Cannot bring Chia back after updating to 1.2.10

Hi everyone. Sad update. My wallet is at 118,183 and moving so slow. I have always had lots of connections in the past with no issues. One item of note is that I’m getting many connections that are not full nodes and the height is blank. I keep deleting them but more keep popping up. I’m still not synced. I do not understand that as I have many full nodes getting good up and down speed. This is hard to watch. Everyone has presented some great ideas but I’m an old Mainframe Engineer and I’m afraid of screwing things up with the CLI. I would also be willing to pay via venmo to anyone who wants to help via teamviewer. Im doa at the moment :frowning:

1 Like

Also, what is the height of the wallet supposed to be?

There is a node shortage it seems, I usually have 80, but I’m down to 50 today.

what does your wallet height say?
Im wondering how far I’m off. TY

It needs to be the same as chain height to be synced.
You can still farm and plot though, just not move coin out.

crap…ok…I really need help…CHia team…Again, I will gladly pay via venmo for assistance on this as it is not going to resolve itself and it all started with a damn upgrade. Ugg…Ty team. Larry

I think it is time for you to sign on to Keybase and join the Chia Team.

Post your problem (briefly, lol) in the support channel and with luck, you will receive some answers quickly.

Be well! :smiley:

Try some of these.

https://chia.powerlayout.com/

Yeah I have been on Keybase and JonMichael is pretty responsive. Im lost…TY for everything

Could you expand that a bit? Are you saying that at your location you are running several boxes, where each one is set up as a full node? If so, all those nodes are fully synced?

Or rather that those are full nodes in your “Connection” part of UI.

I copy them using robocopy

I have a mix…full nodes synched and nodes where the height is blanked out which is new as usually you see if the IP is at a lower # or close to being a full node…I’m deleting the ones that are blank but they keep coming…ugggg

You cannot just copy those dbs as a normal file. Those are live dbs, and your copy could be done in the middle of a transaction. Again, the blockchain db is close to 30GB, so copying it will take some time. While you are half done, the new transactions that are pending may have started to update the part you already copied, and updated not yet copied part. As such you will have just partial data.

To use straight copy, you really need to stop the chia completely. Another option would be to check whether sqlite has some live backup, and use that instead.

I would really not bother touching that Connection section. The network is much faster than you, so it will keep you busy with those purges, while your box will try to maximize the number of those connections by letting new nodes to connect.

However, saying that, I checked my connections, and I see plenty of nodes getting stuff from my node, but sending me zilch. I understand that some nodes needs to get synced, but when most are doing that, maybe that is really not right. Maybe it is not just a massive mojo xfr, but rather fake nodes that pretend to be synchronizing, thus bogging everything down…

Yeah, this is a very strange issue. A stupid upgrade caused all of this. The question, I had Farmr running at the same time and it has a connection. Could it have done something bizarre? I don’t see it as it just listens.

@LSherring: The entire Chia network is bogged down by the current transaction spam attack, which prevents many nodes from even keeping up, let alone catching up (as your node is trying to do). The zombie nodes you are seeing under Connections are all starving for data from other nodes, and not providing any data themselves. @sargonas has described this here and on Reddit.

Everybody is hurting at the moment because of this: I’ve had 3.4% stales the last 24 hours, and I NEVER have stales. My rewards from Flexpool were down 30% yesterday and I assume even more today, because they cannot process blocks ATM while they implement changes from Chia Co to address the spam attack.

It is unfortunate that your database corruption happened just before this attack began – and it IS possible that other issues are causing some slowness on your client. But until the network is back up, you shouldn’t expect syncing to pick up speed.

In fact, I was encouraged to see that you had gotten to 118,000 (1-2 hours ago) given the current situation. As has been pointed out, you can still farm and still receive XCH, just not transfer XCH while this is going on.

The things that make a difference between nodes that get bogged down and ones that keep up are (1) CPU speed, (2) RAM size, (3) speed of disk holding the database. If your .chia folder is on a HDD rather than an SSD, it will definitely slow syncing down during this attack, even if not an issue during normal times.

I would just relax and let it do its thing. Hopefully the network issues will be resolved soon.

1 Like

Great information. Ty. How do you find out news about this attack and keep up with it? This would explain me going out of synch out of the blue as well. These blank nodes are killing things. Would we expect 1.2.11 shortly?

The following sub on Reddit has some discussion, including comments from Sargonas:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chia/comments/qjay0u/transaction_spam_attack/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I also checked Spacepool and Flexpool Discord servers.

I am sure most of the discussion is on Keybase, but I refuse to install more 3rd party software to follow the Chia universe.

I have a ton of work to get done today, so I mostly just let it happen and hope it resolves itself.

Afraid I don’t know. I think they are primarily trying to address this on the network itself, by introducing fees to discourage spamming. Being essentially a python script, the official Chia client was never very efficient or well optimized, particularly the Windows version. I would assume that that contributes to the problem of choking weaker nodes.

1 Like

I know. But when yoi restore it smd restart Chia, transactions will sync up.

I honestly think his node is buggy, I connected to him twice, the connection was dropped in a few mins each time with no issues in the log, so I didn’t drop him.

And when he tried to add me his node just failed to do so.

1 Like