Xeon e5-26xx slow plotting

This is the most useful I found for Plotman/Linux but might be more about now → hopefully SlothtechTV will sort a Swar/Linux one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: → It looks very similar to this Plotman one though, so I think it should be straight forward enough.

Credit to Chia Decentral :+1:

Use pause alot and you will get there - I had no idea to begin with. I am using linux on one machine but I had to use Windows on the other as plotting wouldn’t take to it at all for some reason.

1 Like

Yeah im waiting for SlottechTV to upload a video on how to use swar or plotman in ubuntu because the way he explains is very understandable. I’ve watched this video from chiadecentral but find it a bit confusing.

I’ve recieved the 16GB sticks, installed all 4 of them and restarted swar. Let’s see in a couple of hours how this goes (still windows).

@SlothtechTV
Are you using anything to pin processes to specific CPU’s and with each process only uses memory from one NUMA node?

Helo, nice to see you here @SlothtechTV
I have system for plotting and this is my firts plotting rig
:
2x xeon 2680v3 with total 24 core 48 threads
2x 4tb intel p4500 with raid 0 total 8tb for temp space
9x 5tb hdd internal seagate surveillance for final destination
128 gb RAM ddr4

I need your GUI windows 10 setting suggestion and maybe sw4r plot manager ( im still learning on this sw4r) setting to max out potential in my system for plotting

Thank you

I installed ubuntu and swar (installing swar was quite easy). The results are quite surprising to be honest. Thanks for the tip!

Problem in windows was, besides having the bad 64gb ram stick, that the second cpu wasn’t even being utelized for chia… don’t know why. seems to be no issue in ubuntu

@blachaxxx
Tru ubuntu for plotting

3 Likes

Woah thats pretty cool – how does the CPU look? What is that thing actually capable of?! I mean thats what like 52+ plots per 24 hours yeah? ill be honest i dont have any 2699 v4’s… or duals for that matter… but thats pretty damn impressive so far.

1 Like

Thankyou

I actually have only 3 nvme drives, limitting me. So I just ordered another 2TB nvme. After that I expect the RAM to be the litting factor, just 64GB 2133MHz.

Here is a screenshot of the cpu usage, CPU’s hovering around 45% i think:

On windows they ran at 2.7GHz, in ubuntu I dont know how to check these in details

using cheap chinese x99 mb (zx-du99d4 v1.12) altough there are some which are better x99 from the chinese. The one I have has only 2 memory channels per cpu The orders have 2 channels per cpu. Didn’t do my research good enough when I bought it.
For nvme I’m using chinese PCIE nvme adapters with built in pcie switch, so it works on mb’s without bifurcation.

1 Like

very cool – i was going to originally make a video about those cheap x99 motherboards … and recommend them… for all builds then i realized it would probably not be understood by a large portion of the audience… they come with quarks… but if you know how to throw one together they are a HUGE value.

1 Like

True, plus there is no support if you have any issues with them. If i could i would choose a different board (4 mem channel x99).

1 Like

Hi can you help me with the setting for my system above please?

I have almost no positive experience plotting with gui. Check out some youtube videos about it and when you’re comfortable switch to swar plot manager or plotman.

Don’t use the gui on a system like that.
It is okay to get to understand the basics, but if you want robust and serious output, change to a plot manager (like swar) asap and start experimenting with settings.

1 Like

I have a 2X e5 2697V2 with 12 cores 24 threads (total 24/48) and at 8.5hrs per plot on parallel load. I have 128gb ram so using bucket of 64, with 2 firecuda 2tb nvme. I went for 12+ hr per plot to 8.5hr with just changing the bucket size.

I have 2x e5 2699 V3 18 cores 36 threads (36/72) 64GB ram. This is plotting on spinners because NVME is such a waste of money. I still don’t know my plots per day count because I was experimenting with the setup. I started with Windows 10 and I was ready to sell everything because of 20+h per plot on a single drive.
Now Im on Ubuntu and I can do less than 11h30m per plot with a total of 16 drives(plots) so 36plots per day for exactly $200 for 16 drives( 600GB 2.5" 10K SAS).
The screenshot is my latest setup with an additional 8(3TB 3.5" 7200 SATA) drives that were used to be destination drives but now are temp and fill themself.
I have 3 x2TB NVME (~$800) and after I saw their life going down so fast, I decided just to upgrade my laptops/PC and save them for good. Thanks to @SlothtechTV for the youtube video with the spinners.
The reason for the post is also to thanks @greenicetea who converted to Ubuntu and gave me hope and also to show that the thread count does matter.
Don’t listen to ppl saying 2 threads are enough. Every setup is different. The last 3 plotting drives use 2 threads and the rest 3. See what’s the difference in Phase 1 ( around 30-40min ). I would switch down to 2 threads if I add more plotting drives and that will make up for the slowing down. First I will need to get a second SAS expander to hook up to my second HBA

yeah, same here, it is kind of slow but steady. If you have more than 64GB RAM just plot at least 16 plots simultaneously provided that you have enough HDD and/or NVME connected. If you do 16 simultaneously they eventually find a random equlibrium anyways

Hi
I’m running dual xeon e5-2698v3 2.3GHz (32c/64t)
128gb ram
Dual 4tb nvme ssd
12tb hdd (some 8tb hdd)

Currently using Windows GUI plotting.
20plots around 15hours. (Each 4tb ssd 10plots as temp drive)
The setting:
20 plots parallel, 15mins delay, 4000mib ram, 3 threads.

Currently trying to increase my plots count per day.
Start learn about swar plot manager, linus os better than Windows.

Any suggestions on setting?

I’m running dual xeon e5-2697v2 2.7GHz (24c/48t)
128gb ram
Dual 2tb Firecuda 520 nvme ssd
8 * 16 tb sata hdds

Currently using SWAR on windows.
9.5hrs per plot average.
35 plots per day.
The setting:
14 plots parallel, 35mins delay, 6832mib ram, 6 threads, 64 bucket and max 6 in phase 1.
That 7 max concurrent and 3 in phase 1 per ssd.

I have another 2tb ssd arriving today and should theoretically be able to push upto 45 plots per day.

1 Like

Hi,

May I know 64bucket vs 128,any big difference on the plots per day?

Is 68xxmib ram setting really affected alot? Saw alot of 4500-5000mib is sweet spot.

These CPUs have very slow single core performance. They shine only when you start plotting in parallel massively. You have two of those in your machine, that is 72 threads!!! You need to get enough RAM and to run 54 parallel jobs! That means 192Gb RAM and 7 or 8 2Tb NVME drives to max out the machine, provided it has enough PCIe lanes for all those drives. But you probably would be fine with less.
If you are not planning to buy those, then I really hope you did not buy that machine for plotting only…

Hey,

I look at a massive phase 3 bottleneck. 10 hours for phase 3!

How can I optimize my system?

System

I use Swar with 4 threads, 45min stagger, and 4GB RAM per plot.
17 max concurrent plots, 5 plots max in phase 1.

I use Ubuntu Desktop and a software raid 0 on the NVMEs

See attached

Thanks all in advance!

Are you able to TRIM those NVMEs in RAID? If not, I see potential issues in your future.