Plotting and farming in the cloud

You can buy a 10TB HDD for less than the cost of renting 10TB of cloud storage for one month.

Storage for your farm plots is the single most expensive element of Chia farming. The cost of farming using rented cloud storage for your plots will result in quick bankruptcy.

Please tell me where I can get a 10TB drive for $40.

1 Like

You rent 10TB of Cloud storage for $40/month? OK, that is $480/year.
So I could buy a 10TB hard drive every year for less than $480. My drive will last for many years while your cloud will cost me another $480 next year.
I have not seen 10TB of cloud storage for anywhere near $40/mth ā€¦ most quotes are over $1000/mth for 10TB online/interactive Cloud.
Spending even $480 a year for 10TB completely removes any possible Chia profit margin.

Whatever you just said doesnā€™t back up your initial comment:

ā€œYou can buy a 10TB HDD for less than the cost of renting 10TB of cloud storage for one month.ā€

I was just asking where I can get a 10TB HDD for less than the cost of renting 10TB of cloud for ONE MONTH.

Soooooo where?

Iā€™m paying $4 for a TB FYI

1 Like

I cannot buy a 10TB drive for $40 but this does not negate the fact that your $40/10TB/mth Cloud model is a huge and avoidable expense for any Chia farmer.
I have 128TB of 8TB drives that cost me under $4000. They will continue to serve me for many years.
Renting 128TB of your cloud at $40/10TB/mth would cost me over $4000 per year, again, and again, and again.
I can buy an equal amount of storage every year for the cost of your rental.
Financially, the only person to gain from your cloud is its owner.

Iā€™m not disagreeing, and to each their own.

I was just genuinely curious where I can buy 10TB drives for $40.

Thanks for clarifying!

I am trying not to succumb to the last word and/or need to be right syndrome but your, ā€œeach to their ownā€ reply overcame my good intentions.
Only a person who cannot do math would choose to rent something that they need permanently.
Even at your unheard of $4/TB/mth I can buy more storage every year than the cost of renting the same amount of your cloud space for just that same year.
Beyond this, what if your cloud crashes, goes bankrupt, or suffers other malfeasance? I could then have no cloud, no plots, and no storage of my own. What security guarantees do I have using your cloud?
I am not impressed with your continuing to ignore financial reality in order to promote your service.

I trust cloud a bit more than a single hdd, and at current network growth cloud is just cheaper, you dont have to buy more storage than you need you just add plots and pay as u go, after another months of remotely similar growth the cost of electricity basically makes it the better choice
Even if u farm for 6 months, it doesnā€™t make sense for anything above 6 months outside that you donā€™t have had such a big fixed cost, and can just scale while itā€™s profitable endlessly

And less risk of hdd shortage and scalping prices, I really prefer it for anything above 200tb

1 Like

Have you considered the fact that I live with and take care of my 70 year old parents in a small 400sqft apartment who are sensitive to sound, and cannot have 100 hard drives spinning? Maybe too fast to judge someoneā€™s situation?

Also, what services am I promoting? LOL Iā€™m a customer who is paying to use the cloudā€¦ not quite getting you there.

Alright lets breath, there is no need fight over the interwebz about this kind of stuff, everyone has their own beliefs n truths n experiences

Sorry, I thought you mentioned being on staff.

I get not wanting the HDDs, but not wanting to flush your money down the toilet.

Renting cloud space for Chia farming will have your spending exceeding your income on day one, and this will just get worse as your plotted size remains static while the network grows.

I was judging your mathematics and business sense as you have figured out how to turn a long shot into a guaranteed loss. I never made any comment or judgment on your unknown situation.

I will now. With the three of you packed into 400sq feet (is that legal?) maybe you are not set up to be a Chia farmer and maybe you should be renting a bigger pad, not cloud storage.

BTW, your counters are lame and overdone/fake. You keep trying to make conversation points while not questioning your base premises. That is just a waste of our time. Iā€™m outta here! :sweat_smile:

Everybody chill please

1 Like

My position on this is pretty much unchanged - the value of a cloud plot is close to zero. The quantity of ā€˜plotting servicesā€™ popping up seemingly every day does not lend confidence to the economics of this model - since selling plots is obviously more profitable than harvesting them in the cloud, nor do previous posts here with people trying to sell existing plots in clouds for any tiny amount because theyā€™re being bitten to keep them hosted.

Cloud plotting lets you easily rent the hardware to produce masses of plots at a very appealing price, but getting them down to your on-premises storage is limited by your connection bandwidth, which is harder to scale than running on-premises plotters, and keeping them in any cloud is at best dangerously close to being more expensive than storing them on-prem at the expected ROI time-frame (with object storage), but more often than not significantly more expensive (any cloud block storage).

The entities that can benefit from the economics of cloud farming cannot be the ones selling plotting services, else theyā€™d be using that capability to farm for themselves, if clouds start renting semi-permanent storage, e.g. a ā€˜store your plots on these disks until we need the disksā€™ service, then maybe this will look more appealing - but if clouds can offer that service, and if itā€™s viable, there is little incentive for them not to do that themselves and cut out having to deal with customers.

Also, these cloud plotting services must be extracting some value, for doing very little beyond making a nice web interface - anyone comfortable plotting at home who isnā€™t concerned by the economics of cloud plotting could and should be bypassing middlemen and going directly to whichever cloud providers the plotting services are using.

2 Likes

Has anyone used ChiaDedicatedā€™s services? They seem too good to be true.

1 Like

I think not impossible but realy think yee. This now i have 12x14TB server , 560 usd / mo . I think this is low cost .

Your rented 164TB equals 149.16TiB. Assuming you can plot every last TB today, the advanced Chia calculator says:

Estimated Total Earnings

XCH after 6 months

USD after 6 months

$1.73k

Estimated Total Earnings

XCH after 1 year

USD after 1 year
$2.77k

Estimated Total Earnings

XCH after 3 years

USD after 3 years
$6.61k

So using the advanced Chia calculatorā€™s very optimistic assumptions in the advanced calculator you stand to earn $6.610 in three years in return for your investment of 36 months x $560 or $20.160 (plus tax?). You can expect to lose over $13,000 over the course of three years and it just gets worse as the total network grows.

You can outright buy that amount of storage for under $5000 which will definitely last longer than three years at less than one quarter the price of renting it for only three years.

Do you still think this is a low cost?

1 Like

Thatā€™s very steep. You can buy a new 14TB every month in less then what you are paying in monthly rent. In a few months , if the HDD prices come back to normal, you may just get two drives in the same price.

I just want to add that ChiaDedicated.com is a fraud.

Aspy68, nirvana1122 :slight_smile:

What you write is completely true. But one thing they forgot. The time factor. In the strategy you describe, the lowest possible TB maintenance cost is decisive and it is a very long-term strategy.
But if I take the same money and compare a system - built on your strategy - and a system I think of, the difference between the two is about 2-3x.
You lose, say, for simplicity 10 TB for $ 300 purchase price, and 192 TB rental for $ 300 / month.

If I have $ 30k, Iā€™ll divide my money by 2 and rent as much storage out of it as I can with a proper plotter performance, of course.
This is in this calculation:
My strategy: 50 x 192 TB ā†’ 9600 TB ā†’ monthly income: 95300 USD / mo
Your strategies:
100 x 10 TB ā†’ 1000 TB ā†’ Monthly earnings: $ 9,530 / mo

I think cheap and expensive are relative concepts.

Renting storgae is cheap or expensive ?

1 Like

Your math is bad.

I dont know where you came up with 192TB as you were talking about renting 168TB for 560/mth. Even if you do get 192TB for 560/mth. your cost of rental for 9600TB would be $28,000/mth plus tax.

9600TB = 8700Tib. If you could magically fill this space with valid plots instantly (which you cannot), the advanced calculator says:

Estimated Total Earnings

XCH after 1 year

USD after 1 year
$154.34k

28,000/mth rent x 12 = $336,000.

Your estimated income for the first year is $154,000. Your fixed expenses for that same year are $336,000 before you have paid to lay down a single plot. Over a year you will spend more than twice as much as you earn.

Scaling the rental to plot production will reduce your loss, but now you need to work the numbers for how much plot production is going to cost and how fast your plot production is. Now add that to your expenses. I have worked the numbers. Loss grows when you include plot production expenses, even if you scale the rental.

You cannot convince me that spending more than twice as much as you earn is anything but crazy, let alone a good business model.

If you had your 9600TB filled already and farmed it starting now you would turn a small profit for two months before the total Chia network space growth and your rental costs turned you into a net loser. So you would be correct and make maybe $20,000 profit. But, you have not taken into account plotting cost or time. 9600TB will hold over 9000 K32s. At $2/plot, there goes your ā€œprofitā€. With your unattainable starting goal, your strategy does not work because you cannot insta-fill your space with plots for free. Even if you could, you would still be lucky to turn any profit for the first two months and after that you would become a sure loser again.

I suspect you are using the basic Chia calculator and not converting TB to TIB. Your earnings projections are way out of whack. Always use the advanced Chia calculator. Even the numbers it returns are based on some brave assumptions.

Iā€™ll end where I started.

Your math is bad.